Building Names listed with Key Numbers

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Mitch79

Building Names listed with Key Numbers

Postby Mitch79 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:39 pm

As I was picking up about 600 keys today, I started thinking about something. There are those of us who have characters holding hundreds, sometimes (if you're like mine) about a thousand keys. I know that it would help me tremendously with key situation if the key numbers were listed in the Buildings list next to the building name. Shouldn't you be able to see the key number to the door? You can see the number by trying to break into it, why can't you see it just by looking at the door?

As it is right now you have to try breaking into the thing to see the key number if you don't have the key and if you do you are going in and out of all the buildings to check numbers. While labeling the key does help, you may end up with keys to other towns, and other places you won't know where they go to. And the keys are easy to mislabel, but it'd be better to see in your list and see the number on the door to know if you have the key to that building or vehicle. What would be the possibility of having key numbers listed with the building and vehicle names?
Doug R.

Re: Building Names listed with Key Numbers

Postby Doug R. » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:56 pm

My only comment here is that if we implement an event that shows when people are snooping about, you won't be able to find key numbers by starting lock-breaking projects anymore, as you'll be seen even if you don't finalize the project.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Vega

Postby Vega » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:01 pm

I like Mitch's idea A LOT.

(And sorry, Doug, I really didn't understand what have you said :? so maybe next thing it's duplicated but...)
It this about events when people is trying to enter locked buildings is implemented, having the number of the locks on the buildings will avoid A LOT of spam when people try to guess where are that unlabeled key from...
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:10 pm

You do have a point there, though, I have to say, implementing both would sort of cancel out any effect either one would have on it's own, making one beg the question if it's worth doing at all if we wind up where we started?
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:13 pm

Vega wrote:I like Mitch's idea A LOT.

(And sorry, Doug, I really didn't understand what have you said :? so maybe next thing it's duplicated but...)
It this about events when people is trying to enter locked buildings is implemented, having the number of the locks on the buildings will avoid A LOT of spam when people try to guess where are that unlabeled key from...

Exactly. A lot of the time I have to try just to find out what the key number is. If the keys numbers were listed with the doors I wouldn't have to check each one for a key number and when the event messages come up (if and when implemented), be mistaken for someone who is "snooping". I think you should be able to see the number on the lock anyway.
Vega

Postby Vega » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:31 pm

*Vega tears her transtalor certificate and gets too depressed.*

*Vega hires a Doug>Spanish translator.*

Euh... I've always been against the "trying to open a looked door" event. :roll:
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:04 pm

How about introducing a button called investigate lock numbers, and clicking on it would reveal all lock numbers and create a public event that Person X investigated all the locks.
Not-so-sad panda
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:06 pm

I don't think it would really cancel the other event message idea really. You're talking about a game message being sent out if someone is checking a locked door, correct? The key numbers lised would only allow you to see the key number, You are still going to have your theives and others checking out to see if doors are open. All this does is allow you to see key numbers to the doors and not be mistaken for snooping if that's all you're after. Theives are still going to try and get in, they're still going to be checking doors. I still think the event messages are a good idea but I think the key numbers being listed is still a good idea as well.

And Seko that might not be a bad idea but when you've a leader having to check them all you're going to have a page full of Person X investigated Lock 1, Person X investigated lock 2, and so on, all theway down your screen. It would be simpler if the building name just listed the building key number as well in my opinion.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:10 pm

That's why I suggested having a button that investigates all the locks at once, thus only creating one event.
Not-so-sad panda
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:12 pm

SekoETC wrote:That's why I suggested having a button that investigates all the locks at once, thus only creating one event.

I misread and misunderstood you :) That would actually be a great idea too. I think this or the building lock numbers being listed either one would be good especially when you have as many keys as this character has / continues to get. I know I"m not the only one this would help.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Somewhat off topic, forgive me... But I'd like to see the lock # listed and its status of locked/unlocked. Thieves are still going to run in and out of every unlocked building, so no worries about it preventing you from spotting troublemakers. What it will provide is a less clumsy way of knowing how you should RP.

I HATE emoting something like *runs inside and slams the door* then having to follow it up with *the slamming sound was actually his face hitting the door because it was locked*. It's very awkward.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown

Return to “Suggestions”