Sailing rules change.

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Cogliostro

Re: Sailing rules change.

Postby Cogliostro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:40 pm

If you were to really consider it in practice, not in fanciful theory, then it would be self evident that theft and getting lost forever at sea is not a roleplay feature, it's a player-base killing annoyance.
curious

Postby curious » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:57 pm

Cogliostro wrote:If you were to really consider it in practice, not in fanciful theory, then it would be self evident that theft and getting lost forever at sea is not a roleplay feature, it's a player-base killing annoyance.

If you were to consider my vote 'no' as a simple objection, and refrain from describing my thought processes as 'fanciful theory'..?
As far as I'm concerned, you have made your case, and I disagree. Role play exists both assisted by and out with game mechanics, and I will resist the things I see as limiting my own role play. Even having to move my chars just to check and sail a little before returning to a cabin to work, I think is an important element of them developing as 'people'. It's that simple for me. Theft has to be dealt with, and basically, if you are worried about getting lost in open water, than make a point of playing this better, and steer your damned ship yourself.

You can describe me any way you wish, and God knows... you will continue to describe anyone who disagrees with you as in some way flawed,
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:26 pm

All my detractors are criminally fanciful theorizers who misguidedly want to play doll house with Cantr, and seem to think that watching the clock, popping out for the "sail tick" and then back inside constitutes some form of roleplay. Even, when they're sailing all alone. Do you also flirt with schitzophrenia and emote to noone whatsoever? Or, when the tick happens, do your *smiles happily* and all those primitive things you are wont to do as though that was RP, even when you're the only person on your ship?

For me, this is incomprehensible. Equally so, your insistence that ships working as ships should always have worked would "restrict your RP". You don't seem concerned that you're restricting people's navigation of the Cantr world, with your so-called unrestricted committment to "RP".
curious

Postby curious » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Removed. Because it was off topic and insulting. Ronja

*Admin... do what you want with this post, but if you remove me... for God's sake, do everyone else a favour and remove this prick too....
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:48 pm

If ships would sail with no one on deck, they should have a random chance of getting damage from the rocks near coast line and should randomly drift sideways because there was no one to make corrective maneuvers. There is no autopilot. Either you get a crew or you don't work belowdecks, just deal with it. I deal with it. Sometimes I go to the cargo hold and forget to come out before the sailing tick so the ship stops.
Not-so-sad panda
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:51 pm

You should not be forced to do that or even know that there is a sailing tick, Seko.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:58 pm

So then the time spent indoors should affect how badly you are lost by the time you come out, and every time you change course, it should calculate how much you've moved since last change and take that into account instead of using ticks. But if you don't watch where you're going, you shouldn't expect to end up in the exact direction you chose and shouldn't be able to safely avoid obstacles. I don't quite think many people would go inside and leave their ship sailing off by itself if there was a chance of getting lost or hitting stuff. It might work for short distances or if you have a sextant but it shouldn't be a reliable method.
Not-so-sad panda
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:03 pm

An "error" that gets introduced if you're not ondeck for a long time. That's a really cool idea. Solves everything, now if you want to stay inside you can, it still sails in the general direction but the ship will little by little veer off course. You have to come out and re-adjust it once in a while but it's not tied to any sail ticks. Beauty!

It has to be like an additive random deviation though, not something that causes your ship to go madhouse wacky the moment you step inside.
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:23 pm

I like this variation as well, and it might even be nice if the ship might eventually stop due to the sails not being adjusted properly to catch the wind at all.

I really support the idea of sailing while inside, however we're able to do it. Otherwise it is only the ones who pay close attention to the ticks of working and sailing that are able to do both, and to me, that's just wrong.
curious

Postby curious » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:38 pm

I think I am missing something here.
I would go for the notion of a boat randomly moving about if it were set to move, but I think a big error would have to be used too (unmanned boats could potentially go anywhere, and at any pace. I would hope that an 'anchored' boat would just stay put.

That aside, are we talking about this happening on the sea travel tick or not now? People will still just play to the tick, if this happens on the sail tick, and I don't see this changing that so much.
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Maybe just allow a few (like 4 maybe) ticks, not indefinite sailing. Yes, this makes you come out to check things.. but not every hour. It is slow paced, some people cannot check every hour.. and I have been on ships with 4 crew members, all of them died.. so having a crew doesn't always mean a thing. (by the way, a sextant is awesome))

Run...Dragon...Run!!!

Return to “Suggestions”