The New Gods

Forum to play non-Cantr related games on the forum

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

dingo13and7

The New Gods

Postby dingo13and7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:02 pm

The New Gods

This is a Dingo-original game, but feel free to take this idea elsewhere and introduce it to whomever you wish :D

Anyway, the idea of the game is this: it's a reverse RPG, in the sense that the players are the gods of the world, and the GM (gamemaster, in this case me) is everyone else (i.e. the animals and people). As the GM, I'll spell out a basic story, and then anyone who wants to play will create a god, and will at that point be able to impart their actions on the world.

The Rules
1) Dingo is the GM. I'll do my best to lead the story, but ultimately, as in all good RPGs, the players should control much of the action.
2) Gods are based more on Greek/Roman/Norse mythology. That means that, while they are immortal, they are not omnipotent, omnipresent, or omniscient. They should have weaknesses and character flaws.
3) Each god is limited to one portfolio. For those of you not familiar with the idea of divine portfolio, it is simply the "realm of power" of that particular god. Using some unoriginal examples: Hades' portfolio was death, the underworld, and in some instances, trickery. Neptune's portfolio was the sea, earthquakes, and aquatic life. You get the picture. The only problem with those examples is that each god exampled had more than one portfolio. Pick JUST one.
4) Gods must be original. I don't want to see Hades, Zeus, Jesus. Because that's boring.
5) The only god/portfolio that is off-limits is the Maker. Sorry.
6) Most importantly: Be creative, and have fun!

How To Build A God
Name:
Brief Description:
Personality:

Portfolio: (A sample list is included below)
Weakness(es):

Examples of Divine Portfolios:
-Nature
-Life
-Death
-Civilisation
-Animals
-The Sea
-The Sky
-The Sun
-The Moon
-The Stars

So, hopefully, you get the idea. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. I tend to respond relatively quickly. Or at least I try :D And please don't forget to introduce your god to the other gods once he/she/it has been created.

The Story:
There is a brilliant flash of light, blinding in its heat and brilliance. An impossibly-huge, near-invisible force shapes the light and heat into a ball, and a sun is born. As it fills into its shapes, small specks of its light break of and float out into the dark void surrounding the sun, and the stars are born. By the light of the stars and the sun, two small balls of chaos can be seen floating near the sun, one larger than the other. The force moves over the land of the larger one, creating seas, skies, and lands. Lands ranging from deserts to mountains, from rivers that flow up into the sky, to volcanoes made from the stuff of stars themselves. Soon enough, life erupts on this now-planet: brilliant emerald vegetations creeps across the globe as plants of myriad other colours spread their rainbow on top of the green. Animals of all shapes and sizes, on the land, in the sea and the sky, begin to walk, crawl, fly, and swim around the world. But perhaps the most spectacularly of all, one animal rises on two legs, with an intelligence in its eyes far ahead of any others, and it smiles in its paradise.

The force moves the other globe above the planet so that, even when the sun deigns to sleep, this astounding creature may have limited sight in the dark. The creature smiles at the moon, and the stars, and the animals surrounding it, and the force seems happy.

Time passes--days, weeks, years, millennia, eons--and the force, called Maker by its creation, has become bored with its toy, and has moved on. Still amazed by the creature, however, the Maker decides to leave other in its place, to watch and rule, to shape, to build and destroy. The Maker reaches within itself, and using some of the light from the sun, some of the chaos from the moon, some of the dark of the void, and the essence of life from the planet, and creates the gods to watch over the planet.

Taking one last look at its creation, the Maker smiles, and moves on to greater and wilder things. This, however, is not the Maker's story. It is the story of the New Gods, and the Maker's greatest creation: Human.

