Label

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:57 pm

SekoETC wrote:Why? It would be useful if tools could be labeled, then people couldn't steal them so easily.

That depends on how easy it would be to change a label. I believe nothing concrete has been agreed on in regard to this point yet.
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:14 pm

It hasn't, so why not discuss it now?

Could labels be like signs, needing to be painted or engraved? I kind of like that, except maybe for keys, since that's entirely a convenience issue (I think of them like little paper tags).
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:33 pm

I agree that labels would have to be different from key tags and more like signs. I wonder if it would be useful to make labels unchangable (I think it would help with using labels to give items custom descriptions, if some major characteristics couldn't be changed), but we know from experience that unchangable texts tend to cause problems, so changing with sufficiently expensive tools seems like the best option.
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Of course it would require programming to display them but I don't see why it would be too hard. They could be saved in the same table as building signs, but the table would require a new column for object id since it would be wrong to store it in the location field.

Adding a sign would need a button since object names aren't a link anywhere unlike building names. The next question is should the item be on the ground or in the inventory while it's being labeled. If it had to be in the inventory, that would prevent the labeling of fixed objects such as containers, while if it had to be on the ground, someone could steal it and the labeling project would stick around like unfinished lockpickings. It's unfortunate that we don't have a way to bind some projects to an object rather than a location. I think having the target on the ground would be better because if people are worried about thieves, they can do the labeling indoors.
Not-so-sad panda
catpurr

Postby catpurr » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:58 pm

SekoETC wrote:Adding a sign would need a button since object names aren't a link anywhere unlike building names. The next question is should the item be on the ground or in the inventory while it's being labeled. If it had to be in the inventory, that would prevent the labeling of fixed objects such as containers, while if it had to be on the ground, someone could steal it and the labeling project would stick around like unfinished lockpickings. It's unfortunate that we don't have a way to bind some projects to an object rather than a location. I think having the target on the ground would be better because if people are worried about thieves, they can do the labeling indoors.

Why not do it like with repair? The object "vanishes" into the project until done.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:12 pm

A bone knife "made of mithril".

A bone needle named: "After yo mama".

A wooden stick labeled: "Dildo".

I think we need to carefully think through how this will be implemented. :)
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:43 pm

That's what I meant with "unchangable texts tend to cause problems" and why I think that an option to change the label on your own would be advisable. :)
Pretty in pink.
catpurr

Postby catpurr » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:10 pm

IMHO labels should only be visible if you investigate an item, not in the default timeline, however it would be nice if you could name objects as well as you do with people...

You see Franciska picking up >a sword<. (where a sword is clickable and nameable)

then

You see Franciska picking up Excalibur (a sword). (where "Excalibur" is clickable and renameable)

BTW. couldn't we have name tags to wear when we want also?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:11 pm

I was going to suggest the same thing as catpurr's first suggestion.

If we can't do it that way, I agree with Seko that they should be dropped.
Last edited by Doug R. on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:08 pm

It could be done so that the description could only be viewed while the item is in inventory, but then labels on fixed containers wouldn't show up. It would be handy if you could write "FREE POTATOES INSIDE" instead of having to post a note that says it's the container between the item and the other item.

Mind you, you can't really dynamically name signs, you name the vehicle or building they're attached to. And it's a bit silly that if you dynamically name a vehicle, you'll be able to recognize it even if the sign was changed. Others might not believe you when you claim it's the same vehicle, but personally you can have 100% certainty and that feels a bit like abusing the system. If dynamic naming was extended to items, you could say with 100% certainty that someone was carrying the sword that used to belong to your murdered friend. Then they'd have some trouble explaining how they got it. I don't think people should be able to recognize items with that much accuracy.

And naturally the labels wouldn't be permanent markings but could be removed or altered just like building signs. I think they should be restricted to just one per item though, since items in general are much smaller than houses, and you don't want that sort of clutter in your inventory.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:44 pm

Alright, so let me sum up so far.

-We want to be able to give objects, containers, and machines? labels.
-These are not like key labels, as you'd need sign tools and a sign project.
-The item has to be on the ground to add the label.
-Labels can be changed like signs.
-Labels would be one per item.
-We need a button added to do this.

I agree - no dynamic naming in this instance, just the label. (Not for the reasons you give, but for different ones - it's just unnecessary, and much more the the DB to keep track of).
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:44 pm

If the objects need to be on the ground then something needs to be done if said items are taken while being labeled.

OR prevent them from being able to be taken.

Or was it "agreed" on that people should just go in side?
FiziKx

Postby FiziKx » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:42 pm

Labels would be fantastic. Just make it a project that the item is used in and not shown like repairing. Is that possible?
http://arcanot.myminicity.com/
http://fizikx.mybrute.com

theguy

Postby theguy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:54 pm

I've got a feeling that if you made adding labels a project that you couldn't touch the items that had were being labelled then it may be abused so people are getting robbed so to protect there items they just put them all into labelling projects.

That would be especially bad if you need a tool to work on the project, you could make it so only people with certain tools would have chance of accessing your items. Seems a little unrealistic if all you are doing is just marking it.
Blog: http://undercontrol93.blogspot.com/

returner wrote: so I could probably make a Cantr III in my spare time :P

Well where is it?
Voltenion

Postby Voltenion » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:06 pm

That already happens with repairs, Theguy.

And people don't get robbed in Cantr, they get killed.
"Delete Fu Island" activist.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”