Branding

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

SumBum

Branding

Postby SumBum » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:41 pm

This topic sort of touches on branding, but I feel it needs a separate thread. The thread below touches more on voluntary tattoos/markings.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5350&hilit=brand&start=30

Anyway... Branding. I see this as a good alternative to killing thieves or other criminals. Most towns will not release a criminal because the char could just walk down the road and do the same thing to the next town. If a criminal could be branded, they could not so easily shrug off their past, but they could live to redeem themselves. I suggest this as a project because, frankly/sadly, most players would not cooperate with an RP'd branding and simply remove it from their description down the road (if they bother to put it there in the first place).

Branding should be feasible but not so easy that a newspawn could quickly brand a town leader, for example. I'd suggest it as a 1-2 day project, limited to one participant, with the ability for the brandee to walk away or the brander to be pulled off the project, and an event message for everyone in the area when it starts. This would give time for the brandee to wake up and move (or others to pull the brander off) if it's a mistaken branding, plus it would require the brandee to be contained in some way.

The tool would be a brand, made using steel and possibly some other advanced metals, need an anvil and smithing tools, and visible when someone is holding it. It would contain one word (ie: thief or murderer) that would be permanently added to the person's description. Just for the sake of carebearness, the brand could be removed but must be removed using the same branding tool. Perhaps the location could be chosen so that certain clothing could be used to cover it - not entirely sure about that idea, though.

You could also make a brand for militaries or clans. Granted there could still be some abuse from others wanting to sabotage a group but they'd have to work at it a little more than simply adding "a patch with the words X Army is sewn to their jacket" to a description in order to impersonate. Maybe this could be avoided by including the branding tool's number for uniqueness (similar to keys). I'm sure there could be other positive applications of it, just pointing out that it doesn't have to be used only on criminals.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
viktor

Re: Branding

Postby viktor » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:01 pm

hmmm we could also maybe use it on non living things, so a company can put a brand name on it's product, i mean a way that doesn't get erased/changed in 2 days (sign), and not just vehicles but tools too, almost like stamping a coin to it.... :shock:
this could leade to clan emblems on shields etc...
lulkoek

Postby lulkoek » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:16 pm

And animals? :D
Marian

Postby Marian » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:46 pm

I wouldn't have a problem with having this added, I just don't see it as really being necessary. For one thing, I would thing that any thief willing to actually roleplay a situation like that would be unlikely to just strip it out of their description in the next town like you suggested, and if they're not willing to roleplay there's not much point, they're unlikely to ever be cooperative enough to be released anyway.

...the idea of being able to 'brand' items would actually be a lot more exciting to me, to be honest.

Return to “Suggestions”