Coin Advantage, the Bank of Cantr.

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Cogliostro

Re: Coin Advantage, the Bank of Cantr.

Postby Cogliostro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Seko's objection has set me on an interesting mental journey. First I thought of an explanation for why coin banks could not be robbed: because they take coins, basically delete them, and only store them as a number. A pure abstraction, I thought, you can't rob that. But then genius struck:

Yeah, let's do this for coins, add these banks AND later on make them robbable (separate suggestion needed about how that would work), but the robber would only get their hands on the coins people deposited in this particular branch that they attacked. Only those. Not all of that person's coins which he or she may have deposited in different banks all over the place. Meanwhile, the person themselves can still always get all their coins from any bank, regardless of where they'd deposited them.

To the general haters who'll always generally hate, I just wanna say that what you call bombing I call explosive growth. And the more haters and their feeble wrath I earn upon my unruly head, the more genuine love I get from others that intuitively understand passion.
Last edited by Cogliostro on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:09 pm

I think most things against this suggestion have been said and they're strong enough to blow this suggestion to smithereens. It's a good try though.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:15 pm

It is a very good try. And what really does blow is the incapacity of most people to squeeze anything beyond "I dun likeee itttt" out of their brain, which they call a "strong enough objection" in their delusional world, where the votes of imbeciles must mean something.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:48 pm

Cultural differences, I believe we chatted about that?

Before you judge them like that, take into consideration that you don't really have a right to do so based on the fact that they argue in a different way than you.

And even if so, you have a few very annoying sides hidden in your way of arguing yourself.
erpderp32

Postby erpderp32 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:13 pm

Why it shouldn't be implemented:

It basically creates a true NPC in the game, rather than a player running a bank where you store your coins, it instead converts them into a number associated with whatever variable your character is in the database, and makes it impossible to lose coins.

The purpose of the game is that player's run all aspects of interaction, so a "bank" that holds an infinite amount of money would hinder character interaction and possible roleplay. For what purpose? So that the wealthy have no chance of losing their money.

Here's an idea, why not have a character create a bank, make a value for the currency, and store all of the tangible money in chests or barrels in the bank ( locked in separate room inside a locked bank...i'm paranoid like that) and if someone doesn't want to run around weighed down by coins, create either a sealed envelope from the bank owner or an uneditable note acting as a letter of credit (much like medieval/renaissance europe with different trade guilds).

It's not that people feel the need to just say "no no no no!!!!!!!!11111!!!11 3247234", its more or less that it makes no sense in the cantr world (and that's saying a lot in a world where people don't drink water or swim)

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I feel as if the game should be player run (you know aside from the updates and what not) and that a bank that prevents your money from being stolen via magic detracts from playing the game. In fact, it further eliminates "evil" characters and people who want to roleplay a thief, note there's a difference between newspawn stealing everything and a well played thief.

Also, how does a general bank work? if anyone can access their money from anywhere in the world, wouldn't that create a technology unknown to the world of cantr at large? electronic currency? so in any case, if you want that you'd need computers developed, the internet, and might was well throw in ICBM's (because there's nothing I wanna do more than shoot missile at islands on the Gallagher atlas)

All in all the idea has good intentions behind it on paper, but in practice it detracts from roleplay and removes player interaction and immersion.
BZR

Postby BZR » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 pm

Coins interface in Cantr is acceptable.

Problem lies with the trade - people trade too little to bother making coins.

A medium sized village needs transports of materials once in 1000 cantrian days. And usually gets it from different sellers.

To see increased usage of coins just change Cantr economy so it encourages the trade a bit more. For now it is too stale to bother minting.
gejyspa

Postby gejyspa » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:35 pm

erpderp32 wrote:Why it shouldn't be implemented:

It basically creates a true NPC in the game, rather than a player running a bank where you store your coins, it instead converts them into a number associated with whatever variable your character is in the database, and makes it impossible to lose coins.

The purpose of the game is that player's run all aspects of interaction, so a "bank" that holds an infinite amount of money would hinder character interaction and possible roleplay. For what purpose? So that the wealthy have no chance of losing their money.

