Repeaters for ships

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Spider

Repeaters for ships

Postby Spider » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:23 am

Title says it all, I wanted to build a repeater in a ship and found out I couldn't. Really interested in communicating with another island. Repeaters seem really hard to make so I don't know if a whole other type should be made but maybe just allow these to be made on a ship...?
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Re: Repeaters for ships

Postby Joshuamonkey » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:58 am

I'd like this ability also. I worry that it creates potential for a Cantr wide communication network, but that would take an insane amount of effort, and that doesn't seem to be a problem even with large populated islands.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:34 am

The people that would steal the ships with the repeaters just to cause havoc would balance the benefit of a massive communications network. And also, don't forget that once we make everything decay, you'd have to maintain all those ships and repeaters.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:01 am

I mean, what's so bad about that? It's not like it could reliably happen, just curious.
70% cute, 30% WTF
Bargon wanchi kox paa, Solo! Hoo hoo hoo hoo
http://witchesandweres.tumblr.com/
viktor

Postby viktor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:44 am

very few places could feasably bridge the radio gap anyways, i mean it would have to be in the hold or cabin of a ship, expensive to make and, a tempting grab for any passer by, be it a salvager, a pirate or naval operations to cut communications in a large scale war.
the distance of a repeater would make even the smaller gaps between islands require a few ships properly spread for the job.

i cannot imagine anyone linking up seatown to kishnakotis or something insane like that, not even possible to maintain.

that aside... i do not recall seeing a repeater... does it repeat all frequencies directed to it or does one repeater service one frequency?, could be real difficult and restrict it to one repeater per ship... and maybe it should be on the deck but still hasta be on a ship big enough for holds and cabins.

and ya,, i may have a char or 2 eccentric enough to do such a thing. :P
cooldevo

Postby cooldevo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:38 pm

From my experience it's one frequency per repeater, set and changed just like a receiver.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:24 pm

That's also what the wiki says.

http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Radio
Pretty in pink.
viktor

Postby viktor » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:53 am

ah, i checked before and when i read it wasn't sure if the statement applied to the repeaters as well as it seemed to be written only under the transmitter heading and was not mentioned in the repeater section.

Return to “Suggestions”