Detainment in Vehicles

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Sillysavage

Detainment in Vehicles

Postby Sillysavage » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:19 pm

I’d like to see vehicles, perhaps van’s, that have compartments or (rooms) if you will, with their own doors.

The reasoning behind this is so a prisoner can be transported to another location (town), but won’t be able to control the vehicle that they are in. As ships have multiple rooms (locations), why not larger vehicles?

As it is now, a criminal’s only option is to accept whatever punishment the local town constabulary offers when that character has been detained in one of their buildings. Or normally that is the case. I think it would open up a whole new way of role playing if the criminal where to ask that they could be transported to another location for a fair trial. (If the criminal thinks they won’t get one in the town that they are in. And if the local law enforcement, if any, agrees to the request of the offender.) Or if the local law enforcement decides that no one has enough authority to make a judgment call for the severity of a crime, a captured criminal has been accused of. And that the only option is to transport said criminal to another location, (town) where there is a better system of laws or judges that can make a ruling on whatever the crime committed was, and to offer a better form of punishment to the offender.

New spawns love to blow through unlocked buildings to grab whatever they can and head out of town only to be hacked to bits on the road. And why they are hacked to bits? Because the only options are to either follow them to the next location and try to detain them there or to threaten them to return to the scene of the crime that they committed, while being pursued. But not only new spawns, other characters that have been around for awhile go astray and go on a killing/looting/mad rampage. Don’t want this post to be construed as just a way to pick on new spawns. Anyway… :roll:

Normally these characters face immediate execution on the road simply because there is no way to transport them back to the crime location. Well, there is obviously, but not many people that own vehicles are willing to take a chance on a criminal being able to control a vehicle that they are being detained in. Due to the vehicle owner having ‘stuff’ in their vehicles and don’t want it to be ‘used’. As it is now, that ‘stuff’ is probably petrol. And who wants to carry petrol around in their pockets?! Or the owner may have to ‘fall asleep’ for a period of time, and might wind up in another location entirely because the prisoner/criminal wasn’t ‘asleep’, and was able to change direction of said vehicle, that they were detained in. (It has happened before…*winks*)

Is or has there been a topic on this before? If so please direct me to it as I’d like to read what others have requested/offered. If not, I’d still like to read someone else’s opinion on the matter. Thank you.
If you can learn to read and write...you can educate yourself.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Detainment in Vehicles

Postby Piscator » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:41 pm

I have to check this when the game is up again, but I think you should be able to build a cage in a vehicle. And if not, I see no reason why you shouldn't.
Pretty in pink.
Sillysavage

Postby Sillysavage » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:57 pm

Piscator wrote:I have to check this when the game is up again, but I think you should be able to build a cage in a vehicle. And if not, I see no reason why you shouldn't.

A cage! Yes...I hadn't thought of that. A cage would be a great way not only to detain a criminal/prisoner, but you could still talk with them while driving. That is if the driver wanted to...
Thanks!
If you can learn to read and write...you can educate yourself.
Surly

Postby Surly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:52 pm

This is similar to the thinking behind my suggestion that only people with the correct key could control the vehicle.

An alternative would be separating large vehicles into two, a driving seat and the other part, with separate locks (one key) for both compartments.

This would also allow for the creation of taxis, which I'm in favour of.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Marian

Postby Marian » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:26 pm

Glad Surly bumped this, it's an interesting idea that didn't get much discussion, and also, now that the subject of cages has come up I want to mention that they could be just as useful in a town as in a vehicle. I'm sure I remember similar suggestions coming up before, but I've always wished there was a reliable way to detain prisoners other than completely isolating them inside. You could interact with them more, or have public trials, or all sorts of things. (I'm thinking ideally a cage shouldn't be anywhere as tamperproof as a locked door though, it'd be nice if there was at least a chance to break out with smaller tools like hammers, axes, files, etc.)

As far as how it would be programmed I'm thinking it could basically be just a vehicle that doesn't move? With room for at least two people so a guard or whoever could get in to drag them out. Iron would be the obvious material, but a wooden version would be awesome too, especially for developing or post-apocalyptic towns.
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:14 pm

I've always wanted to see something like this, be it a cage in general (images of the drunken bandit locked up in the sheriffs office come to mind), or the drivers seat/compartment in a vehicle, and at best, both. I like it all.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:15 am

Piscator wrote:I have to check this when the game is up again, but I think you should be able to build a cage in a vehicle. And if not, I see no reason why you shouldn't.

Bump. I want to build a paddywagon.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:30 am

It was and is indeed not possible to build a cage in vehicles. I'm afraid the issue is also a little more complicated than I originally thought though. We probably don't want cages built on bikes and skateboards and as far as I'm aware there's no way to exempt certain location types from the list of possible build locations.

What we could do though is create the equivalent of a ship cabin for cars ("car compartment" or something like that), which could of course be an open structure like a cage.

Before we do that, we should let ProgD check if this would be compatible with our current travelling and fuel usage code though. In sailing, the weight of sublocation certainly factors in when it comes to the calculation of speed, but that doesn't need to be the same for cars. After all this has never been an issue so far.
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:33 pm

Piscator wrote:We probably don't want cages built on bikes and skateboards and as far as I'm aware there's no way to exempt certain location types from the list of possible build locations.

Herb gardens are limited by location type, or is terrain different than location type?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:18 pm

What I meant by "location types" in this case is the type of object another object can be build in (ship cabins can be built on galleons, but not on darters). The problem here is that we can't just say "not on darters", but instead have to give a list of objects where building is possible. This is not a real problem by itself (just terribly bothersome), but gets complicated by the fact that we (probably) can't just add "outside" to that list ("outside" is not another object). We would require a different type of build restriction to leave "outside" a viable option, but, sadly, this is incompatible with the above method. If we were to define both "outside" and "is object:X,Y,Z,..." as build conditions, both of them would have to be met at the same time, which would be impossible.
For pretty much the same reasons it is also necessary to have two separate herb gardens.
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:09 pm

You almost have the same effect with docked ships. What if a cage was "docked" to the vehicle, with no undock option?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:16 pm

That's how it would work anyway. Since a cage would be immobile though, there would still be the need to build it in its final location, which means that we would have to set up the build conditions accordingly.

But, as I mentioned, we could easily create a cage/compartment for use in vehicles only.
Pretty in pink.
FrankieLeonie

Postby FrankieLeonie » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:07 pm

Any update on this? I just hate giving people rides because you can't trust them not to pick something up, or use the radio or anything like that.

Return to “Suggestions”