Combat Rewrite II

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Which system do you like the most?

Suggestion 1
10%
Suggestion 2
15%
Suggestion 3
51%
The current system
22%
They're all terrible (please propose an alternative system)
2%

Total votes: 94
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Re: Combat Rewrite II

Postby Joshuamonkey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Mykey wrote:4. Will there be new armors?
Mykey wrote:Call me crazy, but I always thought things like battle axes were designed as blunt weapons to smash through shields..
And blocking a crossbow bolt with a shield, while possible, Shouldn`t be that easy. Same for a blow darts and even regular arrows.
Unless these shield are like what the roman legions used and cover most of the body. I may even just be speaking out of place because I`m not completely sure these things haven`t been changed.
And wooden shields and bone shields... shouldn`t these be broken easily by steel weapons? Tortoise shell may stand up better...

These ideas may work to some extent. We want there to be disadvantages and advantages to using different weapons; different advantages of shields would be nice too.
Mykey wrote:3.Will any ideas from suggestion 1 be used?

Yes. There will likely be dragging changes and other things from suggestion 1 that work with suggestion 3.

Mykey wrote:1. Will any of the ideas about ranged weapons in suggestion 2 be used?
Ranged weapon speed? Weapons can't have speed in any other suggestion. Adding a disadvantage to melee weapons across vehicles is a possibility.

Mykey wrote:5. I haven`t seen anything like a critical hit, though I have noticed shields sometimes fail, any chance of 1.5 damage 1-5% of the time for melee weapons?

We don't want to increase damage.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
cooldevo

Postby cooldevo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Mykey wrote:4. Will there be new armors?

Shields are the only armor that exist in-game currently. There is no clothing armor yet. I would like to see some in-game at some point.

Mykey wrote:*EDIT* Disregard some of the comments I`m reading the wiki now. It seems some improvements have been made, though the rot,repair and strength weight seem more than a little off still.

A lot of the weapons haven't been touched because, if I remember correctly, we didn't want to adjust everything only to find it wouldn't fit properly into the new combat system. When the new combat system is chosen it will make tweaking the weapons to fit a lot easier as we will have the framework to be within.

I think the same is applied to armor. It won't really be looked at too closely until we know how the combat system will function.

Hopefully I got it right, if not I'm sure Piscator will be able to correct me. :-)

Joshuamonkey wrote:These ideas may work to some extent. We want there to be disadvantages and advantages to using different weapons; different advantages of shields would be nice too.

I would be making a big push for this if it is ever looked at. Especially for things like weapons and protection. They should have not just pros, but cons as well. Nothing should be perfect at stopping everything. Bone shields should be very basic and provide little protection against steel. However, a steel shield should be heavy and although able to absorb more punishment it would be slower due to its weight. That would give weapons like steel daggers/dirks an advantage as they are light and quick versus a slow more cumbersome shield. Specializing weapons and protection in different ways would allow diversity amongst what people carry as far too many use the steel shield and steel battle axe or crossbow combination.
Mykey

Postby Mykey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Thank you Joshuamonkey and Cooldevo for some responses. :D

Joshuamonkey wrote:We don't want to increase damage.

It wouldn`t really increase damage, just give a small chance for extra damage. I personally have a big problem with every hit doing the same amount of damage every time. (lucky hit)
Even though it doesn`t due to misses and shield failure. I think the weapons should have a damage range like most rpg`s. And certain things like the crossbow.... I don`t understand how strength plays any role in a completely mechanical action.

Having easily calculated damage is a big problem. It makes it pretty easy to know exactly what it would take to wipe out a single person or army. A damage range on weapons combined with a critical hit and maybe even an excellent block would make it much harder to mastermind and throw much more needed variables in the mix.
Last edited by Mykey on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Zlotnik wrote:
imagine not so hipotetical situation where kidnapped char is trying to escape from kidnappers. He leave all unnecessary burden and go random road. If he has minimum weight usually he will be attacked once by every kidnapper and if he survive it he will escape because he has time advantage. After freezing he is instantly a dead man no matter how long fight will last.

2nd-ed.

Zlotnik wrote:
- People with 0% health enter the near death state, which would make them drop their inventory and render them unable to do anything but speak and notice events. If not healed within a certain number of days (1,2,3?), the character dies.

Epic idea is epic. But cantr shouldn't become game for immortals!
One or two days maximum and my proposition is that character should be somehow affected by that halfdead state. Maybe he should loose some fighting skills, strength temporarily. Or maybe he should be “weaker” and if someone kill him again in 2 days after healing and coming back to the world of living he won't be able to be resurrected.
He shouldn't have 9 lives :x In other case this halfdead state will be overused.
Every tale should have an ending you know...

