The Muck Pond

Forum to play non-Cantr related games on the forum

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Schme

Postby Schme » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:25 pm

(Congradulations, Fleegle! I thought you would. It's a very good game, and looks to me that it's quickly becoming popular. You've got your work cut out for you! Haha!)

MushBall looked at the bird with apprehension. “This thing wants my fruit, and looks to me as though it could well take it had it mind too.” Another, even more unnerving thought came to him. “Oh dear. Perhaps I should have thanked Urdast the god. It was, after all, him who brought upon this fruit, and it was awfully good of him, as it had saved me the trouble of taking it from that awfull monkey.”

To spite have never heard of Urdast before, and never having remembered giving him permission to be a god, the display of the theft of fruit from the monkey made it quite obvious that this fellow had power, or was at least well connected. The wind must be a very powerful ally… He was really afraid that the god would be angry that he had not offered his thanks, but he would not admit this to himself, being a mushman of pride.

“Perhaps I am even in the presence of one of his vengeful agents, come to- oh dear! Maybe we are even in the presence of the very god himself! They do seem to like to take the form of animals, or at least the monkey god! Oh dear! Oh dear!” He now deeply regretted not having made some sign of thanks to the god.

He made a quick glance to Kitty, showing his nervousness.

But he soon regained his normal composure, and then calmly, snatched up a fruit and offered it too the bird. “Why certainly, mate.” He seemed to say, waving and making odd hand gestures. “By all means. I am MushBall, Child of the Muck, and beholder of all that I see. This is my companion, Kitty. A pleasure to meet you. Might I inquire as to what you call yourself? I mighty fine set of feathers, you have there, aswell. I have to say, it makes you look quite handsome and important, for something not made of mush.”
"One death is a tragedy, a million is just statistics."
Joseph Stalin
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:59 pm

(Fleegle, I'm just walking through to the Old Temple. But, I suppose I'll react to the goings-on while I walk.)

Deleted 8)
Last edited by El_Skwidd on Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:
Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
Fleegle

Postby Fleegle » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:15 am

(I hate to do this to you El_Skwidd, but since you were heading to the Old Temple anyways, and a bit of time has passed since I wrote your last bit, I'm going to ask if you could remove that post, and I will write you a scene at the Old Temple. It's just easier that way. I will write a response to you disregarding your last post.)

(This one for El_Skwidd)

As Vex/Xev approached the Old Temple, Ilosep emerged from the main archway and shuffled towards them, holding his arm up in a kind of greeting.
"Greetings!" he announced loudly in a cracked voice, still a fair distance away.
He stopped a couple feet before Vex/Xev.
"Well I'm certainly getting my exercise tonight! I hope you are more agreeable than my last visitor. Such a shame to give such a gift to one who, I'm sure, will put it to criminal use! That's the fates for ya. Nothing can be done. Yes, I'm sure you must have run into it on the way here, Beelzebub it calls itself, winged creature, about this tall." He gestured the approximate height with one hand.
"Good, you've got a full stomach. Not good to accept one's fate on an empty stomach. Oh, I'm Ilosep by the way, god of justice."
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:00 am

Vex and Xev collectively crane their necks to look at the face of Ilosep. Another god, they think. The place must be full of them.

"Yes," Xev said nervously, "I think I remember something like that. He was outside under the Bonsai tree."

"No he wasn't, you imbecile. He was most certainly a few paces outside of the cave!" Vex snapped back.

"It doesn't matter. The point is, we've seen him. I'm Xev, and this is my other head Vex. An enormous, blind snake who fed us groff told us to come see you... although I can't recall the name..."

"It was Resuso! Sorry, Xev is a little slow," Vex interjected.

"I'm better looking, though," Xev chimed.

"Red eyes are hardly attractive, you buffoon. Anyway, there sure seem to be a lot of gods floating around. I was hoping maybe you could explain a bit of it all to us."

Vex and Xev look hopefully at Ilosep and wait for his response.

Fleegle

Postby Fleegle » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:08 am

(This one for Schme and Varrius)

The magnificent brown and silver-feathered bird took the piece of fruit in his mouth and gulped it down. It clicked its beak with delight.
"I thank you, child," the voice rumbled through MushBall and Kitty's minds. "I am none other than Urdast, god of the sky. This form I have taken, it is just an avatar. I was the wind that blew those fruit from the tree. I could have gotten the fruit myself, but I wanted to test you. Indeed I am pleased, MushBall. You have a kind and compassionate spirit. And Kitty, you are of a generous and helpful nature. You two make a good pair." Urdast clicked his beak in what could only be described as a kind of chuckle.
"I want you both to have a token of my kindness." Urdast hunched over, raised up his wings, and shook himself vigorously. Two feathers, one brown and one silver, fell to the ground before MushBall.
"One for each of you. I imagine you'll want the silver, MushBall, I know you have an affinity for it." Urdast chuckled, letting MushBall know he was on to him. "If you need to call on me in a pinch, those feathers are good for one favour each. Just blow on the feather and I shall be before you."
Fleegle

Postby Fleegle » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:25 am

(This one for El_Skwidd)

