Herb Garden

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

warfreak

Herb Garden

Postby warfreak » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:18 am

I think when things like the herbs (thyme, basil) get implemented, it should be grown in a herb garden. I would require some wood as the frame, some mud as the soil and water to grow the herb. Also, you get to choose what herb you will grow. It makes it more realistic because you cannot gather herbs. It should be listed under machinery
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:46 am

Aww, that sounds cute. Anyway, ever thought of where herbs came from in the first place? They must've been growing wild in the forests and fields before anyone started growing them in boxes.

Anyway this machine you're proposing, maybe you would be required to put a small amount of a seed resource there and it would multiply it. And maybe water too. Lots of water. Then people wouldn't be whining that you get resources out of nothing - after all, you could repeat this project over and over again and eventually you'd have a huge load of herbs.
Not-so-sad panda
Sho

Postby Sho » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:25 pm

Perhaps something like this could be done for foods, to partly answer all the loud noises being made in the discussion of gathering limits.

For example, this machine proposal:

Gardening patch
Can only be built outside.
Resources to build: 1000 grams stone, 500 grams wood, 10000 grams soil
Tools to build: Trowel, shovel
Time to build: 10 days
Project (nonscalable): Gardening for carrots
Maximum workers: 2
Skill used: Farming (?)
Resources used: 10 grams carrots, 100 grams water
Project output: 1000 grams carrots
Project length: 2 days

Notes:
There would be similar gardening projects for other crops.
Most of these numbers are pulled out of a mixture of thin air, caffeine and essence of stupid.
In particular the materials are completely made up. I was thinking a gardening patch would need some sort of border/fence made with stones and wood. One doesn't get much practical gardening experience in midtown New York.
I'm not sure about soil - it would mean creating another single-purpose resource. (Of course, things like barley, timber and zinc make me think that's not a big issue.) It would either be manufacturable (with another machine) from mud, sand and clay (again, I don't know anything about gardening), or be a common resource, presumably found in plains and hills.

Pros:
This would be, I think, an easily programmed alternative to someone-or-other's well-received suggestion that towns could create more resource slots.

Cons:
I think I heard water had been removed from Cantr? If so, it'd need to be brought back.

Can be argued as either pro or con:
Unless I'm mistaken, it would be possible to build this on a ship. It could be argued that this would be unrealistic or bad for balance; it could also be argued that there is a need for a way for ships to make their own food.
Surly

Postby Surly » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:56 pm

Sho wrote:it could also be argued that there is a need for a way for ships to make their own food.
Fishing!

But that is another suggestion...
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
warfreak

Postby warfreak » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:26 am

actually, water has not been removed. Also, you can gather water from areas with lakes but not seas (salt water kills plants) also, animals that travel should drop seeds because who knows what they eat (eating newspawns, yay!) 8)
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:04 am

warfreak wrote:actually, water has not been removed. Also, you can gather water from areas with lakes but not seas (salt water kills plants) also, animals that travel should drop seeds because who knows what they eat (eating newspawns, yay!) 8)

But this is Cantr...Anything is possible. Who says the sea has salt or that salt water will kill plants? Cantrians don't drink water to survive...in the world of Cantr...if it is logical...it's not always correct.

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
warfreak

Postby warfreak » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:51 am

yeah, they don't drink water. Are they like anti water people? Salt water does kill, well, salt at least. Its called salinity
Nick

Postby Nick » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:54 am

Who says the sea is even made of water? While you're floating on a raft; even with a bucket there is no water to be picked up. ;-)
warfreak

Postby warfreak » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:14 am

cool, that means that cantrians would be rowing on bluish slime thing. Wow, this brings the game from role play to fantasy. Maybe we should get slime buckets to get slime
theguy

Postby theguy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:55 pm

i dont think gaden paths are a good idea the first things newspawns get (at least slightly sain ones do) is collect food and how on cantr will any newspawn get that kind of matetiles even tacking away a few noghts would not help wood and stone is hardley ever found in the same place tell me if i am wrong that would be a major disadvantege to new spawns
Blog: http://undercontrol93.blogspot.com/

returner wrote: so I could probably make a Cantr III in my spare time :P

Well where is it?
warfreak

Postby warfreak » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:13 am

but the herbs aren't an edible food. according to the wiki, they are in use for potions and such
Pie

Postby Pie » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:39 pm

Well... I would think the only thing that is actually making us work in this game is finding the 800 carrots a day. i Mean.. it doesn't take an hour to pick up 10g of diomands, it takes a day to find them though,

So what i am saying.. is that the "Herb" garden could be planted with whatever, but finding carrots would be a Heck of alot easyer. so.. like.. 1600g a day to find carrots in a day when your inside one of thees "Herb" gardens.
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
warfreak

Postby warfreak » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:13 am

lets stick with the herb garden before we start making carrot gardens
theguy

Postby theguy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:12 pm

but pie has a point gardens could be used for all foods cantrs are now hunter gathers (they hunt and gather) the herb/ carrot gardens are like farms growing food exaacly where you want it if implemented some cantrs would be more civelised and be farmers

BUT

this would be the exact step humans took at that stage in tecnology making cantr more realistic how good realisem is can only be an opinon
Blog: http://undercontrol93.blogspot.com/

returner wrote: so I could probably make a Cantr III in my spare time :P

Well where is it?
warfreak

Postby warfreak » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:48 am

i don't know about the carrot garden though, still awaiting for the resource dept to say something on this topic though :lol:

Return to “Suggestions”