I agree also.
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:34 pm

KEVEZ wrote:
Zlotnik wrote:
imagine not so hipotetical situation where kidnapped char is trying to escape from kidnappers. He leave all unnecessary burden and go random road. If he has minimum weight usually he will be attacked once by every kidnapper and if he survive it he will escape because he has time advantage. After freezing he is instantly a dead man no matter how long fight will last.

2nd-ed.

Zlotnik wrote:
- People with 0% health enter the near death state, which would make them drop their inventory and render them unable to do anything but speak and notice events. If not healed within a certain number of days (1,2,3?), the character dies.

Epic idea is epic. But cantr shouldn't become game for immortals!
One or two days maximum and my proposition is that character should be somehow affected by that halfdead state. Maybe he should loose some fighting skills, strength temporarily. Or maybe he should be “weaker” and if someone kill him again in 2 days after healing and coming back to the world of living he won't be able to be resurrected.
He shouldn't have 9 lives :x In other case this halfdead state will be overused.
Every tale should have an ending you know...

I agree also.

Anything but speak and notice events! What's to be overused here? Speak the attackers to death by boredom?
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:53 pm

I think that he mean, you can make problems but never be death for them if you have access to enough healing food to heal yourself after each knock out.
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
Keegan Ingrassia

Postby Keegan Ingrassia » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:32 pm

KEVEZ wrote:I think that he mean, you can make problems but never be death for them if you have access to enough healing food to heal yourself after each knock out.

Yes but, it also says that when you are incapacitated, you drop all your items. The only way to get healed in that near-death state is if someone else gave the healing food to you.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.

Bis vivit qui bene.
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 pm

It is obvious, but it still does not eliminate possibility to make some chars with unlimited live. As attacker you would have to knock down whole town at once so they cannot cure themselves.
Keegan Ingrassia

Postby Keegan Ingrassia » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:53 pm

Ooo, good point. That would be obnoxious, and really would make assassinations of despots and tyrants impossible...
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.

Bis vivit qui bene.
Mykey

Postby Mykey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:57 pm

KEVEZ wrote:It is obvious, but it still does not eliminate possibility to make some chars with unlimited live. As attacker you would have to knock down whole town at once so they cannot cure themselves.

Well as long as you can`t move into buildings and you drop everything or they can go through your inventory. I don`t see how you`d get an unlimited health. Someone would have to heal you for starters, and I would assume most killing is done for material reasons. By the time someone would be kind enough to provide you healing food, the attackers would have likely ran off with all of your stuff.

If it`s a coup and they plan on taking over, then they kind of have to kill everyone anyways or frighten/bribe them into submission.

Chris wrote:If near-death state is implemented, it should be possible to drag the nearly dead person with 100% success. For that matter, the same should be true with a corpse.

2nd`d
Last edited by Mykey on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:05 pm

If near-death state is implemented, it should be possible to drag the nearly dead person with 100% success. For that matter, the same should be true with a corpse.
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:26 pm

3 seems like a good one with two exceptions. Don't care for auto-retaliate, Cantr just doesn't seem like the kind of game to allow "bots" so to speak. Part of the fun of Cantr warfare is you can catch people off guard, which can give a smaller unit some chance against a larger force. If there's auto-retaliate that is removed.

And the near death state thing could become problematic also. If the guy has ten friends nearby they could never be killed, their buddies would just keep reviving them; not very realistic. I would like to see some chance for healing in those situations though. But I'm thinking it should have to be in a situation where the person is no longer in danger. In real life you would have to work on somebody who's gravely wounded as such, and then there's only a chance they could be saved. So maybe make it a project of some kind. And if an enemy is around, there should be some action they could take to prevent a heal against the target. That way his friends would have to take him inside away from those who would do him harm, or kill/drive away the enemy before even thinking of healing the wounded person.
KUKUS

Postby KUKUS » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:28 pm

kaloryfer wrote:current system
+ people after 100% dmg enter near-death state (lose all items, can't work), when they have 3 days to be healed and work normally or die permanently

that would be enough for me

+1

I do not like any of the proposed systems, only eliminate the problems of the current system to create new problems.

/ironic mode on

If the learning curve is small, increase it to be even more reason not to have patience with Cantr.

/ Ironic modo off

Please do not touch. :roll:
OvertNi

Postby OvertNi » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:20 am

I think number 3 is okay, but currently my vote is for keeping the system the same. Why? Because I don't like the idea of limiting how much healing food you can consume in a day, nor do I really understand why it's necessary to limit it, when how much you can successfully attack each day is already limited.
Drael

Postby Drael » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:59 am

Lots of thoughts on this. Cant pick one, lean towards 1 with elements of 2 and 3. I am going to go with 1, but make the suggestion that it should include some strategic tweeks and flourishes as described below:

1) Attacking someone, rather than resulting in a sheild block, either at the defenders option, or even randomly in a nondelayed system - can result in a pure counterstrike - giving both players potential hits, and thus un-sheild-defended damage. This ups the risk for the attacker - having the inititiave, or surprise element, should rule out, strategy, or luck, from that point forward.

