Unbreakable Locks

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

PaintedbyRoses

Unbreakable Locks

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:51 pm

I have had at least 20 lock breaking attempts in a row end unsuccessfully. What the hey? Did I miss a memo saying that it has become almost impossible to break a lock now?

Is it just me? If not, let's start a support group so we can cry together.
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Re: Unbreakable Locks

Postby Bmot » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:10 pm

Lock breaking is based on random chance, so it's definitely possible to take this long. Not usual, but possible :lol:
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:34 am

This has reminded me of something I've been meaning to post about - it doesn't seem to be possible to break the lock on a wooden coffin?
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:54 pm

This continues. I have about five characters trying to break locks. Each has tried at least 5 times on the same lock, unsuccessfully. This can't be right. It's a matter of stubbornness now.

I would estimate that of all my characters who have tried to break locks in the past two months or so, there have been about 30-35 tries and about 3 successes. Mostly with the same few characters trying the same lock over and over again. This is no where near 50% and I don't believe it's just bad luck.

It wasn't like this in the past. If the success rate has been changed to make it harder to break locks, I'd just like to know.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:55 pm

I believe it's just bad luck.
I've checked what is the global success rate for lockpicking (last week) and it's statistically a bit higher than the success chance set in a random number generator. Also there were no changes for Cantr code in months, so I see no reason how anything could be out of order.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:40 am

Thanks for checking that and letting me know. Doesn't programming sometimes go wacky on it's own?

One more unsuccessful since my last post (five straight unsuccessful on the same lock) but, also, one success! The first one in a long time. I think the last one was right after I posted this the first time so that was a week ago with five characters all trying time after time.

I'm never that unlucky.
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:43 pm

PaintedbyRoses wrote:This is no where near 50% and I don't believe it's just bad luck.

It wasn't like this in the past. If the success rate has been changed to make it harder to break locks, I'd just like to know.

I think that chance that you break lock is not 50%, but 1/8, so 12,5%. Not sure about this.
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:34 pm

KVZ wrote:
PaintedbyRoses wrote:This is no where near 50% and I don't believe it's just bad luck.

I think that chance that you break lock is not 50%, but 1/8, so 12,5%. Not sure about this.

It's something inbetween.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Well, when you say "chance" that implies a 50% chance, like a coin flip. If it's so much lower that's kind of annoying not to know.

Wait, the "success rate" is set at a certain percentage?

Why would KVZ think it was 1 out of 12? If that's true then it explains my experience.
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:08 pm

I am not sure for exact percentage, but I am almost sure that it was much lower than 50%. There no such information in wiki as I checked, but maybe you can find this information on forum.

And I said 1 out of 8...
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880

Return to “General Support”