Easier way of checking if a character's player is legal

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

The_Pagan

Easier way of checking if a character's player is legal

Postby The_Pagan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Had an idea regarding undeage players and in-game sex.

Currently (as I understand it) you have to/should ask the player's department if a character's player is 'of age' beforehand.

Even for players that don't go as far as cybering, I assume they would have different lines in the sand if they knew whether or not the player is of age.

I suggest that in the character's page at the bottom it should say either "one or more players in this location are under age" or "no players in this location are under age."

Benefit of this is (1) the people who want to cyber can see and get on with it without asking 'can my character screw so-and-so?' and just get on with it and (2) the department that deals with this doesn't have to.

Players that are underage will always see the 'one or more..." line as they are the underage player.

Perhaps it should be automatically hidden or in a pop-up menu so the player has to actitively check.

I don't know anything about programming but it doesn't seem like an impossible task type of change. Long and hard work, possibly.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Re: Easier way of checking if a character's player is legal

Postby Snickie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:31 pm

I'm not completely for this, but I'm not completely against it either.

It it were only for the sake of cybering, I'd say heck yes, why didn't we have this before.

However, my experience as an underage player myself tends to be that as soon as the players of other characters figure out that my character are played by a minor (yes, I worded that exactly how I wanted to), they stop including those characters in multiple issues and events, not just sex. I'm responsible enough to OOC the char's player if they're trying anything on my characters that might be a lead-in to sex. Unfortunately I can't speak for other underage players that might be playing the game, which is probably why this was suggested in the first place, but anyway.

For example, when I revealed myself to be fifteen, immediately my in-game experience declined severely: my known characters were allowed to be involved in far fewer things and were pushed away in other things they tried to be involved in, even though I knew as a player the gist of what was going on and knew I was mentally capable of handling it, and that character of mine was mentally capable of handling it. There was no IG reason for it either. It's extremely frustrating both for me as the player and them as the character.
(I also suspect part of this was because I also revealed that I was female, and I've noticed that even males my age who play characters whom other players know are played by that male who is my age receive more activity of that sort, especially political (though I know a lot of IG town leaders who are played by females). But that's off-topic.)

Another issue I find with this is that if underage people are serious about wanting to cyber, they'll fake their age and say they're in their twenties or thirties or something that's definitely not underage when they sign up.

In all honesty, though, it's a very good idea, and I think it should be implemented despite the negatives I mention.
The_Pagan

Postby The_Pagan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:32 pm

Perhaps it should be automatically hidden or in a pop-up menu so the player has to actitively check.

Programming wise, I assume this is more fiddly but worth it for Snickiedoo's first point. I had it done to me, done it myself and seen it done to others and I agree it's not fair to leave minors out of the more interesting storylines.

This should be purely be used for the legal implications, protecting our rears rather patronising the kiddies. They can lie in the current system so the player's department would be feeding wrong info. Nether is a fool proof system. This just makes it easier and less embarrassing than checking with the dept every time your character likes someone.

Also might actually draw some people's attention to the fact that minors play and put the reduce radio orgies and public display of whispering.
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:48 pm

How about when you sign up, as part of your info, you can check a tick box with something like "Are you okay with explicit/adult content?" Or maybe just something relating to sex.
'Cause I'm not underage, but I don't want to actively roleplay the sex, and it always seems so awkward to me to be like "LOL SO IF WE HAVE SEX CAN WE FAKE IT?"
I'm okay with the word fuck, but the verb fuck is a whole different story.
And that way, when you're playing, you can see that little symbol beside the charrie and be like "Oh, okay, so if it gets to dirty bizness, we don't get graphic." or w/e.
Basically: I want to opt-out of sex while still having characters able to be adults.
70% cute, 30% WTF
Bargon wanchi kox paa, Solo! Hoo hoo hoo hoo
http://witchesandweres.tumblr.com/
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 pm

So "One or more characters in this location is played by a minor or a person who doesn't want to see explicit content"?

In the past I suggested flagging minors and sensitive people, or alternatively flagging hardcore people, but people didn't like the idea because it would single people out, but if there was just a general disclaimer that was per location, individuals who wanted to keep their status a secret could stick to crowded locations. Although the problem of minors who want to rp explicit content arises, they would have to lie about their age to get away with it.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:17 am

I'm not going to sensor my character's words because there's a sensitive person in the area, and I suspect that some would even ramp it up just for the purpose of offending someone. The less I know about the players of the characters I'm with, the better. Regarding minors, I still think that anonymity is their best defense against, well, anything. I'm pretty much against this suggestion.

