Fuel for harvesters/drillers

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:20 pm

the_antisocial_hermit wrote:
Seko showed some pictures and linked a site talking about manual harvestors and drills. Those things did exist, and Cantrians can be seen as using similar things.

Make new and better harvestors and drills that require engines and fuel to get more output instead and leave the old ones there as an option, too. Then if a community or company sees it as beneficial to invest more time and materials in making and using one, they can go ahead and do it.

Cantr is already dying. The server is slow and the learning curve grows greater and greater.

I've always wondered what it'd be like to be a girl for a day, but today is not that day, I'm not Seko, lol ;)

I did think about what you suggested for bigger and better machines just before I read that part of your post. I think the current machines in Cantr resemble a stage just before the industrial revolution, or at the beginning, and bigger and better machines would then be full industrialisation.

As for Cantr dying, I think you are partly right, compared to when i started playing it seems somewhat stale and stagnant. I think perhaps the available land is too great for the current player base, everywhere seems sparsely populated, but no where seems to have enough people to do anything large scale. That's not relevant though, just my musings
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:31 pm

What is this burning desire among some staff to shit all over player's best laid plans and proudest aclompishments?

Yes, Cantr needs to grow. Yes, many places can't develop much more and they need more to do.

But it's really bloody difficult for lesser developed areas. CHanges like this just make it worse.

Why this fixation with changing what already exists and works fine?

Vehicles didn't need fuel, sure, it's realistic, but it won't be much fun watching the vast mojority of vehicles rust? Where will be the inter-location trade when no one can move?

The answer is not to make what currently exists even more difficult - because it's already really bloody difficult for the lesser developed areas.

The answer is to come up with new stuff, not nerf the already existing implementations.

Staff complain that all players do is, complain.

We mostly complain about changes. You'll find praise is new additions such as the variety of foodstuffs, the new clothing and jewelery, the new additions to the item databases, the new abilities such as signs.

The answer would have been to develop helicopters, speed boats, or some other new addition to the vehicle remit, mass production factories, mass harvesters, giant drill machines, and make these require fuel.

That will produce new goals for the developed areas and not screw the lesser developed areas.
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:46 pm

Requiring fuel also means continually either producing some fuel or trading for fuel regularly to keep it running, which becomes tedious after awhile.

:|

Requiring food for the characters means the same, but no one asks for removing the hunger feature.

Requiring limestone for the iron and steel means the same, but maybe you find that searching for limestone is funnier than searching for fuel.

Requiring...

C'mon :roll:

EVERYTHING in this life become tedious soon or later (have you ever talked with a elder person?), except people.
AND the only solution is to bring more DIVERSITY. And there are up to four types of fuel (maybe more in the future) you can use :D

BTW, one of the systems is almost universal: alcohol. Most of the places that have potatoes or a kind of grain.
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:53 pm

Summing up...

Making current drillers/harvesters to require a minimum amount of workers (but not fuel not motor nor animal)

Leaving place for new motorized machines that will boost the production.

Leaving the future possibility of "adding" a tamed animal to the "old" harvester, removing the minimum number of workers and giving some increase to the output.

What do you think of, guys?

:roll:
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:12 pm

Nah, let's just leave it as it is, if we can't have fuel. My thought was to improve the outcome to balance the loss of the second worker and add some constant fuel consumption to make it actually require some thought to maintain. Now any idiot who walks into town can use it. Try doing that with an empty fuel tank.
Not-so-sad panda
deadboy

Postby deadboy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:20 pm

formerly known as hf wrote:What is this burning desire among some staff to shit all over player's best laid plans and proudest aclompishments?

Yes, Cantr needs to grow. Yes, many places can't develop much more and they need more to do.

But it's really bloody difficult for lesser developed areas. CHanges like this just make it worse.

Why this fixation with changing what already exists and works fine?

Vehicles didn't need fuel, sure, it's realistic, but it won't be much fun watching the vast mojority of vehicles rust? Where will be the inter-location trade when no one can move?

The answer is not to make what currently exists even more difficult - because it's already really bloody difficult for the lesser developed areas.

The answer is to come up with new stuff, not nerf the already existing implementations.

Staff complain that all players do is, complain.

We mostly complain about changes. You'll find praise is new additions such as the variety of foodstuffs, the new clothing and jewelery, the new additions to the item databases, the new abilities such as signs.

