attempting to drag resources failing

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

viktor

attempting to drag resources failing

Postby viktor » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:16 am

5154-4.19: You tried to drag an unknown person, but this person is no longer within reach.

I was trying to drag a small pile of resources to a vehicle

the resources were in fact right there on the ground
the vehicle was in fact right there where I can see it and I have the key
I was not doing anything else

something is very very wrong, thought I had better report this immediately.
Millhouse

Re: attempting to drag resources failing

Postby Millhouse » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:08 am

I came here to report the same issue. Happened with two characters. Was able to drag resources from inside to out but not from outside to in.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:46 am

I am having the same problem.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
AshBee
Game Mechanics Member

Postby AshBee » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:50 am

There is something going on with it not recognizing objects when they're right there. I'm getting an error slaughtering an animal that it is not there when it clearly is. It was there when I started the project and it hasn't been moved.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:59 am

Naming using CHARDESC defaults to undefined object, too.
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:09 am

I've just had that dragging error when tidying up the outside. ...But it only happened on small bones. I could move feathers fine :?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:11 am

AdLab wrote:There is something going on with it not recognizing objects when they're right there. I'm getting an error slaughtering an animal that it is not there when it clearly is. It was there when I started the project and it hasn't been moved.

Also cannot slaughter an animal because it doesn't recognize it as present.
Not-so-sad panda
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:09 am

I'm having the issue with raw resources (feathers and dung) but not constructed objects.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:13 am

I think I've fixed it now.

There were two separate problems. The first one is swapped messages for unsuccessful dragging of objects and characters (they are separate entities in the game so have to be treated separately). The bug was there for years, but this error message was not seen by anybody, because it's kind of error that shouldn't happen except the situations something is really wrong.

I wasn't able to reproduce the problem on the test environment and I was curious what could it be, because there were no changes in dragging for a long time.
It was caused by overflow of a value in dragging table. Id of newest objects in the game has just passed the value of 16777215 and everything worked well, but the column in dragging table was set to MEDIUMINT (unsigned) so all values higher that allowed (2^24 - 1) were capped to 16777215. It means all the characters in the world were trying to drag the same object, which was too far away to continue dragging.
There was a similar problem with a special column in projects which can store different things in different circumstances (including object id). It means some of the projects started between yesterday and the moment I've fixed it are broken. Please cancel and start them again.
If these projects are very valuable for some reason then PM me or send a messages to ProgD using support form.

EDIT: The problem affected raws and not constructed objects, because raws are recreated as a new object every time they change their location.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:16 pm

Thanks for the quick fix. :D
viktor

Postby viktor » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:07 am

awesome fix, thanks!

Return to “General Support”