Re: Brain Exercise...

Postby Peter » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:11 am

I like to be right.
Not that good.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:55 pm

I actually doubt that anyone would organize a knock-out tournament with a non-2^n-number of participants. The answer to the question probably stays the same, but if some competitors need to win 6 matches, while others need to win 7, the competition is inherently unfair and the status as "winner" questionable. The question might therefore be considered unanswerable.
Pretty in pink.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:38 am

Piscator wrote:I actually doubt that anyone would organize a knock-out tournament with a non-2^n-number of participants. The answer to the question probably stays the same, but if some competitors need to win 6 matches, while others need to win 7, the competition is inherently unfair and the status as "winner" questionable. The question might therefore be considered unanswerable.

That happens all the time in various sports, with seeding groups, qualifications, direct qualifications etc.

I hardly think the WC Football would be cancelled if there were 123 countries in the world.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Exactly. They have some kind of qualification round before the main tournament to reduce the number of competitors to a 2^n-number and don't start with an elimination sytem right away.

In order to complete your tennis competition in 72 matches you would have to automatically qualify 55 of your players and let the remaining 18 players fight an extra match for the remaining 9 positions.
Pretty in pink.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:41 pm

But this still mean that the two teams in the final could have played a different number of games to reach the final, so it disqualifies your disqualification of my original problem. :)

Besides it's my tennis tournament, I told you the rules in the first post about it.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Well, if you're using this riddle again some time, better use Roman gladiators. :wink:
Pretty in pink.
imaspy

Postby imaspy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:31 pm

bluenine, you got the wrong answer on the three-legged monster chicken question. There are 9 monster chickens out of 34 chickens total, so the answer was 9/34, not 9/25
imaspy

Postby imaspy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:34 pm

Peter, are you going to post a new riddle?
Eleiris

Postby Eleiris » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:36 am

This is an easy one; it's more of a short tale than a proper riddle, but I enjoyed hearing it very much. Too bad I can't say the same for my translation, though.

The peasant and the devil:

There was a peasant on a road complaining about his misfortune: "Life is unfair! What's the use of living! Here I am, beset with necessity! I only have a few copper coins in my pocket, and I must hand in all of them to the usurer to relieve me from debt. For the money they already have, rich people receive even more. How do they manage? If at least someone would come in my aid."

As soon as he said these words, the devil appeared before him.

-Well -said the devil with a smirk on his face- I can help you if you want. And it wouldn't be difficult either. See the bridge going across the river?

-Yes... I do! -answered the peasant with a shy, frightened voice-

-If you walk across it, your money will double. If you return to this side, your money will double again, crossing through either side, you'll have exactly twice as money as you had before you crossed. As simple as that.

-Re... Really? -asked the peasant, a glint of hope peeping in his eyes.

-I give you my word! -assured the devil with a wicked grin- but on one condition. Every time you cross the bridge, you will give me 24 of your copper coins as payment for granting you your wish. I won't agree to it otherwise.

-Sure! No problem! -said the peasant eagerly. -If the money will double every time, why wouldn't I give you 24 coins each time I cross? Okay, let's try!

The peasant went across the bridge and counted the money. He had in fact, twice as much. He handed 24 coins to the devil. Then he crossed back. Again, he had twice the money. He counted 24 coins, gave them to the devil and passed through a third time. The money doubled again. But it turns out that this time, there were exactly 24 coins, and he had to hand in all of them, as was the agreement... So he did. The devil laughed viciously as he took the money. -You fool! Here is where your greed got you!- he said, thereupon vanishing in the air.
And thus the peasant left, down the same road, without any money, and a debt still afoot.

The question is: How much money (copper coins) did the peasant owe?
Rescatemos nuestro oro mis valientes. ¡Con coraje!¡Con la espada! ...con los dientes.
¡Mi honra está en juego, y de aquí, no me muevo!
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:15 am

21 copper.

First crossing: 21*2 = 42
42-24 = 18

Second crossing: 18*2 = 36
36-24 = 12

Third crossing: 12*2 = 24
24-24 = 0

I guess I should read through the recent pages to see what kind of riddles have already been used.
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:10 pm

That was my solution, too, but I didn't want to ask another riddle. :wink: You really shouldn't accept such a deal unless you have 25 or more coins in your pocket.
Pretty in pink.
joo

Postby joo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:36 pm

monty43spears

Postby monty43spears » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:32 am

The values are not specified. It should be solved without values ?
And there is no such angle called AEF in the figure. Please correct it.
gejyspa

Postby gejyspa » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:11 am

It was obviously meant to be angle AFE. But I must admit, I don't remember enough geometry to solve it.
Last edited by gejyspa on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MelloYell

Postby MelloYell » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:20 am

i sent an answer in, but didn't really get a definitive response as to whether i was right, but i'm pretty sure i was. :lol:

Return to “Forum Games”