The beginning.
"Shadow heard himself laugh, over the sound of the music. He was happy...He was going around and around and around again...
Then the lights went out, and Shadow saw the gods."
-Neil Gaiman, "American Gods"
freiana

Re: The New Gods

Postby freiana » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:37 pm

Name: Thavatika
Brief Description: She looks like a small innocent child, her eyes and hair completely black, her skin pale. Her mouth is a thin line, never smiling.
Personality: She is older in mind than in body, and is a thinking person. At all times she will try do be a fair judge, as she realizes her judgement is final. She doesn't make friends easily and is a closed, silent personality.
Portfolio: Death
Weakness(es): The grief of the world is projected directly on her. With every life she takes, she also takes the grief.

(I guess I am supposed to do something, too... Right?)

*she looks upon the world silently and thinks on what she sees for a long time. Then she walks with the creatures of the world invisibly and takes with her all the oldest of the creatures, their life send from where they came from. Silent tears stream over her eyes as others miss their loved ones, but she does not stop*
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:45 pm

Name: Thomos
Brief Description: This god of twins is always accompanied with a dog, most of the time caring for her lots of puppies. He carries a mirror with him.
Personality: Though he has a very caring nature, he can suddenly get mad over the pettiest things.
Portfolio:Twins (he determines if someone gets one, two, three or even more babies, when they conceive).
Weakness(es): He really can't stand crying children and people who don't care for their children.

*he looks down, and, as he sees all the grief being brought to some children, while others are taken care of. He then gets down, visiting busy bedrooms, and starts redistributing children, placing twins and triplets with caring parents*
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:39 am

Name: Isopoth
Brief Description: A small, willowy man with curly blonde hair and bright green eyes. He almost looks like a child.
Personality: He is foolhardy, always playing tricks on others and causing general mischief. He loves to laugh and have fun.
Portfolio: Chaos
Weakness(es): He never thinks of the consequences of his actions, so the things he does generally backfire on him.

*He grins down at the human, nudging Thavatika's shoulder* Why're ya cryin'? *He giggles, snapping his fingers and causing one of the humans to fall on his face. He beams* There! Much better!
dingo13and7

Postby dingo13and7 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:44 am

The humans, momentarily frightened and weakened by their Maker's loss, find solace and comfort as the forces of the New Gods begin to fill the world. Happiness and aggravation fill the hearts of those touched by Isopoth, and where his gaze follows so too does a willingness of the humans to break laws they've spent millennia forming. And in other parts of the world, parts where Thomos sets foot, women find themselves birthing more than one child at a time. And of course, in all places, the death caused by Thavatika follows, often causing grief, which of course backflows to her. In one special place of the world is the settlement of Bakana, where all the gods have walked or watched, and their influence has been felt.

The human settlement of Bakana, Year 3000

A woman by the name of Ki'liri, soaked in sweat, clutches two newborns in her arms--they are twins, a boy and a girl. She names them Thora and Thomas, in reverence to the god that caused their miracle. Even as she falls into a long sleep after naming her children, she curses the name of Isopoth, the god that caused the man she loved to first create child with her, and then to run away on last full moon. Her heart still weeps over her loss, and yet she thanks the death god for allowing her to live and name her children. She has heard that many women die with their first child.

In another part of Bakana, a seemingly blind man named Pter stumbles through a tavern crowd. He apologises as he bumps into people several times, but is forgiven when they realise his condition. He leaves before he has warn out his welcome, and ducks into a back alley. Here he counts his earnings--over ten gold s'aran coins picked from the pockets of the unsuspecting. He pulls one of the ten coins out and tosses it into the air, dedicating a tenth of his "winnings" to Isopoth.