If people feel that something needs to be done, why not simply automate the age verification process? Just add a button that tells you if they're of age or not when you click it.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
The_Pagan

Postby The_Pagan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:35 am

Generally I rather not take it as far as cybering/hardcore/explicit content but I would draw the line in the sand for different places. Rather just blanket the minors ie *she kissed him* than the details I probably would add for an adult such as *touching his knee* or *biting his lip to prolong the kiss*. They aren't hard core.

It's more the legal element to it that I'm concerned about. As is, minors can still lie about their age in the current system. It's not about any massive change to the game system, just making it quicker and easier to check as one would check with the player's dept.

I agree with phoenixannwn that it can be embarrassing and feel prudish to say that you don't want to have cybersex with a stranger on the internet you only know as their character (no sarcasm, I promise) but I think just "*fade to black*" when you get to your own personal bountry is the best way to deal with adult/adult role playing relations. Even if its a hardcore player, they would get the message and pushing it would probably be reportable.

Also by flagging someone for the player is uncomfortable with sex, you're are probably robbing them from any romantic possibility. I'm not saying the only reason Cantrians hook up is because their players want to cyber but having someone marked as such is will probably put people off playing attracted to the character in fear of offending the player or getting reported

If this goes beyond my original concept to count those not interested in cybersex, it's taking away the legal reasoning behind it and makes it just 'ohhh, look at the prudes' and hippy colonies will start springing up.
(Though if it's decided to go for both, I recommend 'One or more players in this area are under-age or uncomfortable with explicit content)

Doug's clicky button idea is pretty much what I had in mind, but mine doesn't single the person out, (unless it's only two people in the area) which I think is important as it's protecting minor 'onlookers' that may be active, inactive, overhear a whisper.
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:31 pm

I have to weigh in here.

Snickie, it's not just about sex. And I would exclude a male of up to eighteen from the storyline I excluded you from. By then I guess one has a wider view and can see things differently. In two and a bit years we'll have this conversation again and see what you think.

Saying 'I'm a minor' or 'I'm not comfortable with this' after it happens is a bit too late for me. I'd rather you weren't exposed in the first place. And you will be if you keep playing the game as it is. Three times I, as a player, have gone 'Oh yuck' or 'I'm not going to roleplay this story at all'. I was in the situation before I could prevent it. One of these times the other player didn't respect my wishes. (I dealt in game and sliced him up) I don't want you or any other teenager in this position. I'm all for the notice.

The advantage of having it in the location is it's more annonomous until you are alone with someone. It's not a character tag.

I don't think you are missing out on much worth worrying about anyway. The minors I've played with are in the middle of most of the fun.

The other point is that some people are into the roleplay to the extent that they discourage ANY OOC conversations and the tag may keep them happier.
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:59 pm

I don't think asking OOCly "Are you old enough to RP sex?" will spoil the RP for the player...

I did that with my few chars that had "romantic" relations and they all performed very well... :oops:
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:39 pm

It does for me. It irritates me and makes the whole thing feel awkward, like I'm losing my virginity or something. :roll:
70% cute, 30% WTF
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Well, if I'm asking that question, it's the chars's first time, so it can be a little awkward, but just in the beggining... Like addicted said: I'm a man and I have skills! :lol: :lol: :lol: (It was an inside joke. I'm not a retarded)

I don't like it, but if people will be more confortable, some minor/assexual flag could be useful...

Addicted, your idea has one problem: Many players have the bad habit of whispering sexual "actions", in the middle of the town, hiding in plain site, so the area flag will be useless. It will lead to OOC messages anyway...
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Well those chars shouldn't be doing that anyway, maybe it will convince them not to. *nods*
70% cute, 30% WTF
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

phoenixannwn wrote:Well those chars shouldn't be doing that anyway, maybe it will convince them not to. *nods*

110% agreed. I think that is ridiculous... :evil:
joo

Postby joo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:06 am

If the server wasn't located in a country like the US, the (main) problem wouldn't exist...
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:50 pm

For me the problem still would exist. Legalities aside, there is a moral implication.
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?

Return to “Suggestions”