Instead of Whispering

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Genevieve wrote:It would be REALLY nice to not see the whole convo....thus my original suggestion ;-)

And that is why a filter would be nice. Just graying out "A talks to B" messages would improve readability a lot.

You see X talking to Y

instead of

You see X talking to Y
Pretty in pink.
playerslayer666

Postby playerslayer666 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:50 pm

it would also be nice if the staff gave everyone enough warning before adding changes to the game. i heard a message was sent out to all players hours after the changes were made. and Seko is right. it's silly that the whole town doesn't hear it....it's also silly that such a thing was even added to the game.
Elros

Postby Elros » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:51 pm

SekoETC wrote:Or the same in a picture.

If there's 35 or more people in a location, it becomes more likely that at least one person heard what was being said.

And I can add an event message for if someone heard what you just said, although honestly I think if the outside listener chooses to ignore it, you shouldn't worry about it. And always noticing the listeners also makes it impossible for people to pretend they heard something. A person could be all "I heard what you said there!" and another person was like "nuh-uh, my events log doesn't say that, I know you're lying!" Maybe the best way of implementing it would be that the "You have a feeling someone overheard what you were saying." message would only appear half the time when someone hears it, and sometimes it would appear at random to make people a bit paranoid. :roll:

Ok, so under the new system, when your whisper is seen, it is just seen by one random person, or everyone at that location at once?
Every action has a consequence.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:00 pm

playerslayer666 wrote:i heard a message was sent out to all players hours after the changes were made.

That's a fallacy, the message was there before the thing was implemented.

playerslayer666 wrote:and Seko is right. it's silly that the whole town doesn't hear it....

I never claimed I wanted the whole town to hear it. That should only happen if the person intentionally raised their voice. It's much more likely for a random person to hear it. Like imagine if you were in a party with a lot of people chatting to each other. You might catch pieces of the conversation here and there but couldn't follow it unless you perked your ears.

Elros wrote:Ok, so under the new system, when your whisper is seen, it is just seen by one random person, or everyone at that location at once?

I already said this a few pages back. Each listener has a 2% chance of hearing. If one person hears, that doesn't affect the chance of other people hearing it in any way. The amount of people who can hear it is not capped, but statistically it's less likely to be heard by a large amount of people than a small amount of people. After a test period I can get statistics on what was the biggest amount of listeners to overhear the same whisper, but I should wait at least a day before there's sufficient material for that.
Not-so-sad panda
playerslayer666

Postby playerslayer666 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:08 pm

my mistake i misread what my friend told me.

whispering has been the same for 7 years though. 7 YEARS!!!!!.......why change the rules now?
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:17 pm

Many things aren't done because no one's gotten around to doing it, or knows how, or can.

Just because it's been like that for a long time doesn't mean it shouldn't be different. And it make sense that some whispers are heard. Plus, whispers have been complained about for a long time. Seems like it's time for something to change.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Surly

Postby Surly » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Joshuamonkey wrote:Plus, whispers have been complained about for a long time. Seems like it's time for something to change.
Like skills, or tiredness, or foods, vehicles, weapons... all the half-assed implementations which were never finished.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
playerslayer666

Postby playerslayer666 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:25 pm

eh so you can make an entire text based game and for seven years not know how to make a change to it?......

ok well ignoring the fact that the above statement doesn't make sense.....how can you still justify making such a change to the game after it's been that way for so long? now it's just not the same. keep making big changes to the game and you'll have to call the game something different, cause it won't be cantr anymore. it will be......different.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:27 pm

Cantr is Cantr, not something else.
Read about my characters by following this link.
playerslayer666

Postby playerslayer666 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:28 pm

on another note if people didn't like whispering then i can imagine how much they will love having notes passed back and forth constantly :P
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:29 pm

Why I personally like this change: If you have to listen to people whispering for hours, it's more interesting if there's even a slight chance of finding out what they're saying. Also sometimes I wish more people could witness my awesome roleplaying, but posting in public would make a huge scene out of it. If my character is having a moment of weakness, they might do something like *leans against X's shoulder and cries* and that was said privately to X. If X happened to be offline, it might be nice to get instant comfort from someone who happens to be online, but if I posted that thing in public, it would be like screaming "Hey look, everybody, I'm depressed! Gimme some comfort, quick!" It's a damn shame that you can't do anything subtly in Cantr. Well now there is a chance you might. If people were allowed to choose the percentage themselves, that would make it even better.

It wasn't changed earlier because no one happened to come up with a way to do it quick and easy. But what do you care, playerslayer, you quit already. Stop worrying about it. Why are you still hanging around here if it's so awful?
Not-so-sad panda
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:30 pm

Cantr is always gonna change bud, get used to it.

My only comment on this implementation is merely to point out what I'm sure we've all thought about this while reading. It seems more people are against it, but two staff members want this, so it's thrown in, without any regard to the original topic suggestion, and not at all helping the problem that brought about the discussion that people don't want to see a whole page of whispers. Overhearing whispers does nothing to address this problem, besides forcing people inside.

As far as I could tell, Jos didn't approve it how it's set. He approved what Doug pitched, which is completely different from what Seko has implemented. I bet his reaction would be the same as Doug's when he realizes.

Honestly, two staff in favour, versus how many players and staff not involved in progD who are against, and you still push this through?

/rant.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
playerslayer666

Postby playerslayer666 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:30 pm

*Wiro wrote:Cantr is Cantr, not something else.

it can be green, titled cantr and function like cantr......but keep this up and the game will soon no longer be the same.
playerslayer666

Postby playerslayer666 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:39 pm

Rebma19 wrote:Cantr is always gonna change bud, get used to it.

in what way and to what degree? the game is very simple the way it is now. it's text based. it's hard to even have a proper fight in cantr let alone an entire war. any small change will have a big impact.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:41 pm

I've created a poll to see how many people are actually against it. Go vote.

http://forum.cantr.org/viewtopic.php?p=363874#363874
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”