Eliminate Combat skills

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Arenti

Re: Eliminate Combat skills

Postby Arenti » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:15 pm

personally I don't feel that the differences between other skills are that big as between combat skills. Since you can still work on things if your awkward but it just goes slower, it's not that much of a big disadvantage when compared to the difference of an awkward and expert fighter
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:21 pm

What if everybody's str and combat skills were reset to a neutral value across the board (and newspawns also got this same setting), but you could increase the skills in game. Combat would increase with the number of people you'd killed, and strength with the number of wooden carts you pushed cross-continentally.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:23 pm

If the skill is removed completely then people will simply do what they do now anyway and go for the weapons that do the most damage. All you're doing is eliminating the need to choose between the best weapon for strength versus the best weapon for skill.

The only good option is to figure out a completely new combat and skill system but that's going to take a lot of work and so far no one has been able to come up with one that everybody agrees on or that solves all the issues. Yes, it will reduce variety by removing the bottom two levels of skill, but at least it won't be such a broad difference between expert and awkward fighters. Keeping 3 levels seems reasonable to me. People can still RP their chars as too weak or clumsy to handle a weapon regardless of their skill level. Reducing the levels does not mean you have to reduce the variety that is RP'd.

I'm sure some would love to have the entire fighting system removed. :roll: :roll: :roll: (I won't fill up the screen with as many of those eyerolls as I'd like to express at that thought)
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:23 pm

It could be rather satisfying to encounter an expert fighter and know for a fact that you're dealing with a mass murderer.
Last edited by Cogliostro on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:24 pm

Cogliostro wrote:What if everybody's str and combat skills were reset to a neutral value across the board (and newspawns also got this same setting), but you could increase the skills in game. Combat would increase with the number of people you'd killed, and strength with the number of wooden carts you pushed cross-continentally.

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
OMGROFLMAO. x333
LOLOLOLOL

Yes, it's stupid idea.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
curious

Postby curious » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Anything that flattens the hierarchy is the combat system gets my vote.
Do it..!

Be interesting to see leaders emerge for different reasons, than being difficult to drag away :)
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:23 pm

I'm against eliminating fighting skill and strength completely because the differences create diversity, and being weak or strong, clumsy or athletic plays an important part in who my characters are. I suggest all people should start with awkward fighting skill, make development through sparring much faster and/or introduce alternative means of training (it would be logical if you could reach expert in for example ten years of daily practice) but make fighting skill deteriorate if not excercised. That way no one would get a free lunch. They would have to work for it. For strength, I'd suggest people starting in the weak to average range, it would get better with practice, and maybe it could deteriorate in the old age. Old people could still use crossbows, so they wouldn't be completely defenseless.
Not-so-sad panda
curious

Postby curious » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:55 pm

All that's fine, if you happen to live in a place where you can make a crossbow.
I wouldn't want to see the weak/strong distinctions lost, as I play my chars accordingly. I am just against the fighting skill thing. Perhaps the differences in weak/strong should have more impact, and allow people to exercise if they wish to add 'tone' or bulk. There must be some way to enhance this? Cycling etc... I dunno... I'm just guessing.

On a point of note: I don't know how many people have stood next to something like a claymore, or a two handed sword? They are massive, almost to my shoulder, and even I reckon I could easily hit someone with one. I can't fire a bow for shit.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 pm

I bet I'd do more damage with a knife than with a sword I could hardly even lift. Too bad Cantr can't reflect the same. I once tried shooting a bow and it was damn difficult, also requiring a lot of strenght, wobbly hands and all. With a dagger-like weapon, someone could get several stabs through in the time it takes someone else to swing a sword. The problem with short-range weapons is that you have to get close to the enemy and are vulnerable to retaliation.
Not-so-sad panda
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:30 am

I disagree with this. It makes it more real, in my opinion. Not everyone is born throwing spears at dragons. Nobody but me.

Jus kiddin. But you get my point.
curious

Postby curious » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:41 am

NostalgicMelody7 wrote:Jus kiddin. But you get my point.

No... actually, I don't... You'll have to enlighten me...
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:25 am

Greek wrote:Now I can't imagine a successful leader who is weak and awkward fighter, because one strong bandit is able to drag into his ship/do everything he wants.

curious wrote:Be interesting to see leaders emerge for different reasons, than being difficult to drag away :)

I have two weak / awkward (successful?) leaders. These aren't the ones who have been dragged off, but two strong ones and one of those with expert fighting skill that have been dragged onto ships. Although a third one of mine (strong / average fighter) was not able to be dragged off and had an interesting time instead. Other factors came into play - luck, chance, being awake at the time, population, radio and intertown alliances, who has keys, etc.

I think the game will suffer little without these skills, but for my three Amazonian characters I cringe inside. Don't know why though as not one has used that advantage. The one who would have a use for strength is better then average and it has meant she has survived animal attacts and other attacks by being a bit stronger. A weaker one would have died a few times over. Point is strength is designed into the game for more then dragging people and fighting.
yougo

Postby yougo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:01 am

I never understood what the big deal was with combat skills. People say I cheat, but Noah was an efficient fighting and average strength. I agree with Doug, go back to old way. Or better yet, don't just simply eliminate the luck factor of fighting with removing skills, but increase the tactical side as well. Create new weapons, add in some structures people can build for strategic advantage (i.e. walls, watch towers), and bring back tea!
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:09 am

It's a chance that I will stop playing if you will doing this.. God, people never be equal.. I hate equality..

To be clear, I not have any characters who are pirates or something similar. One who like fighting, but have occassions one since 5 years.
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

https://www.kinkykitty.pl
curious

Postby curious » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:38 am

psychowico wrote:It's a chance that I will stop playing if you will doing this.. God, people never be equal.. I hate equality..

To be clear, I not have any characters who are pirates or something similar. One who like fighting, but have occassions one since 5 years.

If people start to play the 'I quit' card, that won't help matters.
As for equality. I believe that inequality rests on far more than a chars ability to fight. Right now. I see a lot of leadership driven by this one single feature (with few exceptions), and for me... it has become all too valuable an asset to have in game.

Return to “Suggestions”