Character childhoods?

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

AndyPandy

Character childhoods?

Postby AndyPandy » Sun May 03, 2020 7:00 am

I'm new to Cantr, and I have ideas for my character's pasts (childhood) but I can't find information anywhere about whether or not it's acceptable in game to refer to things that will have happened pre-spawn or parents etc, since they spawn at 20 years old. Many thanks for any help.
the_antisocial_hermit

Re: Character childhoods?

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Sun May 03, 2020 8:45 am

It’s not. They are a blank slate and have no tangible history prior to their arrival. There’s no such thing as children or childhoods and familial connections are developed in game via a different construct than biology. It’s best to see where the connections you make take your character into the future. :)

That’s not to say your characters can’t have interesting dreams before the spawning or special experiences in the process of spawning, just that backstories don’t really work within the context of the game and most will chalk it up to something the character imagined rather than as a lived experience.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Re: Character childhoods?

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sun May 03, 2020 4:05 pm

Good explanation. With Cantr it's particularly important that reality is defined by the game, or during the course of playing the game. If someone wants to accomplish something, they have to do the work based on the game mechanics interactions with others.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.

Return to “General Support”