Solar still

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Sunni Daez

Re: Solar still

Postby Sunni Daez » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:18 pm

To grow 10 days worth of herbs is 600g of water

to get 600g of water from a solar still is 40 days, 2 years.

From a well, in 10 days .. 4000g water

I built a solar still, basically it is useless for what you have to put into it.

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
curious

Postby curious » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:54 pm

They're handy enough, if you live on a boat, and all you have a fishing net, but I agree, for what it takes to make it... the output (even if both the water 'and' salt were obtained) is dismal.

I like the idea that a 'bonus' output might be tagged onto the project though, and if the codes are about reaching sufficient conditions, then this might be possible?

I do see the solar still as more about avoiding death than influencing the economy.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:03 pm

Yes, but increasing it would counter the mindset of punishing sailors. :P
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Solar still output was intentionally left low. I think it would be more useful if it had water and salt as an output, but that's not currently possible.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:55 pm

Can you really extract salt fast enough to then salt food to prevent starvation, or just enough to prolong it?

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Prolong. Being able to survive indefinitely at sea is highly discouraged by the game mechanics.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
curious

Postby curious » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:12 pm

Salted salmon is eaten at 28 grams a day.
5 days on a still gets 75 grams of salt, and you need 50 of this to salt 350 grams of salmon from 400 raw fish (fishing gets 350 salmon in a day, and you can fish as the still works, but you can't sail)

10 days is 150g salt... enough to salt 1050 fish (from 1200g)... that's like 18 days worth for two people..? I think

So, if you are prepared to fish a lot, the still will keep you alive... but your chars will get seriously pissed off eating salted salmon all the time.
What's the worst that can happen... if my maths is off... I'm dead... :P
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:17 pm

If you cannot sail while you catch fish, you are certainly not getting any closer to a food source to save you.

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:44 pm

From curiosity I read about solar stills on the web (salt plants is another issue, in a very different scale). Nowhere does it mention being used to extract salt, only to desalinate or purify water. If y'all want realism I'd say we start making 1000 grams of water per day a nutrition minimum, and give out damage to characters who doesn't manage to drink it.

I also agree with the game mechanics. Sailors need to hit shore now and then to restock. This is out of topic though, and should probably be discussed in a separate thread. :)
curious

Postby curious » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:02 am

Sunni Daez wrote:If you cannot sail while you catch fish, you are certainly not getting any closer to a food source to save you.

This is true. *nods* But rather, I think journey times would be prolonged as opposed to halted altogether.
Maybe two in a ship could survive, but there would be serious issues for more than that.
madfish

Postby madfish » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:40 am

EchoMan wrote:From curiosity I read about solar stills on the web (salt plants is another issue, in a very different scale). Nowhere does it mention being used to extract salt, only to desalinate or purify water.

Salt is a bi product of using a solar still to get fresh water from salt water.
West is the new North!
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:34 am

Not necessarily. It might be more efficient to exchange the water when its salinity reaches a certain point. In this case all you would get is brine.
Pretty in pink.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:53 am

madfish wrote:
EchoMan wrote:From curiosity I read about solar stills on the web (salt plants is another issue, in a very different scale). Nowhere does it mention being used to extract salt, only to desalinate or purify water.

More like a soggy goo of salt, dead micro-organisms and other kinds of pollution. ;)
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:50 am

EchoMan wrote:
madfish wrote:Salt is a bi product of using a solar still to get fresh water from salt water.

More like a soggy goo of salt, dead micro-organisms and other kinds of pollution. ;)

But there's no pollution in Cantr (just littering of pointless notes and animal parts), so we don't have that problem. ;)
Last edited by Snickie on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
madfish

Postby madfish » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:53 am

EchoMan wrote:
madfish wrote:

It's really not as difficult as you're making it out to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_salt
West is the new North!

Return to “Suggestions”