Spawning characters of new players

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

psychowico

Spawning characters of new players

Postby psychowico » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:54 am

So, new players almost always confused with game and need helping. I have some proposition to give them a little easier start.

I suggest that the first created character of any player will be spawned with location that fit some condition:
* location with 10 or more characters using this same language
* location were other characters showed some activity in last few days.. for example more that twenty events for any from last 3 days

This can help us keep new players, what do you think about it? Maybe you have some own idea?
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

https://www.kinkykitty.pl
Addicted

Re: Spawning characters of new players

Postby Addicted » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:11 am

Yes. It sounds reasonable. My second spawned on Fu as a ship was exploring. It was - interesting.
masterekat

Postby masterekat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:25 am

I think this will increase our retention rates dramatically, as well as help out the places with characters that are actually taking time to play the game.
Majix

Postby Majix » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:56 am

Maybe the very first char of a new player should be marked in some way, so others easily understands that this char needs more help than an usual newspawn. The mark should go away after some time.
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:00 am

Nice idea. I think it should be some simple icon, it would be nice that new players not realize that they are marked, but any older player should know what this mean :roll:
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

Pies
Programming Dept. Member

Postby Pies » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:01 am

Good idea. That what Majix wrote is also interesting.
dwudziestoletni mężczyzna wrote:"OOC: Jak ci się nie podoba, to nie graj. Ta gra nie szuka więcej graczy."

kaloryfer wrote:This game already has a lot of problems, new players would only bring new ones.
Ronja Rotschopf

Postby Ronja Rotschopf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:48 pm

psychowico wrote: * location with 10 or more characters using this same language

That's a real bad idea for small language groups. If it's possible to implement it separatedly for the different languages I don't mind if it gets implemented for the languages that'll have enough spawning options then (I know for sure that for German and Esperanto this is not the case)
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Remember that we are talking only about first character of new player.

Ronja Rotschopf

Postby Ronja Rotschopf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm aware of it.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:55 pm

That's what I noticed, too. With these rules many small language zones would have no legal spawn points. You would have to include a mechanism that switches to the regular spawning algorythm if no suitable spawn points can be found.
Pretty in pink.
Ronja Rotschopf

Postby Ronja Rotschopf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:01 pm

That's a solution for those language groups that would have no regular spawn point. But it's not a solution for language groups that would have one or two regular spawn points. It's just not fair to limit spawning of characters of new players so much more (I think there is already a special spawning routine for the first two characters of a player, and in my opinion it's sufficient for most language groups)

If I remember it correctly there was also the discussion that newspawns get easier ignored in large towns. And that most players in large towns get annoyed by typical newspawn/new player behavior.
Small language groups appreciate every newspawn, no matter where it spawns.
magnus

Postby magnus » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:33 pm

I think there should be some kind of "test" location for new players. Like isolated island with, say, 3 or 4 inland locations. Standard game mechanic with projects, travel, but maybe with some restrictions to fighting and death. There should be couple of older characters, with big experience to help new players. After training the new character will be "promoted" and spawned in regular location (even with experience he got and basic tools/clothes).
Every new player should have at least one character trained this way before regular spawning.
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:58 pm

magnus wrote:I think there should be some kind of "test" location for new players. Like isolated island with, say, 3 or 4 inland locations. Standard game mechanic with projects, travel, but maybe with some restrictions to fighting and death. There should be couple of older characters, with big experience to help new players. After training the new character will be "promoted" and spawned in regular location (even with experience he got and basic tools/clothes).
Every new player should have at least one character trained this way before regular spawning.

I find this a very interesting suggestion to help with player retention. A kind of interactive tutorial for game mechanics?
masterekat

Postby masterekat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:43 pm

That really needs to happen. This way the characters of players who really aren't understanding the game or who are purposely trying to interrupt it won't end up in the actual game. Plus, it would cut down on ooc notes in game too. I would volunteer to have a character on the tutorial island and since I'm in contact with new players anyway, I could even tell them who my tutorial character is, so they could ask for help in game.
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:24 pm

I think this will result for new players false look at the game. I see many way for tutorials, but now some like special island.. And what with this characters? They would be teleported in other place when they ready? Or stay there forever? I'm totaly oppose this idea.

Return to “Suggestions”