Forum Problems

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Doug R.

Re: Forum Problems

Postby Doug R. » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:57 pm

I only posted part of his message, but unfortunately, he might be too pissed off to clarify the problem. I'll keep in email contact with him and try to get this resolved.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:18 pm

I would imagine it being scary if you've been a member of a community for years and suddenly you cease being able to communicate with others. The thought about being isolated like that with no fault of your own would make anyone mad.
Not-so-sad panda
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:17 pm

When in some sections, it says towards the top (like, below Board Index >> Support Forums >> etc.) "Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department, Resources Department". Those things are links to other users, not moderators. :)

I like the new site though, good work!
Armulus Satchula

Postby Armulus Satchula » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Kaizerwolf wrote:When in some sections, it says towards the top (like, below Board Index >> Support Forums >> etc.) "Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department, Resources Department". Those things are links to other users, not moderators. :)

Can you give me an example instance of it doing this?
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:32 pm

I have send my problem to Armulus in PM and still no answer. I got anyoing message on top:

Private messages
0 new messages, 1 unread message

...everytime. And nothing helps even moving all messages to savebox. Details about this problem are in PM.

Also one thing. Links on top:

User Control Panel • 0 new messages • FAQ • Search • Members • Logout [ KEVEZ ]

..are almost invisible on my side (I using Opera). I tried to Ctrl+F5 and it does not help. I must highlight them by selecting text via text selection to see text on those buttons.
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Once you clear the space in your inbox, you actually have to click a link to retrieve the pending message from being held. Did you do that?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:53 pm

Kaizerwolf wrote:When in some sections, it says towards the top (like, below Board Index >> Support Forums >> etc.) "Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department, Resources Department". Those things are links to other users, not moderators. :)

They're the links to the usergroup list.
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:07 pm

Doug R. wrote:Once you clear the space in your inbox, you actually have to click a link to retrieve the pending message from being held. Did you do that?

It does not help. I clicked this link many times to get in to inbox. While it is clean and there is space as all messages are in outbox and total number of messages does not exced the limits. I even deleted one message now to make sure.

It looks as I have 3 "ghost" messages:

Page 1 of 1 [ 3/250 Messages (1%) ]

Inbox Subject Author Sent Mark
No messages

And one of them must be marked in DB as unread. And I have no idea how to delete or get back them to read/delete them. I once deleted message without read what was from spam PM sender. It was few days before conversion. But it should not be an issue?
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:50 am

Tiddy Ogg wrote:accessibility

I was reading a guide once about making websites accessible, and there's a bunch of standards for accessibility. We'll have to work with Tiddy to figure out what's needed to allow him to use the forum. There doesn't seem to be any alt values for the buttons of this post I'm making (Preview, Submit, Save, Cancel), but there is for the buttons on the thread, like post a reply, send a pm, etc.

Edit: I tried to use the forum with a screen reader, but it didn't say the thread titles nor the post reply button.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:04 am

Joshuamonkey wrote:Edit: I tried to use the forum with a screen reader, but it didn't say the thread titles nor the post reply button.

Why?
Armulus Satchula

Postby Armulus Satchula » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:57 am

I just found a bug dealing with languages. I don't have time to fix it till at least sunday. If you change your language, you are going to lose buttons to post/reply/ etc. As this forum is multilingual, i may have to change the forums to one of the default themes. I really don't want to have to do this, but making like 10+ sets of buttons isn't something i really have the time to do. For the time being you may have to just change your language back to BRITISH english.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:00 am

[quote="SekoETC"]I would imagine it being scary if you've been a member of a community for years and suddenly you cease being able to communicate with others. The thought about being isolated like that with no fault of your own would make anyone mad.[/quote]

OK getting the hang of it. I remember the old forum was a pain to start with.
The main problem was that the label for the main message edit box appears to be "font colour". Now I realise it's telling lies, I can at least reply.
I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it will certainly involve different navigational techniques - it was certainly handier having all the items in one table rather than the four or more on the main index page, and on the individual forum page. For example, each reply to this topic is in its own table for some reason. (this may be an advantage, but we'll have to see how it goes.) It'll take a while - I navigate on initial letters of link titles... P a few times got me to Post New Topic, R to Reply.
These have now changed, but I'll learn them.
I've not tried getting into the moderator control panel or anything fancy, so I'll shout again if it's too difficult. (the old version had its quirks.)

And for any programmers reading this: take a look at the Web Accessibility Initiative guide lines, (Google it,) and if you really want to be proficient, try throwing your mouse away and navigating everywhere on keys.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:32 pm

Armulus Satchula wrote:I just found a bug dealing with languages. I don't have time to fix it till at least sunday. If you change your language, you are going to lose buttons to post/reply/ etc. As this forum is multilingual, i may have to change the forums to one of the default themes. I really don't want to have to do this, but making like 10+ sets of buttons isn't something i really have the time to do. For the time being you may have to just change your language back to BRITISH english.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that I changed the forum default language to American English yesterday?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:33 pm

Tiddy, I'm glad to see that you're figuring it out. I see what you mean about the posts being their own tables, but from what I've seen, that's pretty standard for forums nowadays. I can't tell you why that's better than the previous method, although I can tell you that merging posts wasn't possible on the old forum and now it is, so maybe it has something to do with enhanced moderation capability.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:42 pm

I switched the default language back to BE and post buttons are now shown for all languages again (in English though). I assume AE has an incomplete set of buttons (just like the other languages) which caused the problem.

I wouldn't mind trying to create buttons for (some of) the other languages by the way.
Pretty in pink.

Return to “General Support”