Suggestions for Weapons and Protection

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

IvanicDiazinum

Re: Suggestions for Weapons and Protection

Postby IvanicDiazinum » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:38 am

Xavier Darkmyre wrote:Surely we could at least get a Flintlock or something? They wouldn't one-hit-kill. And besides, I wouldnt have thought that level of realism was cared about - a sufficiently trained swordsman in the right situation could easily one-hit-kill with a sword :P

Or at the very least, if realism was the issue, it wouldn't make any sense that you can only attack once per day.

Seriously, I don't see the harm in having guns, just so long as no one-hit kills. If an axe can't chop someone's head off in one attack, I don't see why there couldn't be weak guns.

OOH, what about cannons? For destroying buildings and vehicles. :twisted:
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:39 am

Sorry, no guns. It's not a debatable consideration.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
IvanicDiazinum

Postby IvanicDiazinum » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:21 am

Doug R. wrote:Sorry, no guns. It's not a debatable consideration.

I could make peace with that, but it would help if there was a reason. Is it the style? Because it seems odd that cars with engines are acceptable but not guns, so I don't imagine it would go against the style.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:34 am

A decade of clear anti-gun precedent from every GAB that ever sat.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
IvanicDiazinum

Postby IvanicDiazinum » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:44 am

Doug R. wrote:A decade of clear anti-gun precedent from every GAB that ever sat.

:roll:

Some of the older threads seemed to suggest it was going to happen, just not soon. Well, that was years ago. What happened?

Anyway, if guns aren't going to ever be a reality, what about ammunition? For sure, bows need arrows? We need every incentive against excessive violence that we can get. Making every hit cost something would definitely go a long way to help. As it is right now, anyone who steals a crossbow can go and wreak havoc. Adding requirement for ammo would keep violence for use mostly in self-defense and well-organized revolution. AKA legitimate use.

Also, it would allow for even more complexity. Cheap arrows of wood and maybe bone tips, versus steel? Just a thought.

Apologies if this has been suggested already recently but seriously, I am not about to scroll through years worth of gun and ammunition debating.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:53 pm

I wouldn't say I'm opposed to guns per se, but with the options we currently have, it wouldn't make much sense, unless we're content with a gun being a near crossbow clone. We can't go up with the damage much further and there's very little else we can use to distinguish firearms from other weapons.
Pretty in pink.
Xavier Darkmyre

Postby Xavier Darkmyre » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:35 am

Piscator wrote:I wouldn't say I'm opposed to guns per se, but with the options we currently have, it wouldn't make much sense, unless we're content with a gun being a near crossbow clone. We can't go up with the damage much further and there's very little else we can use to distinguish firearms from other weapons.

If it means we can actually RP a character that uses a gun, then sure, clone a crossbow. We've got a bazillion different bladed/clubbing weapons for people to RP with, what about those of us who like ranged weapons? :P I got told off on my first day because I RP'ed drinking coffee but my character didn't have any... so if we're only meant to RP with items that exist in-game, then more items need to exist in-game for us to RP with :P
Xavier Darkmyre [and others]
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidty

muidoido

Postby muidoido » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:40 am

And a flintlock rifle is not much better than a good crossbow anyway!
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:48 am

Just give it an insanely high rot rate and make it complicated as all get out to construct.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:38 am

I thought that was already the case with crossbows?
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:34 am

flyswatter

I want (for all kind of bugs, no matter 2-4-6 legs type) = with hitting power that is :P
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:57 pm

Yagyuzue

http://www.seishinkan.info/index.php?page=bojutsu_history

The Yagyuzue, or staff of the Yagyu family, is basically an iron rod camouflaged to look like a walking stick. It was been invented by Yagyu Jubei, a member of the prestigious family of sword instructors to the shogun who is rumoured to have been a ninja in the service of the Tokugawa government. This weapon is said to have been carried by him as an unobtrusive weapon when on secret missions.

This is Yagyu Jubei: :mrgreen:
g1asswa1ker

Postby g1asswa1ker » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:28 am

Harpoons as a weapon, and I would suggest they fit best in cat 4.

Corrected
Somehow you strayed and lost your way,
and now there'll be no time to play,
no time for joy,
no time for friends
- not even time to make amends.
You are too naïve if you do believe life is innocent laughter and fun.
kryminator

Postby kryminator » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Shuriken
It was probably suggested before. If it was I am just reminding. What is shuriken? In short, it is steel throwing star (not a wooden one which is currently existing in Cantr). In Cantr world it probably should not be visible in inventory, it should be rather dependent on fighting skill (60-80%) and its damage should be about +10 in comparision to wooden throwing star (like billy club and iron shod billy club).
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

gunpowder

Postby Snickie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:31 pm

I couldn't find the resources suggestion thread at the top of the page, and I don't have the patience today to search the entire forum, so I'm posting here.

To please BZR:

gunpowder

I don't care what you make it out of.

Uses: to sit there and look pretty. Or dusty. or gunpowder-y.

Return to “Suggestions”