The answer would have been to develop helicopters, speed boats, or some other new addition to the vehicle remit, mass production factories, mass harvesters, giant drill machines, and make these require fuel.

That will produce new goals for the developed areas and not screw the lesser developed areas.

Totally agree. I am completely against implementing fuels for harvestors, as I was against implementing fuels for vehicles, and repairs on buildings, however, you add something new, for example the mass production lines I asked for a little while ago, now that I'd like, because the way to keep well-established communities keeping doing things is to give them new goals to strive towards, not to give them more tedious things that they have to do that they didn't have to do before that gets in the way of any other plans they might have had, as well as making things impossible for growing communities. As I said, the population in Cantr is decreasing and becoming more spread out. Therefore making it harder for towns to work, as well as them having less people is stupid. If we're going to have less people in town the only way to encourage inter-town relations is to make it easier for the towns
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we" - George W. Bush
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 pm

Sicofonte wrote:
Requiring fuel also means continually either producing some fuel or trading for fuel regularly to keep it running, which becomes tedious after awhile.

:|

Requiring food for the characters means the same, but no one asks for removing the hunger feature.

Requiring limestone for the iron and steel means the same, but maybe you find that searching for limestone is funnier than searching for fuel.

Requiring...

C'mon :roll:

Food is a basic need of real life and one of the few basic needs that Cantrians have.

No, I don't find looking for limestone and coal more fun than stuff for fuel. Fuel just adds to that mess of stuff that has to be done. I'd rather it be for something like vehicles than for minor things like machines.

Real cars use fuel. Real drills and harvestors were made at one time without engines and fuel long ago. Unless you use a Flinstone car, I don't think much car transportation was done without fuel. Don't get me wrong, I hate fuel for cars for many of the reason that people opposed to it stated in the thread for it. I hate it because just about the time I was starting to get interested in Cantr cars, my interest was killed. But at least it makes more sense than for harvestors and drills.

EVERYTHING in this life become tedious soon or later (have you ever talked with a elder person?), except people.
AND the only solution is to bring more DIVERSITY. And there are up to four types of fuel (maybe more in the future) you can use :D

BTW, one of the systems is almost universal: alcohol. Most of the places that have potatoes or a kind of grain.

Changes like that to existing machines is not diversity if there's not something similar to the old way. Hence I said make new machines and leave the old ones as is. As HF said, new things are what we need. Don't make old things more complicated. Yea, everything becomes tedious in life, but remember, this is a game. It shouldn't start out tedious.

Your last post is alright, Sico. It makes a decent compromise. But I don't see any necessity in it. I'd rather it be left alone and new things added to give that higher sense of technology that you are looking for.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:39 am

Solfius and ceselb did my work for me on page two. :) I see no need for fuel in them *cough* at this time.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:54 am

Whoops... sorry Solfius. >.<
DELGRAD

Postby DELGRAD » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:41 am

Sicofonte wrote:Summing up...

Making current drillers/harvesters to require a minimum amount of workers (but not fuel not motor nor animal)

Leaving place for new motorized machines that will boost the production.

Leaving the future possibility of "adding" a tamed animal to the "old" harvester, removing the minimum number of workers and giving some increase to the output.

What do you think of, guys?

:roll:

Supper. Just make the game more difficult.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:06 pm

Okay, I look at this and see possibilites... forget needing bigger, better machines, and forget removing the abilities to do it by hand. Get two projects on the same harvestor. One is Cantrian powered and goes at the current rates, the other is fuel powered and goes faster (and possibly is automatic) No need for fuel tanks. No need for new coding. Fuel goes in, (resources) comes out.
Scratch and sniff text
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:15 pm

That would be better.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:00 pm

Nakranoth wrote:Okay, I look at this and see possibilites... forget needing bigger, better machines, and forget removing the abilities to do it by hand. Get two projects on the same harvestor. One is Cantrian powered and goes at the current rates, the other is fuel powered and goes faster (and possibly is automatic) No need for fuel tanks. No need for new coding. Fuel goes in, (resources) comes out.

Those were my thoughts exactly.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
ceselb

Postby ceselb » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:21 pm

Yes, that does sound nice actually.
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:40 am

-rubs his hands together- :twisted:

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”