Suggestions for New Instruments

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed May 30, 2007 5:14 pm

Ooh, ooh, ivory keys! A piano consists mostly of wood, then it has brass for the pedals and a lot of metal wires inside. And wool cloth (felt) under the keys. It would be a real pain in the neck to make.
Not-so-sad panda
wejdas

Postby wejdas » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:04 am

What I really miss is not the diversity of instruments, but the diversity of emotions you can express with them. I suggest an additional menu would be implemented for choosing type of the melody you would like to play on that instrument, when you press the Use button. Take basic emotions you can express through music to choose from, e.g.:

Alerting
Amusing
Angry
Boring
Encouraging
Frightful
Hateful
Intriguing
Jolly
Martial
Mild
Nostalgic
Painful
Sad
Sensual
Solemn
Suspenseful
Tranquil

Of course, not all instruments can express the emotions. A rattle, for example, could only play intriguing, martial and suspensful melody.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:00 pm

I usually dislike proposals to mechanise things that could be better rp'd, but I have to say, given the limited context here, that this is a very nice list, and it would be nice to see a dropdown menu for the instruments to generate the event.
Dust

Postby Dust » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:22 pm

i will refresh the idea of whistle

Let's make a whistle from wood, tin or iron

It will be good to whistle on your crew on a deck or whistle in city ;)
I'm sorry for my english
I have learned it from TV :P
trexdino

Postby trexdino » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:50 am

brass instruments, there are string, wood wind, and percussion but no brass.
I will not stand for this injustice.
When you hope for something, you often believe in something. When you believe in something, you often have pride in it. Being proud often leads to a hating of some group.
As you can see, the Jedi are hypocrites.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:59 am

We could make brass from copper and zinc. Horns, trombones, trumpets, French horns, tubas, and euphonium's.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:18 am

There are already brass items in Cantr, you just take some grams of zinc and some of copper and Cantrians seem to have the ability to shape metals without heating them.
Not-so-sad panda
Joshuamonkey

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:48 am

Oh, in that case, might as well have some brass instruments!

What are piano keys made out of in real life? I haven't considered it much before, but having a piano in Cantr would be awesome!
Joshuamonkey's Blog
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:42 am

Joshuamonkey wrote:What are piano keys made out of in real life? I haven't considered it much before, but having a piano in Cantr would be awesome!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano#Materials
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face."
trexdino

Postby trexdino » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:54 am

Yes, you could add brass instruments, like I said such a long time ago. Maybe instead of actually adding brass, same way you make brass buckle, copper and zinc, like Joshuamonkey said. Or you could make them from steel.
When you hope for something, you often believe in something. When you believe in something, you often have pride in it. Being proud often leads to a hating of some group.

As you can see, the Jedi are hypocrites.
Voltenion

Postby Voltenion » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:58 am

hmm...If you are going to make anything like that, use copper and zinc, not steel... We don't need more uses for steel, and copper and zinc are so ignored that it would be cool to have more things to do with them...
"Delete Fu Island" activist.
Joshuamonkey

Postby Joshuamonkey » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:19 am

Copper is important for wires, coins, and some other things.
Zinc is important for the cutoff valve and brass case.
Brass case is made from zinc and copper, so they're already being made into brass =p
We just need to step up the technology a bit.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
NaruShadow

Postby NaruShadow » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:03 am

I like the idea of things like a piano or even better, a harpsichord. However I think these larger instruments should be made as playable furniture. I can't very well imagine a man or woman riding a bicycle down the street playing a grand piano on a nice sunny day. :P
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:45 am

Oh, I saw this movie about a piano on wheels going in all the craziest places and it was filmed so that it seemed the viewer was attached to the piano and just bouncing behind it, moving seats in the theater too, it was quite an experience (although not as wicked as the Jurassic Park kinda thing they had when that place was first opened).
Not-so-sad panda
NaruShadow

Postby NaruShadow » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:23 pm

lol ok so I suppose it's not an entirely implausible idea then. I think another cool idea would be a bit more than a musical instrument. Make a pipe organ that can only be constructed inside buildings. It would be like an extension in that you have to enter it to play it. I've seen enough churches on the islands and I'm sure people would love to go inside them and see a large, sprawling organ.

Return to “Suggestions”