Castles

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Yaddy1

Castles

Postby Yaddy1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:13 am

You know what Cantr needs? An obscenely large and expensive building so that when you walk into a town and look at the list of building and vehicles you see this one and say, "Wow! This must be a huge town!" In short, Cantr needs a building so large and impressive that building one will guarantee fame and power.

In terms of utilitarian value, castles would of course be able to contain massive amounts of resources, machines and people. However seeing as a mud hut does well enough for both it may need a bit more. Perhaps a new type of lock called a portcullis would only be able to be constructed inside castles. This lock would be harder to break(ie: take longer, have a greater chance of failure.

Now past this I'm only dreaming but maybe once someone's broken through the portcullis, they enter a room between outside and the castle itself. While in this room they have to break down a regular old lock on a regular old door. However those inside the castles can dump oil on the members of that room if they have built a special machine and deal damage to those inside. Sieges would be ever so much fun :D
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Castles

Postby Piscator » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:29 am

Yaddy1 wrote:You know what Cantr needs? An obscenely large and expensive building so that when you walk into a town and look at the list of building and vehicles you see this one and say, "Wow! This must be a huge town!" In short, Cantr needs a building so large and impressive that building one will guarantee fame and power.

This kind of thing doesn't work out very well in practice. With the current economic system, building something however expensive is just a question of time. Harbors and lighthouses were also supposed to be for wealthy towns only and now they're sprouting everywhere along the coast. The first town to complete a castle might become famous for a short period of time, but a RL year after that, half of the towns will have one.

Unless a huge and impressive building costs maintenance, it doesn't prove anything.
Pretty in pink.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:21 am

Build a brick building and upload a drawing of a castle, put it in a note and call it an artistic rendering of " Blahbady Castle" by whoever it is that draws in the area....
My old banner ;)
Gran

Postby Gran » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:41 am

Piscator wrote:This kind of thing doesn't work out very well in practice. With the current economic system, building something however expensive is just a question of time. Harbors and lighthouses were also supposed to be for wealthy towns only and now they're sprouting everywhere along the coast. The first town to complete a castle might become famous for a short period of time, but a RL year after that, half of the towns will have one.

Unless a huge and impressive building costs maintenance, it doesn't prove anything.

Add a way to bring these things down. It's a big bore not having to maintain things, there's no thrill at all. One day someone simply piles up a bunch o' rocks, calls it a castle and deal made - for all eternity. And you can't destroy things that you don't like either, so if someone builds an eyesore shack in your wonder of marble then you're stuck with that thing buggin' you like an outdated entry in Britannica.
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
Cheshierekat

Postby Cheshierekat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:12 am

I don't know if anyone has suggested it...but another use for sand would be mixing it with mud to make bricks? Or...with water to make a more solid sand for building with (sand castles to live in? haha)
When people tell me that great minds think alike, all I can do is look at them and think "oh you dirty, dirty bastard"
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:48 pm

There are bricks made of mud which can be made using sand and water :)

http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Brick
http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Mud
Cheshierekat

Postby Cheshierekat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:51 pm

See what happens when I don't take the time to read through everything and haven't been on in years? Thanks Alf!
When people tell me that great minds think alike, all I can do is look at them and think "oh you dirty, dirty bastard"

Return to “Suggestions”