Here's an idea, why not have a character create a bank, make a value for the currency, and store all of the tangible money in chests or barrels in the bank ( locked in separate room inside a locked bank...i'm paranoid like that) and if someone doesn't want to run around weighed down by coins, create either a sealed envelope from the bank owner or an uneditable note acting as a letter of credit (much like medieval/renaissance europe with different trade guilds).

It's not that people feel the need to just say "no no no no!!!!!!!!11111!!!11 3247234", its more or less that it makes no sense in the cantr world (and that's saying a lot in a world where people don't drink water or swim)

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I feel as if the game should be player run (you know aside from the updates and what not) and that a bank that prevents your money from being stolen via magic detracts from playing the game. In fact, it further eliminates "evil" characters and people who want to roleplay a thief, note there's a difference between newspawn stealing everything and a well played thief.

Also, how does a general bank work? if anyone can access their money from anywhere in the world, wouldn't that create a technology unknown to the world of cantr at large? electronic currency? so in any case, if you want that you'd need computers developed, the internet, and might was well throw in ICBM's (because there's nothing I wanna do more than shoot missile at islands on the Gallagher atlas)

All in all the idea has good intentions behind it on paper, but in practice it detracts from roleplay and removes player interaction and immersion.

No, you don't need technology to run a bank where you can withdraw from any bank in the chain anywhere in the world. It exactly IS a letter of credit. Bank in city A just issues you a piece of paper withtheir seal saying that you have X number of Cantrubles on deposit with them, and you take it to the bank in city B and ask to withdraw some of it. They give you the money, and take your letter of credit, and issue you a new one with your new total. All that's being done here is automating some of the steps. Now, you can argue (as you have) as to whether or not that shoud be allowed to be handled by in game mechanics as opposed to PC bankers, but to say that it requires tech is ismply a chimera.
erpderp32

Postby erpderp32 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:30 pm

gejyspa wrote:
erpderp32 wrote:Why it shouldn't be implemented:

No, you don't need technology to run a bank where you can withdraw from any bank in the chain anywhere in the world. It exactly IS a letter of credit. Bank in city A just issues you a piece of paper withtheir seal saying that you have X number of Cantrubles on deposit with them, and you take it to the bank in city B and ask to withdraw some of it. They give you the money, and take your letter of credit, and issue you a new one with your new total. All that's being done here is automating some of the steps. Now, you can argue (as you have) as to whether or not that shoud be allowed to be handled by in game mechanics as opposed to PC bankers, but to say that it requires tech is ismply a chimera.

i see your point. But with the letter of credit, the banks would all have to be in agreement. Which is nearly impossible without mass communication. For instance, a bank in Pok and a bank in Cantr would have to agree that the letter of credit is worth anything. Which would require communication between the two. I just don't see that working with how the idea was proposed. Or any semblance of fair play if the money is protected from theft. Furthermore, the bank in the other city would have to have an amount of coins equal to what you wish to withdraw, as well as what anyone else wants to withdraw. So it would make no sense that your money would be universal between all banks.
gejyspa

Postby gejyspa » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:29 pm

That's very true they would have to have the coins on hand in city B. And of course, if they don't, you can get a run on the bank, a very real possibility in the real world (current laws in the US are that banks need only have 10% of the money that's on the books as being on deposit as actual real currency, and that's purely their own local depositors). Indeed the same occurs with, for example, car rental companies. If everyone wants one-way rentals from Orlando to Chicago, the Orlando car rental company runs out of cars, and needs to have some deadheaded back. The same should apply to coins, perhaps through a clearinghouse, if one branch of a chain's supply runs short (unless of coure they also control the mint, which could be.. bad). So perhaps you have a point that complete automation should not be allowed, but
I dunno, still think it has some merits.
toon

Postby toon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:36 am

I do not like this suggestion for the same reason that people tend to disagree with having NPC traders. It takes away from the game being completely open. The more computerized the game becomes the less options you have. Also, the system doesn't make any sense. If a player in game wonders how the banking system works, the only plausible answer without having NPCs is that it's magic or a far more complex machine than any other that we have. Neither are or should be added to the game.

Return to “Suggestions”