Gagged and Bound

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

The Industriallist

Gagged and Bound

Postby The Industriallist » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:16 pm

Gag: Takes, say, 3 or 4 people to apply (like with dragging). Requires a 2 person-hour (arbitrary number) project to remove. While on the gag would (preferably) be visible in your character description and any time you try to say anything, everyone would hear you say "Mrf" instead. (problem with gesture-by-**)

Arm bonds: Probably 4 or 5 people to apply, removal time (and maybe even tools required to remove, especially if there were locked handcuffs that had to be broken if you didn't have the key as an option) dependant on type of bonds (rope type, leather bands, metal cuffs). While bound this way, the bonds would appear on the description and the person would be unable to attack, point, or work on projects. Maybe also unable to give items to people or add them to projects.

Leg bonds: 4-5 people to apply, removal time as for arm bonds. Bonds in description, and character cannot go onto roads or enter and exit buildings. If it were possible to apply them on a road, the character would be unable to move at more than 0%, but that's probably a bad idea.

I've been thinking a little bit... :lol:
Of course, quite probably either this is seriously unimplementable or there's already a mechanism in the works for tieing people up.
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
Revanael

Postby Revanael » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:11 pm

Given the right players, a gag could be done better by pure RP.
Antichrist_Online

Postby Antichrist_Online » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:19 pm

Given the right players, a gag could be done better by pure RP

However, the people we want to gag most are the worst roleplayers, which are mainly for the purpose of slavery. :twisted:
Mistress's Puppy
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:21 pm

A prison ball type thing would be cool too. Then people could expirement with slavery, or forced labour to prisoners. They could do pretty much anything (talk, give/receive/work/attack, but they wouldn't be able to travel and leave/enter buildings.
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:22 pm

.... damn, I didn't read your whole post, and I see you said the same thing I did in the last paragraph... my bad haha
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:00 pm

Revanael wrote:Given the right players, a gag could be done better by pure RP.

I wouldn't be likely to RP along with a gagging...If someone tried to apply a gag, since there's no way for them to prove it worked or stop me from taking it off, I would probably fend them off in some manner. RP is never a substitute for a game mechanic.

It would be an immensely cludge, but (given the implementation of the rest of it) I think it wouldn't be hard to just turn anything not ** delimited into "Mrf", and preserve the gestures.

-A subway preacher
Robert

Postby Robert » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:24 pm

But if one is bound and gagged, then the would be able to gesture either
"I'll carry your books, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, carry over, carry forward, Cary Grant, cash & carry, Carry Me Back To Old Virginia, I'll even Hara Kari if you show me how, but I will not carry a gun." -Hawkeye, M*A*S*H
Antichrist_Online

Postby Antichrist_Online » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:32 pm

Gags are easy to remove if you aren't bound up, so make it so they can only be used on bound people. Hence removing the gesture problem.
Mistress's Puppy
Missy

Postby Missy » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:46 pm

A ball and chain. That idea is something i had never given thought to, but would be great if there was one and people forced prisoners to put them on so that they could re-enter society and the result would be incredibly reduced rate in which the person wearing the ball could travel. :lol: :lol: :lol: *Claps* I want that!!!
Anthony Roberts

Postby Anthony Roberts » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:44 pm

I like the idea, really. Sure, you can RP such a thing, but some characters WON'T go along with it and will spoil the atmosphere by role playing, or making an OOC comment, that they don't consent. Sure, any good role player would know "Consent is for wussies" (Ie: Role play EVERY situation thrown out), but not everyone on Cantr is an RP superstar. Anyway, detaining type objects would be benifitial in my eye. If you -want- to RP it out, nothing is stopping you, but the objects will give that added authenticity.
-- Anthony Roberts
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:17 pm

Now you're turning me on... But I think this thing has been suggested a couple of times already. And it has it's own troubles. A gag = no rp = sucks.
Not-so-sad panda
NetherSpawn

Postby NetherSpawn » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:37 am

Anthony Roberts wrote:Sure, you can RP such a thing, but some characters WON'T go along with it and will spoil the atmosphere by role playing, or making an OOC comment, that they don't consent. Sure, any good role player would know "Consent is for wussies" (Ie: Role play EVERY situation thrown out), but not everyone on Cantr is an RP superstar.

I for one am not going to bet detained by players because they ignore the game mechanics.
A man in his fourties: "*Puts Bob's head on chopping block and decapitates him with axe.*"
Right. Gagging is no different in concept.
I do agree that gags are a good idea, though. Anything that promotes slavery is good (as long as it makes sense). It's kind of pathetic how Cantr has virtually no slavery, primarily because people have this automatic OOC hatred of it.
What would you make gags out of? Leather is probably what it would end up being, but you can shove almost anything in someone's mouth.
"We will change our world forever. You will handle the arrangements."
Agar

Postby Agar » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:26 am

Hey, if we're going to start promoting things that people hate OOC, how about canibalism?

999-9 Project cooking a man in his twenties completed, ending up on the ground.

Uh ... Right. :roll:

Before we start trying to say who or what is a RP superstar, consider knocking.

Right now, we often throw people we're sick of in a building and lock them in. They don't want to me there, so they knock on the door. ALOT. The solution to this is build a room inside the building and lock them in there, then "forget" to leave anyone in there to listen to them and let them starve to death. Rinse. Repeat.

Now when we gag people, they now only get to say "mrf". Example of the results:

You see Call MacGregor BigWiz merely Lord of all Creation say "Mrf"

and so on.

Not much better than knocking. Nice idea, but unless you have some realistic idea on how to let people only speak once a day or so ... forget it.

[quote=SekoETC]Now you're turning me on...[/quote]

That idea, I likeys. :twisted:
Reality was never my strong point.
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:20 am

You don't gag them to stop them from being annoying...pure nuisances you can just kill for all I care. But if you want to stop someone from talking to anyone, without killing them or stashing them, and there are reasons for this (how about a sham trial? The defendant gagged and bound...), you need a gag.

Haven't I seen a lot of suggesting getting goods like mat off people? The only problem with canibalism is that it incentivises killing newspawns.

-A subway preacher
Spectrus_Wolfus

Postby Spectrus_Wolfus » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:43 am

if your a new spawn in a canabalistic area ya can always just tell them your a clown. i mean what kind of canabil will eat something that tastes funny :lol:
i'm all for chains and restraints it'll bring more of the real into the game.plus give a way for smaller area's and communities to restrain criminal's even if they have to dog pile them to get these item's on them.

another interesting thing that could come of this is a group could hold a man on the ground and put a wedding dress on him or hold a woman down and steal all her jewelry

Return to “Suggestions”