Clarification Request RE: Putting Sleepers in Building With No Windows

Please post requests for moderation here to be reviewed by the Public Relations Department. Just as General Support, this is NOT the place for chatter, nor the place to debate the requests.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

PaintedbyRoses

Clarification Request RE: Putting Sleepers in Building With No Windows

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:18 am

In a few different towns I have seen situations where some characters want to drag long term sleeping characters inside a building without a window for various reasons but, specifically, not to hurt them or kill them. The door would be unlocked so they could come outside if they woke up. It's usually because having a slew of dying, skeleton heads in the streets makes the town look like some kind of horror movie.

This usually brings on OOC talk saying that it is against the rules and that the building must have a window. This kind of defeats the purpose of trying to hide them away since visitors and newspawns can still see them.

I haven't ever seen a rule like this but I could have easily missed it. Can someone please advise whether this is actually a game rule or not?
Keg

Re: Clarification Request RE: Putting Sleepers in Building With No Windows

Postby Keg » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:26 am

I haven't heard anything like that, but I can think of a few reasons IC for wanting to drag them inside out of sight. With a window, without, open or closed, building locked or unlocked. Maybe I want to murder them, or rob them when they die, or simply protect what they drop so some newspawn can't run off with it. The window is closed or door locked random people can't pop in and grab it to run right when they die. Even if you feed them you can't prevent or predict a heart attack and that person might have sensitive keys.

If no rules are stopping us from killing whoever we want when we want I don't see a reason to force a window on a building and leave the place unlocked. I mean we could just kill them and that was the norm long ago. Sometimes you just need that axe to finish cutting wood.
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:08 pm

Oh my gosh, who was the character in the Blit? Forest (with Harvey?), near the Blackrocks, who dragged anyone who slept more then a couple of days to a building with all the bodies inside? I had nightmares.

I did hear a rule like that for Genesis only - since new players might come back after some days. Joshua expressed it in chat maybe? It was when we had the most hungry characters in one place that I had ever seen and we wanted them out of sight as it was a ghost town and would put new players off rather then entice.
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:58 pm

Two things.... one is that there should not be any kind of rules regarding windows in buildings and what you do with your sleepers in a town as long as it doesn't violate our sexual or graphic violence guidelines. If a town wants to stack there sleepers on the deck of the coaster harbor or pile them into a shack on the edge of the forest, that's up to them.

Second, I would really like to put in a plug for reducing the amount of OOC communication in the main game. I know it is different in Genesis, but the conversations about whether or not a window should be in a building is way out of whack when it comes to the non-Genesis game. If there is a rule clarification needed, pass it on to staff and let them handle it. There are also many ways to get your point across in-game that does not involved OOC talk. If you're going on vacation and will be away from internet for a couple of weeks, simply tell your roleplay partners that you feel a long sleep coming on. You don't have to ooc share with everyone that you're going on vacation. Does that make sense?
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:08 am

As far as I know, there are no rules against moving the sleepers to some building to keep them away from sight. Even locking them up there, it's not forbidden.

Rules can be seen here, and so far I don't see any rules against doing that.
I think we should wait for Josh in person to clarify this, but if it's not written, I'd say it's not forbidden.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:21 pm

As far as I am aware there's no official rule regarding this. Only more or less unofficial one on Genesis as it's intro server too where every new player gets char and whole hordes of starving people is bad PR
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:08 pm

Black Canyon captured it perfectly... If there is no specific rule against it, it open...judging by the common brutality of the game a few years ago, it seems tame to let the living corpse rot and player can assess a town based not on the # of chars; but by the # of Active chars. That is where the rp opportunities exist and it starts with you.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!

Return to “Moderation Requests”