Unfortunately for Pter, as he goes to move out of the allow, something causes him to fall on his face, and he does not see or sense the cloaked figure behind him, knife in hand. The figure quietly approaches Pter and once he is upon him mutters quickly, "I dedicate this life to Thavatika". He slides his knife into Pter's back, removing the man's coin purse as he flops to the ground. As quickly and quietly as he came upon Pter, the hooded man hurries on. Dying slowly, Pter moans softly. "Somebody....please....save me...."
"Shadow heard himself laugh, over the sound of the music. He was happy...He was going around and around and around again...
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:58 pm

*Isopoth mutters a curse under his breath* Of course, that dumbass decides to stab one of -my- faithful followers! *He glares down at the murderer, bestowing a curse of misfortune upon him. He sighs, frowning with concern to Pter* What to do...
freiana

Postby freiana » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:22 pm

*Thavatika appears next to him, watching the man on the floor* He is coming with me. His mother will weep for days.
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:33 pm

Thavatika! *He places a hand on her shoulder, frowning* Why must you take him from me? There aren't many people who'd worship me... Could you at least spare him?
dingo13and7

Postby dingo13and7 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:29 pm

On the border between life and death, Pter sees something many humans does not--two gods, talking over his near-dead body. Struggling with his breath now, he reaches a hand up to Isopoth.

"P-please...," he gasps. "Please...d-don't let h-her take me...." He glances to Thavatika. His eyes turn back to him, imploring his deity of choice to rescue him.
Tyson

Postby Tyson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Name: Arathamea
Brief description: This god of hunting is mainly in good enough condition to run his prey down, he have dark hairs almost touching his shoulders and eyes coloured by blood of thousands animals he have hunted. He usually have also hawk on his left arm and tall hound at his right side.
Personality: He is nice enough for people who sacrifices part of animals they've hunted to let them continue hunting, but for those who doesn't, he might send hunters of his own to them while they are sleeping to either take part of them, usually the heart, or to take them as servants for time they've paid the cost. He enjoys watching the arguing and the death, was it human or animal didn't matter, because prey's fear and suffer makes him sometimes feeling stronger.
Portfolio: Hunting
Weakness(es): It is hard to him to resist beautiful women and he really can't stand, sometimes even gets very angry when hunters kills their hunting dogs.

*He looks to the world silently following the hunters of Bakana when he sees Pter on the gates of Death, he snaps his fingers and he sees now Pter and Thavatika* We see again Thavatika, how he died, may I ask?
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:41 am

A murderer. *He mutters, shaking his head angrily* And Thavatika is taking him from me! *He hesitates momentarily, smiling sadly at the dying man, pity in his eyes, before he kneels beside him, and grasps his hand, whispering* I'm sorry... I can't do anything for you, my friend. *He bites his lip, tears beginning to form in his eyes*
freiana

Postby freiana » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:55 am

*her voice is flat as she looks at the man* I can't help him... If you won't let me take him, he'll come to me, only later. All I can do now is stop his suffering... If you'll let me.
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:10 am

...Please. Please do. *Isopoth squeezes Pter's hand, leaning to kiss his forehead softly, before releasing him and standing, turning his head away*
FiziKx

Postby FiziKx » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:49 am

Name: Niato
Brief Description: A tall and strong looking man with long blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. He wears a glowing set of armor and a red cape bearing his insignia. In his right hand he carries a shimmering long sword that seems to let off an iridescent light and his head is topped by a silver circlet with a ruby at its center.
Personality: Of all of the gods, Niato is one who is most concerned with soldiers and tends to associate himself with those who are the bravest in battle. When spoken to, he tends to not joke very often, but rather attempts to maintain the persona of an honorable warrior at all times. If Niato makes a promise, you can be sure that he will keep it.
Portfolio: Valor
Weakness(es): If, during battle, a man who has sworn an oath of allegiance to Niato flees, then this god must physically endure the pain that said follower potentially would have faced in the fight.

No honor. No purpose... *Suddenly, Niato materializes behind the other gods in the scene* While he most likely did not deserve such a thing, he was given neither any chance to fight for himself nor the honorable choice of ending his own life. *Motioning to Thavatika and Isopoth* You both do realize that this is a reflection on yourselves, yes?
http://arcanot.myminicity.com/
http://fizikx.mybrute.com

NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:04 am

*He rolls his eyes, glaring at Niato* What the hell are you blabbering about now? *He shakes his head* Honestly, every time something happens, you gotta waltz into the scene and add your two cents!

Return to “Forum Games”