Language Group Ambassador

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Doug R.

Language Group Ambassador

Postby Doug R. » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:30 pm

I propose the creation of a new position within the Language or Communications department called an Ambassador. The role of the Ambassador would be to monitor the English forums and the forums of their own language group and facilitate cross-language communication by making sure that their own constituents are kept abreast of relevant goings on, and also that the English community and the departments are aware of any issues that may arise.

I suspect that this is already done informally in many of the forums, but it would be good to have someone official that non-English speakers in the language groups knew that they could approach and know that their ideas were passed onto the appropriate forum or department.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:59 pm

Like your idea Doug... There is alot of people that have less knowledge when it comes to the english language. Those should have someone to turn to if they wish to pass on an idea of their own.

But acctually i've seen the LangD as those... Not only translating IG text but also as a translator at the forum.
in vitro...

Postby in vitro... » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:47 pm

i really like this idea. there was a lot of good suggestions fallen into oblivion on the Polish forums because there were nobody to translate and post it on English forums.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:35 am

I assumed that the various translators in LD were doing this anyway, but I suppose they aren't all forum dwellers. :) People seem to feel better with a shiny title, so maybe it would be worthwhile.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:04 pm

I am one of the two Spanish LD, I translate the Spanish suggestions (when there are), and the questions from and replies to PD when some player have asked for, and I have no LD nor ambassador tittle there. So in my opinion, I don't see this necessary.

But -shrugs- I don 't care about this.

Can be assumed that there would be more LD members (those ambassadors) in bigger language groups (i.e. Polish)?.
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:53 pm

Nice idea. Could also perhaps help as an ambassador in communication with staff - towards GAC and RD etc. - so that we take the various language regions properly into account ...
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:39 pm

No comments against, and seems a good idea, so moving to accepted.

Personel officers or GAC, is it your turn?
TheSkyReflection

Postby TheSkyReflection » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:26 pm

Don't you think that in such way you just increasing bureaucracy?

Just question.
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:16 pm

wichita wrote:I assumed that the various translators in LD were doing this anyway, but I suppose they aren't all forum dwellers. :) People seem to feel better with a shiny title, so maybe it would be worthwhile.
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:04 pm

TheSkyReflection wrote:Don't you think that in such way you just increasing bureaucracy?

Just question.

Yes, most probably... But this suggestion would make so the non-english speakers can get their words passed on by someone that can, that dedicates some of his/her time to do so.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:06 am

I raised the ambassador topic in the German Forum a few days ago and only got responses by two people so far. And it seems neither of them really needs an ambassador.

Being an ambassador for the German forum would be a mostly ceremonial job anyway, because there is so few activity. And I think that may be true for a couple of the other minor language forums, too.
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:51 am

*nods* Yes, as there is only a smal precentage that joins the forum and not all of those are active on the forum. It means that the smaler languages do not have the same activity as the general forum threads. But the swedish forum has become more and more active. When i started to play Cantr it could go for weeks before anyone answered or said anything. Now there is a new post on the swedish forum every one-two days.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:55 am

As long as the Suggestions get translated and put into the appropriate threads in the English or Polish forums so RD can know about them... :)
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:16 pm

There are other language groups besides the English and Polish, you know. We need to not forget their needs too, simply because they are a minority group in the player community.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:13 pm

Yes, translated into English Or Polish, as those languages have Suggestions forums.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”