Lock with a lockbreaking attempt in progress

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Cogliostro

Lock with a lockbreaking attempt in progress

Postby Cogliostro » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:29 pm

Highlight any lock with a lockbreaking attempt currently in progress against it in red, in the Objects screen.
Remains red until the lockbreaking project is removed/cancelled.

Purpose: Allows the owner of a ship or building to see that there's an attempt to break their lock, without them having to exit their house/ship/vehicle and look in the projects list.
Mitch79

Re: Lock with a lockbreaking attempt in progress

Postby Mitch79 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Owners of ships or buildings SHOULD be checking their buildings for these sort of things. This to me is not useful in any way. A lockpicking project stays if it is started, It's not hard to check and see if there's one in the list.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:11 pm

Two points. First, what if the outside is hostile? If your connect is slow or you aren't good at fast button-clicking, such an attempt to regularly check something outside can cost the character his life.

Secondly, it may be fine for somebody owning one building or ship in one location to check this, but consider what happens if you own many, or that you have 8 characters who are in similar roles. Do you recommend that the player should go in and check that stuff for each of them, about twice a day or so?

But that's madness, it's a full-time job to do that monstrously pointless task. Looking at tons of long project lists like a paranoiac when the "red flag" could be raised so simply and obviously as to be unmissable whenever you casually look at what's on the floor of your house or ship.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:31 pm

I agree with this suggestion. There should be more than one indication per attempt that your lock is being busted. It's just logical.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:31 pm

People should be able to hear if someone is actively trying to pick a lock without having to go outside to check. Imagine if you're hiding behind two locks, you can't hear someone starting to break the first lock, and you still can't hear it when you enter the first room if the project was started while you were in the second room.
Not-so-sad panda
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:38 pm

I agree completely, Seko. However, mods have rejected my suggestion for that feature, citing that it's come up before.

Maybe it's come up before for a very good reason, and was rejected at the time due to some silly reason such as "that's unrealistic". I do not know. Because in my view, it's really mandatory baseline functionality for the lock system to notify all those inside about intruders.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 pm

The function of a lock is to keep people from coming through the door. It is not a building-wide security system. If you can't hear people talking through a door, you shouldn't be able to hear a lock being broken through a door either. That's just common sense. If you want a building-wide security system, start a new suggestion.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:43 pm

Cogliostro wrote:I agree completely, Seko. However, mods have rejected my suggestion for that feature, citing that it's come up before.

In fact, it was YOU who suggested it before. :lol: One quick search reveals:

http://forum.cantr.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19987

Never really was a consensus on the topic but there's plenty of arguments for and against within the thread.

As for the suggestion of this thread, I don't have a problem with it. People move within their buildings without actually stepping outside. I'd much prefer the lock turn red than have the sound of the lockpicking resonate throughout every inner room. It still requires some active checking.
Last edited by SumBum on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
curious

Postby curious » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:46 pm

If you are in the room that the attempt is being made on, what about something like docking?
"You hear a continuing attempt to break... blah." (on the project tick).

I also disagree that you should be able to hear these attempts if you are deeper in the building... ship etc.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting it should be heard further in the building, but if you entered the main room, surely you should be able to hear if someone was actively trying to break the lock. Maybe the lock would have an indicator in that case, while if the lockbreaker had ceased working on the project, it would make sense if the signs of a break in attempt were only visible from the side where the project was started.
Not-so-sad panda
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:18 am

I would agree with that, Seko. The lock appears red in the main room if someone is actively working on breaking it from the other side. They stop working on it, the red disappears, you would need to go outside to see that there is a project to break the lock.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Anyone else agree?
Not-so-sad panda
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:38 pm

Sounds like a good idea indeed
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:31 pm

It sounds good, but would open the door to "gamey" tactics, like waiting for the project tick,enabling project, then quickly getting off it.

Also implementation wise, constantly checking is there someone trying to actively break this lock right this moment (when rendering the Objects page) would add a bit of unnecessary load I think, compared to just checking for the project's presence (one time when it's created, one time when it's dissolved).

Return to “Suggestions”