Eliminate Combat skills

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

psychowico

Re: Eliminate Combat skills

Postby psychowico » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:46 am

If people start to play the 'I quit' card, that won't help matters.
As for equality. I believe that inequality rests on far more than a chars ability to fight. Right now. I see a lot of leadership driven by this one single feature (with few exceptions), and for me... it has become all too valuable an asset to have in game.

I think this help. This give you info. I speak exacly what I feel about this idea. Totaly dis-agree. And I add reason - reason is my opinion about "equality".

You spoke " I believe that inequality rests on far more than a chars ability to fight" - so, if this rests on far more that fight skill - let remove fight skill? Because we have more things that make in game to much equality? Nonsense.
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

https://www.kinkykitty.pl
curious

Postby curious » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:01 am

I'm not criticising you for speaking your mind. This is, after all, an open forum.
I'm criticising you for saying you will (might) quit. That is actually quite childish.

But hey... don't let me stop you. I don't think I'd much miss a set of chars with such an unsophisticated take on what is potentially a very rich, and subtle environment.
And here, my point stands... It is an environment that has, in the past, suffered abuses as a result of combining 'stronger' chars with other game mechanics to simply disregard role play. It is an environment that still values one skill above all others, and as a result misses a lot of potential.

Call it 'nonsense' if you like, but it is still 'my' opinion, and to my mind, offers a case to answer.
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:08 am

I'm not criticising you for speaking your mind. This is, after all, an open forum.
I'm criticising you for saying you will (might) quit. That is actually quite childish.

Lol. This sentences are opposing in some way.
I spoke about you before words as nonsense from simialar reason.
I don't think that is "childish" stoping playing game that you don't like. Maybe for you Cantr is something like obligation, not for me.
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

curious

Postby curious » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:27 am

We could do this all day, and all it is now doing is diverting the topic.
bemon1

Postby bemon1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:32 am

In real world leadership used to be taken by peoples that killed enemies and was the strongest and the smartest. You born with different sets of "skills" like intelligence, looks, etc. dictated by genetics - in most cases its random because of mutations in your genetic code. What you saying is - let be all equal, have same sets of skills, take off randomness on character creation - all that probably because you don't have character with sets of skill you wanted to.

You may think its good idea, and yes its good but only for you. Taking off all of this things will probably make this game clone of Sims or something - when you only play stupid dolls in house, and that is boring.

You play games to have fun, not for grind character by 20 years in village digging for resources when nothing happens. If you want this kind of game, go on irc, talk to others and do role play, because without fight cantr became chat.
oxyquan

Postby oxyquan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:51 am

Cool idea! Let's make everyone equal in every aspect. No skills at all! Even no genders, it's introducing inequality...

But there's no problem with violence, there're strong groups fighting with pirates, guards, etc. There's problem with people who prefer to die for their silk clothes and then close their accounts because of their lost. And you're trying to change the rules because someone is smarter. Locks your ports, live inland, kill everyone else with a weapon, whatever. There's so many possibilities, there are character having no problems with protecting themselves.

And I will stop playing. Or my bad characters will use more sophisticated strategies to kill and spread chaos. The only way to stop this is killing my characters or disabling fighting at all.
Ronja Rotschopf

Postby Ronja Rotschopf » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:04 pm

I support each suggestion that brings Cantr into a direction that doesn't force people to train regularly just for not having huge disadvantages compared to violence-loving-characters. In my opinion fighting should be just one small aspect of the game and not the main goal.

And I'm absolutely for disconnecting dragging from the fighting skill. It's ridiculous that my much stronger than average character cannot drag a pile of 10 kilograms because she is not a skilled fighter (I have no idea what to write into her description because there is no proof that she is strong)
bemon1

Postby bemon1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:15 pm

How simple is that - you train - you have better skills - no training - no skill - like in real life. In opposite to you it will be better to game mechanics if you skill decrease when you no train - eg. you not building buildings for long time - you building skill decrease.

Best for you - dont force to do anything in game - just sit and talk to everybody, and hope that players wont be bored and quit playing game for good.
curious

Postby curious » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Perhaps, let me qualify something, rather than just face obtuse commentaries..?
I am 'not' against inequality in-game... I am against the abuses of in-game mechanisms.

I see the removal of combat skills as a good move toward some of these abuses, and also opening potential for 'different' forms of leadership and town management, and in an environment that should easily offer more.
Please don't put words in my mouth.
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:46 pm

But this idea will create much more "equality" in game. So it is againts inequality.

I interesting in changing fighting mechanic to better. But we don't need "turn off" fighting skills to made changes. Our problem is that any fighting re-write suggestion don't get fully accepted if I know. If we remove fighting skills it not make us more agreement and not give our ideas to resolve this problems that we have now.

bemon1

Postby bemon1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:48 pm

But combat skill are important part of game. If abuses exists then we should thing about changing mechanics in game rather than just remove important things. Instead of improving game you just proposing to cut important features.

Different form of leadership ? I see many - eg. i known towns where goddess rules or weak king with weak fighting skills. If too many people take leadership because they corrupt others with money you remove money too ? Only because you don't like it or cant be leader with your current character ?
curious

Postby curious » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Seriously..? What the fuck has any of this to do with 'me' or my chars..? Please tell me why this even matters.

STOP putting words in my mouth. It's fucking ignorant, and to be honest, just implies that you have not read or thought about anything put here intelligently. You are simply insinuating things that are not true, or even reasonable.

I think my support for the original suggestion is quite clearly put, despite efforts to derail it in terms of some futile and pathetic retorts.
Get over yourselves..!
bemon1

Postby bemon1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Figth is important. Get over yourself.
oxyquan

Postby oxyquan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Oh, I almost forgot. You have to remove locks and dragging. Because I'm going to starve your characters to death. Oh, you have to remove even buildings, because I'm going to starve them even without dragging and locks.
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:14 pm

curious wrote:Perhaps, let me qualify something, rather than just face obtuse commentaries..?
I am 'not' against inequality in-game... I am against the abuses of in-game mechanisms.

I see the removal of combat skills as a good move toward some of these abuses, and also opening potential for 'different' forms of leadership and town management, and in an environment that should easily offer more.
Please don't put words in my mouth.

I am in full agreement with curious. I stll stand by the original idea.

Return to “Suggestions”