Inventory Overhaul: Proposal

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

SekoETC

Re: Inventory Overhaul: Proposal

Postby SekoETC » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:43 pm

The only reason there aren't object containers is because someone years back thought that dimensions should be taken into account, so you shouldn't be able to put a spear in a bag even if it could hold its weight. But I think the current system of measuring things in centimeters is too precise and complicated, and it would be better to have a more vague system like in Betrayal at Krondor where a staff is 1x4 units, swords are 2x1 units and most items are 1x1 units.
Not-so-sad panda
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:03 pm

I can see why it would be hard to fit a stick or sword into a bag, as well as many other things, but I still think it would be good to allow hiding objects in containers. Objects could be given dimensions like Seko is suggesting and then only containers with those dimensions or larger could hold those objects.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
cooldevo

Postby cooldevo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:11 pm

alf wrote:There are no pockets in almost any type AFAIK or I can choose there are in the characters description?

Some clothing does mention pockets, and some soon-to-be-clothing does have a bit of pockets. For current in-game items see hemp jacket, silk trousers, cotton bib apron, plain leather jacket, leather biker jacket, and smart denim jacket. Most of them are coats, but I have been looking at descriptions of some clothing items, and the new items to come will have some mention of them if appropriate. They will likely not say specifically where they are on the item (unless required) leaving it up to the player to describe the locations if they prefer.

alf wrote:I see clothing as same as characters descriptions: a way to make each one of our characters unique. You cannot force players to choose clothing to hide their belongings.

No one is being forced to choose anything, but their choices will have in-game results. If it was even implemented as proposed, all it would do is give some clothing more benefits to wear. If you have items to hide, would anyone choose to wear a mini-skirt and tank top? Depends what is being hidden would be the answer. If you want to hide medium or larger sized tools it'd be pretty hard to do it in that clothing. But if you put on a pair of dungarees which have a lot more room, it'd be more feasible to expect to hide it. If one has nothing to hide they wouldn't need to worry about it.

alf wrote:There are already enough limitations as there is, to kill the fun for the people who likes to dress characters to enhance their personalities.

There are no limitations on clothing as to what someone can or can't wear. Unless you are counting the requirement to actually build it (which isn't the clothings fault). A change like this wouldn't necessarily kill anything, it might actually cause people interested in doing so to have multiple outfits. Which in and of itself may couldn't hurt the clothing industry as all clothing lasts forever and has no weight. So why not have several outfits?

alf wrote:When weather is implemented then clothing will be seen different.

If weather effects impacted players I'd see that as a bigger hit to player choice of clothing than concealment value. It would more effectively force people to wear clothing they may not want to. What's the point in making up a nice silk blouse if it has to be worn it under a parka because they live in a cold environment? Or they want to wear a pair of fur pants without dying of heat in the desert?

Return to “Suggestions”