Shorten Maximum Length of Projects

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Chris

Shorten Maximum Length of Projects

Postby Chris » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:01 pm

For projects that have lengths chosen by the persons who start them, the current maximum length is 80 days. That is much too long. With machines, it makes sabotage very costly. With resources, a sleeper can take up a scarce resource slot. An 80-day project often dumps an unwieldy amount on the ground at the end. Resource gathering has the option of repeats (which are more flexible), so an 80-day project is unnecessary.

I would suggest that 20 days be the maximum project length when it is chosen by the starter. Fixed-length projects such as large construction projects would not be included.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Shorten Maximum Length of Projects

Postby Piscator » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:39 pm

I agree.
Pretty in pink.
Comy

Postby Comy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Me too.
Dishonor on you, dishonor on your cow...
wadko

Postby wadko » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:52 pm

I agree but only for not automated projects.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:00 pm

Why not automated projects?
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:14 pm

I have used 80 day projects legitimately, but they were automated. Pile on the project, leave town for a few years, come back and in a few days, it's done!
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:05 am

Doug R. wrote:I have used 80 day projects legitimately, but they were automated. Pile on the project, leave town for a few years, come back and in a few days, it's done!

Same here :)
viktor

Postby viktor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:23 am

hmmm.... i'm not entirely against changing the amount of time but... i think 20 days is way too small.
consider a business owner who cannot leave someone in change so has to leave a large project and return in 2 years before the worker(s) finish it to collect and pay, just a scenario to toss in the mix :lol:
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:41 am

viktor wrote:hmmm.... i'm not entirely against changing the amount of time but... i think 20 days is way too small.
consider a business owner who cannot leave someone in change so has to leave a large project and return in 2 years before the worker(s) finish it to collect and pay, just a scenario to toss in the mix

Well, technically it makes sense for these people to be able to run off with the resources anyway..

I'm a big fan of big projects though, and I often have big projects. It's just easier, and with multiple people it doesn't take all that long. Maybe 40 days..with a tool or two people that's 20 days.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Diego

Postby Diego » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:29 am

I have a couple characters who use them consistently. Both experts using best tools and help, sure, but I like that they're there.
Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

Return to “Suggestions”