Similarly -

2) Dragging someone, who is armed with a reach weapon - using only your hands (see end for note) - should be dangerous no matter how many there are of you. Dragging as such should risk random chances of you being spiked - unsheilded, by the dragee's weapon. If someone can block with a sheild automatically, they can stick out their sword, so you impale yourself on it. Secondly, one should first incapacitate someone, via this process, and _then_ drag them. Of course if they don't have a weapon, not such an issue.

Now, this makes it harder to drag generally, so you do now need one thing extra - the ability to give drag permissions to people, or have a draglist

This is all essentially because first attacker gets unfair advatange in a pure, hit, block system, because any hit scores fatigue, or wounds, lowering odds. You have to remove that, to avoid surprise based tactics ruling over all others.

IMO, now, in general, I dont like pure automation, for whole combat wide processes. As aspects of defending IMO its okay, so long as its not really dictating character.

As such, I am stuck a little on choice. 3, has some good features, 2 also, and 1 is like the old almost great idea, but kinda stripped of its flourish and creativity. So put it back in, and people may like it again :)

I also would like to comment on death states - a "death state" should only be mortal _RANDOMLY_ by pitting the wounds against say, the strength stat, or if new stats are introduced to combat to spice it up, the endurance stat. The person could survive a mortal wound, with healing - OR die, despite healing. If the person receives no healing however - they will bleed externally or internally to death - most real life battle deaths are from this cause, rather than the level of wounds - a lack of treatment, and bleeding.

If your really wanted to "grit" cantr combat up, you could add bleeding, so that ANY wounded character, slowly becomes more wounded until they get healing via extrenal or internal bleeding (provided the wound is much deeper than a stratch). Such a bleed, would have a random chance of stopping on its own. I doubt this would be popular, but heck, id playtest it with my characters. Could add drama and suspense.

(Of course healing would ideally include bandages, poltices, salves, teas and not just wine and onions - perhaps------;---: healing for a death wound, or bleeding, has to be administered by someone else, using their "healing" skill and potentially various tools or items?)

I think, in a way, the problem isnt with cantr combat isnt that it is too dangerous, its that it is stacked in favour of certain strategies. If cantr combat was as dangerous as real life combat, for both attackers, and defenders, it most likely would happen much less casually.

The problem is, cantr is written like D&D. D&D uses a swing, block mechanic, and its familiar to everyone. By contrast HARN (another rpg) for example use a system where both attacker and defender make choices such as counterstrike or block, or dodge - and hits resolve in severe losses to ability, bleeding eventually death rolls. Thats sort of my inspiration for the most realistic combat system, however how far you want to take it is a matter of taste. In the actual harnmaster rules, there are specific wounds, like, a broken ankle, or wounded thigh. That would be far too much for cantr, which is a freeform RPG, to a large degree. But conversely, its hard to freeform roleplay around the existing system, which is flat in character.

It would be nice to have: Counterstrikes, dodges, blocks, agility stat, endurance stat, death states/rolls, perhaps some proper variation in the types of weapon (defense properties to weapons - ie weapon blocks for example). Just a little something to work, depth wise, with on the mental level, so we can flesh it out, cantr style. You can add this sorta dimension into the slower played turn based type system, system 1, you got yourself gold IMO.

There is alot of talk of armour. I personally doubt armour could possibly spice combat as much as agility fighters, counterstrikes, weapon variations. In fact, armour would really add very little to the game, especially as the game already includes weapons developed to completely overcome armour, such as the rapier, and various short swords, and crossbows.

I do find it odd that people are leaning toward three - it relies _totally_ on an auto-retaliate mechanic, that was universally and catergorically rejected in the past discussions. If thats going to be the option, your going to need to somehow rethink it without autoretaliate (which inevitably leads you back, at least somewhat to the slower turn based system you see in 1)

I think what people are now not liking about one is the lack of flourish, and personal options/freedom - the turn based system is kind of structered, by nature, so you do loose some freedom by switching to it - if you dont get the options you can then get, like say, counterstrike, or whatever, that opens it back up bigger than it was before - if you dont have those types of options and flourish, your losing more than gaining freedoms. If its a overly simple turn based system without option like this, your really not getting what you should be getting out of a turn system - which is attacker and defender options and depth.

Also an unconcidered, though slightly complex option for turn systems - some turn systems used a "speed" factor (like d&d), which is decided by agility/dexterity, weight carried, the speed of the weapon and a random variable. Rather than your turn, my turn, all turns are independantly determined by such factors.

Instead of "taking turns" - one could simple assign a time period for resolving each type of attack, based on several variables. (This would result, in, say a dagger, being able to attack more often).....Im not really in favour of this type of system for cantr, I think simple turn based is good enough, but I just thought id mention this, as another angle..

Return to “Suggestions”