Fantasy Role Playing Game Discussion (Ideas Welcome)

Forum to play non-Cantr related games on the forum

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

AoM

Postby AoM » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:18 am

@Schme: Yes, very much so. The snes game was inspired by Shadowrun, the pencil and paper RPG. The game was similar to classic D&D in that there were elves, dwarves and trolls running around, but different in that they wield guns, can hack into super computers, and sport hairstyles and fashions right out of the worst of the 1980's.

It's fun, but I'm guessing that the new d20modern could recreate much the same environment given the right amount of tweaking by a resourceful GM.
AoM

Postby AoM » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:28 am

Has anyone played or even heard of the Amber diceless rpg? I've seen examples of it played on other forums, and it seems like something that cantr players might be interested in.

The rules, at their basic concept, are quite simplistic. Whenever two people are squaring of against each other, the one with the highest stat in the relevant attribute wins, all other things being fair and equal. The trick of the game is to make sure all other things are never fair and equal.

Thus, there is a wide and varied selection of special powers, each of varying strengths and subtleties that characters can buy.

Also interesting is that character creation is based on a bidding/auction system with every other character involved, and everyone starts with the same amount of points to bid on particular attributes and abilities.

The most popular and quick way to play Amber is to have a throne war. In this case, all the PC's are heirs to the throne of Amber (The most powerful kingdom in all of existence according to the backstory). The current king is dying, so the heir's must use every ounce of their ingenuity and resources to overthrow, kill, or subdue their half-brothers and sisters in order to claim dominion over the greatest of all kingdoms.

I'm still researching it a bit, but I think some of you guys and gals would really like it.
Varrius

Postby Varrius » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:04 am

That does sound pretty damn good, I like the sound of it already.

My Offer of Being a GM is still open.
Last edited by Varrius on Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schme

Postby Schme » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:45 am

Sounds like fun.
"One death is a tragedy, a million is just statistics."
Joseph Stalin

Return to “Forum Games”