WWG VI: Salem OOC Discussion

Forum to play non-Cantr related games on the forum

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Dragonslayer4ever

WWG VI: Salem OOC Discussion

Postby Dragonslayer4ever » Sat May 14, 2005 7:03 pm

Alright guys and girls and girls and guys. We are in for a real treat this time. I'm your new GM for this game. :twisted: This game is going to take place in Salem for the witch trails. I will have the list of roles and such posted later. For now lets get the sign ups started.
I am the Dragon Slayer. And as long as I have my friends behind me. I will never fall.
Nixit

Postby Nixit » Sat May 14, 2005 7:19 pm

I'm in!

I've been to Salem to, for what it's worth.
Just because you're older, smarter, stronger, more talented... doesn't mean you're BETTER.
Dee

Postby Dee » Sat May 14, 2005 7:19 pm

Sign me up please :)
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Sat May 14, 2005 7:27 pm

Why not.... :)
Schme wrote:We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and most likely sooner. When you have such a lifestyle, everyone, including yourself, knows that you are likely to die.
Sparkle

Postby Sparkle » Sat May 14, 2005 7:29 pm

Hell, I've been waiting for something like this since I seen WWG for the first time! You can definetly count me in and look forward to my wonderful company again. :D
a day without cantr, is a day spent in bed convulsing and suffering from withdrawl
Dee

Postby Dee » Sat May 14, 2005 7:48 pm

Is anyone going to tell me what Salem is, or am I going to have to look it up?
Sparkle

Postby Sparkle » Sat May 14, 2005 7:53 pm

Salem is a town that had mysterious things happening in them.

Well, one day these little bad ass girls decided to do witch craft and was caught.

So, because they were scared of what would happen to them if they were found out they began making up stories that witches were doing things to them...

So in short these trials began to try and figure out who was a witch and who wasn't. If you were convicted to be a witch (even if you weren't) they would hang you if you didn't admit to it and let you go and I think do some other punishment if you did admit to it. Well most of these people were Christians and did not want to lie so alot of people died by hanging.

Um...that's basically in short what happened. There are still investigations to this day of how these girls would have these wierd episodes by these "so called" witches.
a day without cantr, is a day spent in bed convulsing and suffering from withdrawl
Nixit

Postby Nixit » Sat May 14, 2005 7:54 pm

Salem is in Massechucets (Sp?) and way back when there was like an outbreak of this disease or something. All the children were going histerical and hallucinating, and they assumed that it was witchcraft. So, they had witch trials!

That is a very brief and rough gist of it.
Just because you're older, smarter, stronger, more talented... doesn't mean you're BETTER.
Dee

Postby Dee » Sat May 14, 2005 7:56 pm

Thank you :)
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Sat May 14, 2005 7:59 pm

I just thought it was your stereotypical witch burning... thanks for the background :)
Schme wrote:We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and most likely sooner. When you have such a lifestyle, everyone, including yourself, knows that you are likely to die.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Sat May 14, 2005 7:59 pm

count me in...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat May 14, 2005 8:08 pm

I think they tortured people first to reveal the names of other witches... Even if you were not a witch (of course) if you knew you wouldn't make it you would blame all the people you don't like to pass the bad things forward and that way they got new suspects. I'm not terribly familiar with Salem but witch trials were usually very unfair, if someone was believed guilty they would die anyway, never mind if they confessed or not or if there was any evidence. A common way to test witches was to tie them up and throw them in a lake - if the person drowned then she or he was innocent (but of course it didn't matter much because you were dead then). But at least you got your reputation cleared and less time in Purgatory. But if you floated then you were a witch and were hanged or burned. So in either case you ended up dead! So it was best to confess quickly to avoid torture and slow death. (Burning in stake usually didn't mean suffering from the flames because luckily the fumes would make you faint before the fire reached you.)

Anyways, I've always gotten so depressed with these games that it's better for all I won't play anymore.
Not-so-sad panda
Surly

Postby Surly » Sat May 14, 2005 8:14 pm

I'm in.

For the first day when I'm lynched or eaten that is... :roll:

Anyway, I've been to Salem. And its in Massachusetts, for the spelling. From my point of view, that's really all there is to say. I didn't find it particularly interesting, but then I am a medievalist... The USA really doesn't have any history for me... :wink: [/quote]
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Nixit

Postby Nixit » Sat May 14, 2005 8:30 pm

Yeah, it's not amazingly interesting, but y'know.

I believe that the children, or at least a lot of them, were just acting crazy because they were bored.
AoM

Postby AoM » Sat May 14, 2005 8:43 pm

It wasn't because of a disease by the way. In the first case, a woman got in an arguement with a 13 year old girl. The girl then convinced her two siblings to help her in pretending to be "afflicted" by witchcraft from the woman they disliked. That woman was then hanged.

Four years later, some more children got the same idea. Three people were initially accused, one of whom was Tituba, a slave woman. Tituba knew that she was in a bad spot if she didn't confess, and so she admitted witchcraft and named the other two accused as her co-conspirators. With this, all hell broke loose. Families of the accused became enraged and tried to say that the accusing girls were lying, but "spectral evidence" was admitted in court at the time, and so instead the people who tried to protect their families ended up getting accused as well.

The accusers, in order to protect themselves, had to continue with the blatant lie. In the end, a lot of people got hung. One woman was spared because she was pregnant, but had to watch her husband get hung. It was a pretty intense display of superstitous idiocy.

...sadly, I cannot play in this game. But I hope you all have fun with it.

Return to “Forum Games”