Ilosep raised an eyebrow at the curious exchange between the two heads. He made a puffing noise that seemed to indicate amusement. "Yes, it must be overwhelming for you lower creatures, meeting so many of us in one day. We are everywhere, in the air you breathe, the food you eat, the water you drink and wash with. Do not be misled by our avatars, they are merely mouthpieces. Though I must say I was a little disappointed when my lover's last avatar was viciously ripped apart by that nasty beast. She had such a lovely form. I am referring to Anesek, Keeper of the Muck, and goddess of life. You would not be here were it not for her."
He continued, "You will no doubt come into contact with several avatars before you leave this place. We are here to help guide you, as you are still but children. Enjoy it while it lasts, for we will not always be with you... at least not on a personal level."
The old man paused, and made a gesture with his index finger that indicated he had more to say. "Oh, and Resuso isn't blind, though I can see how you may have gotten that impression. His avatar is a giant snake, so he is lacking eyelids. No, I assure you he has quite good vision."
"But enough chit-chat, you really must follow me, as I must assign your fate. It is really quite important, if you're going to make anything out of yourself. Let's not dilly-dally, I promise you it won't hurt a bit. Come, follow me into the temple." At this, Ilosep turned on his heel and shuffled back to the ancient structure.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:32 am

"Tagus you say?" Always in a low deep voice. "If the wonderful cries of pain I heard came from there, what makes you think I don't want to meet this - Tagus?"
The blue kitty sneaks up beside me and I shift my gaze to it. It just sits there looking at the Garob pitifully.
After the Garob's outburst and the remarkable shift in wind settles down she runs after some fallen fruit.
My gaze moves back to Garob and I ask calmly in my rumbling voice "What do you know of Tagus little one?". "it may be wise to answer carefully, you wouldn't be the first god I eat today"
My old banner ;)
Schme

Postby Schme » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:51 am

MushBall was greatly relieved. The god had not come in vengeance, but in judgement, and, yet again, through his great wisdom and benevolence, had turned a potentially terrible situation into opportunity. “What a prodigy I am!” he thought.

He then regarded the feather, shining like the sun glinting off the muck. This god did indeed have very good taste. And what insight. He must be as intelligent as myself. An intellectual equal, thought the man of mush.

“And a very nice fellow aswell.” Thought he “ Generous, wise, sophisticated in his taste, and nearly and quite handsome for someone covered in feathers. Why, he is rather like myself! I am godly in my own way, if you think about it too. I think it must be great fun, being a god. What a wonderful pastime. He must have a very exciting life. Wonderful taste indeed!”

He made a sweeping bow. “I am greatly honored too be in your presence!” said he.

“Oh, you flatter us, your most generous and divine lordship!” said (or rather, tried to say) MushBall, regarding the compliments Urdast had payed them. “Very kind of you to say!” He went on. “Your wind was a very impressive display aswell! I person of great skill, you, yes most certainly! Truly amazing.”

“What lovely, generous and practical gifts!” he continued. “My most profuse thanks too you! I shall treasure it, and be careful as to when I use it! Oh, thank you, thank you oh great Urdast, supreme lord of the ever vast sky!”

MushBall did not know what “Blowing” meant, but he was sure it could not be too complicated, and being a person of vast intelligence, he would soon figure it out.

He gratefully knelt down and picked up the magnificent silver feather.

Joseph Stalin
Fleegle

Postby Fleegle » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:11 am

(This one for Snake_byte)

Garob stared at Urdast while Beelzebub spoke. He made a little growling noise and slowly moved his gleaming eyes over to Beelzebub, ever watching Urdast from the corner of his eye. He spat as Beelzebub referred to him as "little one".
"YOU would be wise not to be so insolent! You think I care about this, body!" He spat again as he said "body". "Anesek is weak, she doesn't believe in retaliation. I promise you, should you strike me down you will regret ever having stepped out of that miserable pond! So you better learn some respect!" The naked red monkey's chest pounded as he finished his rant. He paused, composed himself, and changed topic.
"It would be prudent for you to make me your ally. As it happens, I was getting to like you, before you made that silly threat. Those "wonderful cries of pain", as you put it, came from the last creature to wander into its lair. I was merely trying to prevent you from a most untimely end. So why don't you forget about the Tagus? I think we should rather talk of our new alliance!" Garob flashed a smile as he spoke the last sentence.
Last edited by Fleegle on Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:52 am

Garob stared at Urdast while Beelzebub spoke. He made a little growling noise and slowly moved his gleaming eyes over to Beelzebub, ever watching Urdast from the corner of his eye. He spat as Tagus referred to him as "little one".

Sorry.

As Garob throws yet another fit I stand my gaze moving to the cave. "If you wish to intimidate, perhaps you need a new body, all-mighty god."

"An ally you say?" It brought a thought to my manipulative mind. "Gods do not fear this Tagus? You seem to be afraid of quite a bit for a god, staying safely outside" I shift my shoulders up under my cloak-like wings always staying calm. "I assume that is why you're outside". "I'm still hungry. this Tagus sounds like he'd be a good meal".
My old banner ;)
Fleegle

Postby Fleegle » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:38 am

(How perceptive, Snake_byte. Thanks for catching that. I have gone back and fixed it.)

