Posthumous Turn Reports

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

madfish

Posthumous Turn Reports

Postby madfish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:25 am

I suggest that you should get a turn report from the day following the death of one of your characters from the last location they were at.

At the moment you never find out what happens following your characters deaths and any attempt to do so is a CRB. So I think one last turn report would be good closure on a characters life. In my opinion there is nothing worse than being told a character, who you put a lot of effort into, is dead by a cold message on the player page. It's like, "oh that's that then." I just think it would be nice to know how your characters death effected other people in the immediate aftermath.
West is the new North!
Doug R.

Re: Posthumous Turn Reports

Postby Doug R. » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:22 pm

There is no easy way to do this, since turn reports are character-centric. Once the character ceases to exist, you can't generate events for it.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
madfish

Postby madfish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:18 pm

wouldn't be that difficult. I think I might make an application for the programming department. Every suggestion here seems to need to be easy to implement or it's cast aside. Counter productive imo.
West is the new North!
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:04 pm

It would just need to change something to include recently deceased people as listeners
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:17 pm

Ok. I have no objections to this.
Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:32 pm

madfish wrote:At the moment you never find out what happens following your characters deaths and any attempt to do so is a CRB.

No. Post a request for anyone currently in such-and-such town to PM you. Then in PM, ask for a report of the day or two after your character's death. If you don't mention the death in your public post, you don't even have to wait four days.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:32 pm

One of the things that are kind of well designed about Cantr is that characters doesn't get deleted on death. So the algorithm for finding characters who should be subjects of events only have to be extended (beyond living characters) with dead characters that died within 1 (2?) day(s) of the event. Of course this will add more processing to an already choked Cantr, but there are worse calculations being done everywhere, so I don't see it as a big issue.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Chris wrote:
madfish wrote:At the moment you never find out what happens following your characters deaths and any attempt to do so is a CRB.

No. Post a request for anyone currently in such-and-such town to PM you. Then in PM, ask for a report of the day or two after your character's death. If you don't mention the death in your public post, you don't even have to wait four days.

And what if you don't like to play OOC? You don't know anyone playing a char in that town? People don't want to out their characters? OOC is like the plague, get rid of it all... :p
Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:18 pm

EchoMan wrote:And what if you don't like to play OOC? You don't know anyone playing a char in that town? People don't want to out their characters? OOC is like the plague, get rid of it all... :p

I am not against the suggestion. I was just saying that contacting other players is not necessarily a CRB, which was a claim made in the OP. Given the time we may have to wait for an approved suggestion to get into the game, it's an option that people should consider — an option that is already available, however imperfect.
Okud

Postby Okud » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:17 pm

:twisted: When your character dies, you can choose to turn him into a ghost, that can go in and out of locked buildings and spy on everyone. If the character dies a violent death, it can move things around and generally haunt the location.
Edit: oh, and also start diseases.
Reality is that which when you stop believing in it does not go away. (Philip K. Dick)
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:58 am

That's an insanely good idea. 10 days of ghost-time after death ftw! :)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:46 pm

*waits for Piscator's veto...*
madfish

Postby madfish » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:49 pm

The ghost thing sounds cool, ...although the picking up items part is a bit OTT :lol: .
West is the new North!
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:20 pm

I'd say a big no to ghosting around - there's too much potential abuse there. Posthumous Turn Reports might be okay, though, if only posting a very short period after your death.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:31 pm

Weeell... I wouldn't mind passive ghosting around very much. If you don't like it, you can just ignore it. I'm just a bit concerned about players being able to get information they would otherwise not be able to get. Abuse of information is hard enough to prove as it it is and a player who just lost a character might be more inclined to commit a CRB to avenge his character's death than he'd usually be.

Moving items would go a bit far and would also not be very useful in my opinion. Moving stuff from one room to another seems a bit pointless except for annoying the living. Apart from that, this could be seen as another attempt to discourage killing of characters even more.

I guess we could collect the corpse's turn reports for seven days (or until it is buried) and then send them collectively to the player. This would give him a chance to review the events after his character's death, but would delay information about on-going events and would also give him enough time to calm down.
Pretty in pink.

Return to “Suggestions”