Javascript problem

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

gudgeon

Javascript problem

Postby gudgeon » Wed May 27, 2020 7:32 am

Several buttons don't work for me and I think that it is caused by some js's not being loaded.

The buttons/functions not working are (what I have found so far):
manufacture/build
take item out of chest
the row of buttons on the right of the domestication page
the event page and player page don't update automatically when there's new message
when I click the name on the event log, it brings me to their character page, instead of popping up a subwindow

At first I thought it's because ajax.googleapis.com is partially blocked in my country. I redirected ajax.googleapis.com to a domestic cdn, and it worked perfectly for a few days. Then it stopped working, and the above problems reappeared. I have redirected to several domestic/abroad cdn and it doesn't solve the problem.

I'm not a web developer so I don't know if this is feasible: Can I download a full set of javascripts used by the site to my computer, and let the browser retrieve js from the computer? I don't want to resort to vpn as that will make it very laggy.

Or maybe it is a problem caused by browser settings? Although I think this is unlikely, as I have enabled js on all possible ways.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Re: Javascript problem

Postby Greek » Wed May 27, 2020 8:30 pm

Hello. I don't think it's possible to download the files in advance to use then and, based on the problem description, I think it may not help with the problem. If it's possible to download any other static files, then javascript should be able to be downloaded as well. I suspect the problem might be with the execution.
What browser are you using? Is it the most recent version? Have you tested another one or a different device?
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Thu May 28, 2020 2:04 am

Hi, Greek!

I have tested it on,

Ubuntu 18.04:
Chrome Version 79.0.3945.79 (64-bit)
Firefox 76.0.1(64-bit)
Win7 32 bit in Virtualbox:
Firefox 76.0.1(32-bit)
And a variant of firefox on phone.

The button problems are persistent.

They only worked normally for a few days after I redirected ajax.googleapis.com to a domestic cdn, but after these few days the problems reappeared. Now I redirect to unpkg.com (auto-replacing "ajax.googleapis.com" in URLs with "unpkg.com"). This way it doesn't solve the button problems but it does make the loading much faster.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:42 pm

gudgeon has found a custom solution in the mean time, so it was no longer urgent. It was a problem with access to libraries which were downloaded from google CDN. To solve similar problems in the future, from now on I've made these libraries to be hosted on Cantr server.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:19 am

Thanks, Greek, for making Cantr accessible to different parts of the world. :)

Return to “General Support”