Coin Advantage, the Bank of Cantr.

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Cogliostro

Coin Advantage, the Bank of Cantr.

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:09 am

There's a unique way to give coins that extra boost they need to become a serious part of the gameworld. Currently coins suffer because they offer no advantage over barter, and a whole lot of extra headache to create and maintain.

What if we were to give them one special ability, just one, but it was one that made it all worth it? I submit that all coins regardless of material or origin should be Depositable, in any town where a special Cantr Bank building has been built by the residents. We'll make the building super-expensive, its job is worth it though: you can deposit/withdraw coins, and
a) there is no way anyone can ever steal them from you.
b) you can withdraw them again at any other place where they built this building.

The bank building accepts and gives out only coins, no other items or resources.

This creates the possibility for rich characters to set their slaves to work and convert their iron to depositable coinage that is tied strictly to the character who submitted them, and cannot be stolen.

The alternative system is to have a bankbox key, which adds needless complexity (do you hand out two different keys for two deposits or what?). Plus imagine the resource sink created, characters who die without giving their coins to anyone else effectively delete all those coins from the game with their death.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Re: Coin Advantage, the Bank of Cantr.

Postby Greek » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:24 am

I don't want Cantr be clone of Tibia. no. No. NO.

As addition, deleting coins upon character's death isn't a resource sink (except resources used to create coin ;) ). Please, take a rest before posting another suggestion.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:25 am

Please explain more. What's Tibia and why do you hate it?
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:31 am

Greek, I think I'll take a rest when you and my other esteemed pessimists/detractors take a rest from shouting "no, No, NO!!!" often unable to detail any reason or sense that one would imagine you must have behind your truly orgasmic feeling of negativity toward me.

Of course it's a resource sink, as entire hoards consisting of those important resources like iron would gradually be getting funnelled out.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:56 am

If you care for the psychological approach, cogliostro... You are posting suggestion after suggestion that would cause many experienced players to figure out a few days before getting even a bit used to it. All renewals will be opposed at first, that is a simple fact, but the more plainly visible objection here is simple. We haven't heard from you in many months, not a single post. Then all of a sudden you start bombarding the suggestion-forum.

It creates an annoyance because the people who try to prosper this game more and more have to read through everything and comment on everything then, because some people either can't or are not good enough with words to bring (in your opinion) valid counterpoints, you denounce them to be conservative in their way of thinking.

Remember, all what we post in favor of, or against your idea's is not to belittle you, or to make us be seen as detractors. It is more because we have a balance in the game right now, and the play is a lot of fun for all of us. The prosperity of this game is not a constant adaptation to everything that seems to be not entirely correct, but more a casual process that probably will never ens. A bombardment of suggestions will cause the former named balance to in serious jeopardy, and is why the suggestion-forum shouldn't be so incredibly crowded, it also creates a general disgruntlement over the name 'Cogliostro'.

I must say I admire your perseverance, but I do not approve of it in this matter.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:09 am

Dear Henkie. Unfortunate fact of life - I will once again vanish very soon, perhaps for years. This will happen as soon as my time here with you is up. Soak it up, file it away for later, I've not heard anyone say yet that the ideas I post are all stupid. It's actually the opposite, here I have an entire email box full of messages from total strangers who wrote to voice support not only about the ideas themselves, but the method I chose to introduce them to you, and the way it shakes up the orderly discourse, energizing innovators.

Back on topic, gentlemen!
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:15 am

Good for you, honestly, I indeed only argued the negative effect it CAN have, and if there are so many people in favor of your ideas, where are they here to back you up where the suggestion is actually argued?

I can appreciate the way you are doing this aswel, but I do not agree with it, my opinion.

And did I state anywhere your suggestions are bad? I don't think so ;)
________________________________________________________________________________________

The coinsystem rendering stealing impossible.. Isn't stealing a normal part of cantr?
And I don't really see the need for this, people can lock their coins away in a locked armoire in a locked room.. Right? Or just keep them with them for safekeeping!
curious

Postby curious » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:25 am

On Topic:
I don't like this idea. I have never seen the value of coins in-game other than to flip to make a decision. The creation of a bank does nothing to suggest why I should view the value of coins differently. It is just another 'expensive' building, that will, in truth, diminish the roles of smaller and poorer towns in game.

Off Topic:
I don't agree with most of your suggestions, as they just seem unwieldy or more simply unnecessary in terms of the current in-game mechanisms being somewhat manageable, to me at least.
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:45 am

You guys are leaving me nothing to say (I mean that in a good way :) )!!! So I will just say that I am against this, too. Once again, reasons well explained.
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
Vega

Postby Vega » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:12 pm

Why make things even hard to steal?
In my opinion, stealing is not easy enough. I'll support the option of steal things directly from people.
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:33 pm

Vega, I like the way you think!
Vega

Postby Vega » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:38 pm

No, you don't. Maybe with this, but you've proved that that's false. :P
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:01 pm

I'll even answer your question. The suggestion creates a special power for coins, adapting them to give you a safe deposit place that's accessible from anywhere in the civilized world. That special power is that no one can steal the coins from you once you bank them, and if you think about it, that correlates pretty much exactly with what real banks do with your real coins.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Currently, my safetybox for coins is my inventory...
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:06 pm

Yes, but imagine you are a successful trader. In the bank you could well have an amount of coins equal to 150,000g of iron, far more than can ever be carried. Yet, it'd be available to you if your different trade destinations in the world have banks. You could withdraw some, trade, and travel without actual piles of iron.
Last edited by Cogliostro on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Suggestions”