"Auto-flee", "Automove"

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Drael

"Auto-flee", "Automove"

Postby Drael » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:37 am

Two potential instant responses to any damage higher than 25% from cantarian humanoids, 50% or 75%

Move could be simply moving into a vehicle, or building, choosen by the setting, pre determined but editable for any use of it.

Flee would involve, starting out down a pre-set road or hi-way, if its foot or a land vehicle, or undocking in a direction, if its a boat.

Use would be optional of course. A script cant think strategically for all situations...

Combined with a slower attack system, a reduced dragging system, combat might actually resolve much more realistically with both sided inflifting casualities, and there being complications, and survivors. Instead of minute long insta-masacres.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Re: "Auto-flee", "Automove"

Postby Piscator » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:19 am

The same applies what I said in the other thread. Character automation would be one way to solve the current problems with the combat system, but I doubt it would be the best. It would shift the game experience from the ego more towards a third-person perspective. It would also be bad for roleplay if chars acted on their own and you had to "explain" their behaviour later.

Again, I would prefer to delay combat in a manner that would allow you to decide for yourself how to respond to an attack (in a reasonable time of course).
Pretty in pink.
Gran

Postby Gran » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:28 am

Piscator wrote:The same applies what I said in the other thread. Character automation would be one way to solve the current problems with the combat system, but I doubt it would be the best. It would shift the game experience from the ego more towards a third-person perspective. It would also be bad for roleplay if chars acted on their own and you had to "explain" their behaviour later.

Well, if such automation of combat is to be implemented, the option to "train" could be introduced aswell. Just like military drills and simulations, "training" would set a procedure to be taken automatically given certain general conditions, increasing the likelihood that the desired response will be taken.

This, of course, wouldn't change the very detached take on combat inherent to such system. But it actually gives you some freedom to prepare yourself.
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
masterekat

Postby masterekat » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:16 pm

I'm not a big fan of this idea either. I understand the point is to keep players from losing characters in an instant, but it almost encourages players to not log in as often, because their characters would be safer than they are now. To me, being good at combat means being good shields, good weapons, having allies in other characters, and being aware of your surroundings.

Piscator wrote: Again, I would prefer to delay combat in a manner that would allow you to decide for yourself how to respond to an attack (in a reasonable time of course).

I would prefer this idea also, if something has to change.

Return to “Suggestions”