New option for hunting and eating hunted animals.

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

JackCoogan

New option for hunting and eating hunted animals.

Postby JackCoogan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Im not sure if this has been said before but my research came up dry.

I dont like how when you kill an animal its only food gotten is meat. But chicken is not meat. So I came up with this:

Instead of an animal exploding into its bits in your inventory when you kill it, have it become a dead body from which you take what you need. Small animals like birds can be picked up. Larger animals like cows can be dragged (or taken apart). The body would automatically disappear when all is taken from it OR it can be buried instantly (not in 2 hours) with the remaining parts gone with it, which would help the unnecessary amount of bones around if you only wanted meat.

More the point now:

The animal itself can be cooked whole. For example. You pick up a dead chicken as an item (or strictly a one-way container, think of mixing a plate with a dead body) , you put it on a spit or in an oven. The outcome would not be an edible item but 500 grams of 'Cooked Chicken'. The dung, if any must be removed before cooking and the bones can be removed before cooking too (because remember the animal is acting as a container and only vanishes when 100% empty, so it would be like cooking fillets) Or they would be added to your inventory after cooking. Its up to you, you get the same meat in the end. This may be more or less nourish able then Cooked Meat. Different animals would give different outcomes. And each type of meat (chicken, boar, cow) would have its own nourishing value.

Larger animals would be dragged to the cooking project and you know the rest. This would add to options of food and could make certain areas more valuable for their animals, attracting certain peolpe.

There may be certain animals you cant eat but I dont know them off the top of my head.

Please support this and see if you can find any editable flaws.
EchoMan

Re: New option for hunting and eating hunted animals.

Postby EchoMan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:40 am

I like the first partof your idea, but would like the animals to leave a carcass. This carcass would work as a container, filled with the animal parts from the beginning, but if you take something out you can stuff it with other things. It should increase the chance of attracting disease and it should indeed take two hours to bury. Everything still within the carcass disappears when the carcass is buried.

The second part of your idea I don't support. We have an abundance of cooking methods and different dishes already.
Keegan Ingrassia

Postby Keegan Ingrassia » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:44 am

I could see a bit of sabatoge, with the option to stuff things back inside, then make them disappear with a burial project. Keys, weapons, or at least valuable resources. On the other hand, it would give a way to get rid of 'excess' hunting resources.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.

Bis vivit qui bene.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:08 am

Well, just like you can't put things on corpses, carcasses could be limited not to allow people to put stuff inside, although it would be kinda neat if you could, they should just be retrievable until they deteriorate.
Not-so-sad panda
JackCoogan

Postby JackCoogan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:14 am

The second part of your idea I don't support. We have an abundance of cooking methods and different dishes already.[/quote]

The idea is to remove projects related to meat and replace them with these new ones.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:32 am

I hope that the game will be able to remember which animal a meat comes from (which ingredients a soup is made of, what kind of hilt a sword has etc.) some day, but I doubt it's worth the effort to define different nourishing properties for meat from all of the about 150 animals in the game.

Cooking whole animals should be not extremely complicated if they're turned into containers, but as it's rather cosmetical you'll probably won't find a programmer for this.
Pretty in pink.
Crosshair

Postby Crosshair » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:09 am

It'd be nice if I could shelter in the belly of my tauntaun for warmth.

I like the first part of the idea. The second is good but I doubt it would go far.
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/tvkg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/tvkg.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://dragcave.net/view/RgKP][img]http://dragcave.net/image/RgKP.gif[/img][/url]
nova hero

Postby nova hero » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:12 pm

perhaps a new skill of butcher? the better you are the quicker the job and the more meat you get from the bones?
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:12 pm

There is really no need for a new skill. Hunting can cover it - it's a part of the job.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka

Return to “Suggestions”