Give all they can hold button.

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Doug R.

Give all they can hold button.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Like the "All" button in Cantr Enhanced, except for giving to another person. It would just hand them as much as they can hold.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SumBum

Re: Give all they can hold button.

Postby SumBum » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:45 pm

I'm sure I'll get harassed a bit for saying this but... I don't really like the idea of other players knowing how much my chars are holding. There's potential for abuse. Yes, I know it would be obscure or minimal, but still gives people info they don't need to know.

Aside from that, it would be nice instead of handing things to people 50g at a time until they can't hold anymore.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:15 pm

I like the idea Doug, but SumBum, I am confused, how could it be an potential for abuse?

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:35 pm

Now I just keep halving what I try to hand them, until I hand them the last gram.
Ronja Rotschopf

Postby Ronja Rotschopf » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:42 am

Sunni Daez wrote:I like the idea Doug, but SumBum, I am confused, how could it be an potential for abuse?

You could do a weight test without the victim even noticing it. You could easily check if someone who entered a building has taken anything without having seen it, when you know how much he was carrying before he entered the building and how much he was carrying afterwards.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Only if the number is told to you before-hand. If the character isn't actually told how much they will hand them, then it negates this.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:43 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of making targets of chars. Kidnapping for profit: who are you going to grab, the one carrying 14kg or the one carrying 2kg? Looking for easy marks to kill: the ones holding less likely have less healing food. (Yes, there are other factors involved in that regarding seen inventory, age, etc etc....but they're all pieces of a puzzle and you're giving a player one more piece by knowing how much a char is holding.) Want to kill a sleeper without looking suspicious? Now you know exactly how much junk you can hand them so no one can feed them without drawing attention by handing them something gram by gram.

Maybe those are far-fetched and may not happen often, but those are the sort of things that popped into my head immediately. There are probably other scenarios I could come up with if I thought on it. Ronja's suggestions are actually pros in my mind but still giving people knowledge they shouldn't have, imo.

As I said, I like the idea from a convenience standpoint. I'm just playing devil's advocate somewhat and somewhat uneasy about my own chars being scrutinized so closely. Considering this gives players additional info about a char, I think it needs to be looked at from all angles.
Yang

Postby Yang » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Solution is very simple. You wish to give something to somebody, but instead of "to much wight" message, you give him as much is possible. This way is easier, and without risk for abuses.
Its just like all button in cantr enchanced. It take all or as much you can take. Without manually calculating how much you can pick up.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:23 pm

That may be the best compromise: make it so you don't see the amount of how much would be handed over. I don't use Cantr Enhanced so my apologies to Doug if that was his original intention.

My interpretation of it was that we would get a screen similar to an engine's capacity when you want to add fuel. Something that would show you how much space was available before you actually entered the amount. That is what I would take issue with. I wouldn't want the ability to see the actual amount that a char is holding.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:14 pm

SumBum wrote:My interpretation of it was that we would get a screen similar to an engine's capacity when you want to add fuel. Something that would show you how much space was available before you actually entered the amount. That is what I would take issue with. I wouldn't want the ability to see the actual amount that a char is holding.

No, nothing at all like this.
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:50 am

I'm confused. I have a trade going on and I have ten kilos of wood n my arms. The give all button will tell me exactly how much they can take if they have less the ten kilos of space surely. I just need to look at the difference?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Sure, if you do math. Also, they, and everyone else, will see you hand them the stuff. People were objecting to stealth weight testing, where it is unseen.
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Yes, I got that, but just doing the math applies in any of the examples. I'm with SumBum. Although I'd like a simple way of pushing less buttons and I could do this by continually halving as suggested, I still think it has the potential of being more likely to go undetected in a sneaky situation. Formal weight testing is only one example. SumBum gave some other very good scenarios.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:24 pm

I don't like it either.. If you want to give people everything they can carry, ask what they can hold.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:54 pm

I don't have a problem with the idea as long as the person handing things over can't see how much they would be passing beforehand. Being able to see how much someone was holding without actually handing them anything is what concerned me. Yes, you can still figure that out by calculating after you hand them things but at least that gives a notification so you can't check things out on the sly.

You risk handing over everything you own of that resource if the other person has a lot of room, too. :lol:

Return to “Suggestions”