Add a "workaholic" effect to tea and coffee.

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Cogliostro

Add a "workaholic" effect to tea and coffee.

Postby Cogliostro » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:20 am

Having tea or coffee in your backpack adds a 50% chance that when you're working on any project you'll get a message like:
"You sip some of your coffee and are able to work longer than usual."

Allows that character to accomplish 2X the usual amount of work per hour, if it triggers (and only in that one hour). A portion of the tea/coffee is used up if this happens.

Possibly, it should be in the char's stomach, not the backpack?
psychowico

Re: Add a "workaholic" effect to tea and coffee.

Postby psychowico » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:51 am

Maybe not doubled, but something like this can be good use for tea in game.. +20% faster works, but just always when you have enough tea in stomach?
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

https://www.kinkykitty.pl
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:37 pm

We do need to find another use for the energy restoring foods. And I agree, any effect would need to have the food in the stomach already.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Doug R. wrote:We do need to find another use for the energy restoring foods. And I agree, any effect would need to have the food in the stomach already.

But why not found it? Not it doing nothing, yes? So in real we can just throw tea away from game.
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Because characters put a lot of time into making tea and are still sitting on their piles. It should do -something-, and even if it doesn't, it's adequate for role-play.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:51 pm

What do people think about the 50/50 chance of it working? So let's imagine you drank/swallowed 500g of tea or coffee and went to work with it in your stomach. Can we make it so that the tea in-stomach gets reduced by a fixed amount each tick, and then half the time there's the chance that it applies its productivity boost on that tick?
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Doug R. wrote:Because characters put a lot of time into making tea and are still sitting on their piles.

And this is contrargument? ;) So, they have it, but what wrong with it? They will have chance to use it and it not be much danger for economy I think (because it is hard to make economy worse that we have now in my opinion).

yougo

Postby yougo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:31 am

Anything that makes tea useful again I'm all for.
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:36 am

You were the reason tea had to be removed from it use before. Aren't you still banned.?
yougo

Postby yougo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:48 am

Mitch79 wrote:You were the reason tea had to be removed from it use before. Aren't you still banned.?

Keep the discussion on topic please. :wink:
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:49 am

yes as far I know he's still banned but he doesn't seem to get it.
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:04 pm

-reads above three posts-
He just pwned you, Mitch & Arenti.
</offtopic>

I like this idea.

I wonder if there should be a risk factor that is directly proportional to how much you drink, with it being higher for coffee. The concept is that you've had so much caffeine that you start bouncing around too much, or maybe you have to pee, and it lowers how much work you can do in that hour. (That's the concept; it doesn't have to look like that in the mechanics or roleplayed like that.) This might occur in one out of three times that the coffee does anything at all, and one of four times for all the other tiredness-reducing drinks.

Also: I don't think the workaholic effect should be strictly 2x. I think it should range between 1.5 and 2.5, and that value be based purely on chance, and the system event should not tell you what that value is.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:57 pm

It would not "pay" to go into all the detail of modelling caffeine, in my opinion, but Snickie's other idea about variable (and random) effect factor might be really good.

I initially described it to be 50/50 random, so that, half the time you use up a portion of the tea currently in the stomach and nothing happens on that tick, no boost. This "unpredictability" of tea's positive effect seems important to have.

Return to “Suggestions”