(This one for Snake_byte)

"Intimidate! Is that what you think I am trying to do? You'd better get your head on straight, my friend, if you want this little arrangement of ours to work. And you think I'm afraid of that brute? Why I have him under my thumb, you brainless groff-farmer! I don't go in there for the simple reason that there is no good reason to do so. It's full of nasty smells and rotting carcasses. Why anyone would want to go in there, I haven't a clue. It so happens that I am the sole reason that thing doesn't starve to death. I only share this information with you because I like you, despite your insolence." Garob grimaced at the end of his speech.
"Now about our arrangement. Perhaps you are not so daft that you haven't figured out how you might use your 'gift' to bring you great benefit. I can offer you my protection, and believe me Beelzebub, you will need protection when you leave this... cocoon. With me watching over you, even without your gift you would be a powerful force. But in return for this protection you must pledge to me a lifetime of service. And by all means, take your time to think about it... but I assure you it is an offer you do not want to pass up."
Schme

Postby Schme » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:11 pm

MushBall turned too look at the monekey and the massive grotesque creature. "This is what happens when creatures are not made of mush..." he thought, shaking his head. He couldn't say that he quite liked that monkey. Such violent tempers are unbecoming of someone in the posistion of a god, he thought. And if he was ready to converse with that terribly ugly creature, AND in addition to that, would not share his fruit, aswell as hated lord Urdast, he could not be a very good fellow at all.

Joseph Stalin
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:23 pm

Vex and Xev ponder what Ilosep had said. More gods? Anesek's avatar was eaten by Beezlebub? Perhaps it's a good idea to stay away from him if the gods are after him.

Ilosep is a refreshingly slow being, so Vex and Xev have no problems keeping up as they follow him into the Temple.

AngelSpice

Postby AngelSpice » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:58 pm

Audirda quickly follows the shiny fish into the depths of the ocean before the light of the shiny, silvery fish fades from her view. After a long swim, she enters a garden of Anemonies and bioluminescent marine plants. She gently swims among the plants and anemonies, taking in the beauty of the garden. As she comes to the center of the garden, she sees Dietris and her son waiting for her.
Fleegle

Postby Fleegle » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:20 am

(Schme, I'm going to wait for Varrius to write his response before I continue with your part of the story, again since you guys are so closely tied together)

(This one for El_Skwidd)

The Old Temple was much darker inside at this point, since the moon had sunk lower in the sky and no longer spilled its beams into the Temple. However, as Vex/Xev stepped through the archway, a mysterious, pale blue orb appeared high above them in the reception hall, casting a cool light throughout the room. The light did not seem to cast any shadows. It was as if the light were more like a fluid that filled the room.

This time, the parchments were already on the podium. Ilosep held up a hand behind him, indicating Vex/Xev to stop. He shuffled up the short steps to the podium and again assumed his judicial form. The ghost audience appeared again, though smaller this time, and not as noisy.
"Vex and Xev," he began, his voice having changed to a thunderous, commanding tone. "though Justice sees you as two separate individuals sharing the same body, alas the Fates do not make such distinctions. You must share what I am about to bestow upon you. Your fate is... Resurrection. You will be able to call upon the powers of Anesek and revive the recently deceased, provided their essence has not been recycled in the Muck Pond. You may only perform this once on any mortal creature or person. You cannot use it on avatars, since they have an immortal essence. You will be incapacitated for a short time afterwards, so use it carefully."
Ilosep blew the whistle and the ghosts vanished. All that remained was the pale blue orb. Ilosep gathered up the parchments and came to speak with Vex/Xev. "Splendid!" he exclaimed, returning to his softer, more human voice. "It is nice to see some justice tonight. You are deserving of this gift, and Anesek agrees. Hopefully you will be able to right some wrongs with this."
Ilosep placed a hand on Vex/Xev's shoulder. "Carry on now, go out into the world and do right in the name of Justice and Life! I hope you will come back and visit sometime, yes? And if you see anymore of your kin, tell them to come and see me. I asked Beelzebub to do the same thing, but I do not trust him to deliver the message. He is far too self-involved and greedy. Has a lot in common with Garob, that terrible little red monkey you probably saw. And on that note, beware. Garob is the vile god of temptation and trickery, and he can take on many forms, not just that gluttonous avatar. Wherever there is fire, he is listening, and he will always try to trick you into your demise, unless he thinks you can be of use to him. And with that bit of advice, I must leave you. I have to prepare more parchment for your brethren. So long now!"
At that, Ilosep returned to the dark room at the back, leaving Vex/Xev alone with themselves and the blue orb.

(The stipulation I put on the Resurrection power is to prevent one player from controlling more than one character. So you can't for instance, resurrect Varrius' blue man character, since he has already spawned a new character. But if Kitty were to die, you could resurrect her provided you did so before Varrius made a new character. Also, when/if you become incapacitated you must not respond to the events until I indicate in a post that you have awakened, provided you don't die while incapacitated.)

Return to “Forum Games”