Multiple Character Whispers

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Leo Luncid

Postby Leo Luncid » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:25 pm

Just make it like you're having a three-way conversation. Whatever you whisper to one person, you whisper the same for the other person. May take longer, and could lead to some confusion, but here you have it. A multiple character conversation.

Edited two times. One to add a message and another to delete that same message.
Last edited by Leo Luncid on Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Notice how weak and petty we are / In the grand fixture we come afar / Hey we can't help it / No denying the prerequisite for love / Your very existence / You're the source of my substenance / Slow down take your time and feel the / Flow
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:27 pm

Yes, done that for years. However, it would be so much easier to be able to whisper to two people at the same time......thus this suggestion.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:22 am

Leo Luncid wrote:Just make it like you're having a three-way conversation. Whatever you whisper to one person, you whisper the same for the other person. May take longer, and could lead to some confusion, but here you have it. A multiple character conversation.

Edited two times. One to add a message and another to delete that same message.

The better way is to ask all the participants to come into a building, using whispers if you wish, and then have the conversation in there.
masterekat

Re:

Postby masterekat » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:46 am

I still want this badly. I realize it's probably a pretty difficult concept to program, but I'd like to revive the suggestion anyway just to keep it fresh in people's minds. It's not always convenient or even possible to have to drag a group of people off of their projects away for a few days to a building your group may or may not even have permission to enter. And only being able to whisper one person at a time almost forces exclusion for certain members of a group even if its not intentional. I know Cantr isn't always about realism, but I feel like it's perfectly realistic to expect to see in game a huddle of three, four, or five people talking quietly enough so that only they can hear what each other member is saying. And with overhearing implemented, it would be advantageous for all characters to make it easier for groups of characters to speak outside in the open (except for the types of characters that aren't nosy of course).

Leo Luncid wrote:Just make it like you're having a three-way conversation. Whatever you whisper to one person, you whisper the same for the other person. May take longer, and could lead to some confusion, but here you have it. A multiple character conversation.

I'm sorry, but I'm trying to see how this could possibly work. The more I think about it, though, the more likely it seems that it would turn out to be a nightmare. It's sometimes hard enough to keep sense out of the text wall that emerges between two characters talking to one another. I can't possibly imagine what a conversation like this would look like between four or five characters. Wait...maybe I can...

A B
C
D E

So first off we have to imagine that these people are trying to talk to each other, yet are so far away from each other that two people can get close enough to each other that those two can hear each other without the others hearing. Person A would run over to person B and whisper something, then person B would answer person A and also run to person C and tell C what A said, what their response was, would wait for C to give their response, then would run back to A and tell A what C said. Hopefully B had nothing to add to what B said, but if so.... well, you can see how this complicated this is getting and two people have yet to hear the original message. Let's hope one of those characters don't think of something to add to what they said right after they said their original thought.

The other suggestion was to pass a note around. Well, I don't think this is as good a solution as being able to whisper to a group either because, first off, you can't emote in a note. Emoting is what makes characters come alive. So taking that away in a situation that is delicate or juicy enough to require whispering to more than one person is, in my opinion, flattening a character/characters during a time that could instead be a very intense and vivid scene. Besides this sounds like something that would've happened when there was still a minute limit. We don't play like that anymore, though. More options is a good thing.

I realize it would be a while before we'd actually see this implemented, if ever, but I just wanted to bring it up again and see what everyone else thought about it.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Re: Multiple Character Whispers

Postby Snickie » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:04 am

Somebody made a proposal similar to it here. Is there any way it could be implemented like this?

Return to “Suggestions”