Breaking ship locks - fair warning.

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Keegan Ingrassia

Re: Breaking ship locks - fair warning.

Postby Keegan Ingrassia » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:10 am

In real life you aren't exactly able to "lock" the deck of a ship, either, unless its all caged in, or something.

In real life, if you're using a crowbar, its going to make some noise.

So, why not make a lockpick that reduces the chance of being heard, based on a "lockpick" skill, and give it a fast rot? To keep the crowbar as tool of choice, make the lockpick a one-person, day and a half project. To add to the danger of using a lockpick, it would simply unlock the lock, not destroy it like a crowbar does.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.

Bis vivit qui bene.
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:15 am

Cogliostro wrote:Nobody was asking your opinion about pirates. We're discussing an audible warning, not any major advantage for somebody on either side!

Yeah they did, you did...

Cogliostro wrote:That reminds me of that time when I asked for removing the unfair mechanic that causes people to be able to dock the ships that kidnap them right back, and got the same thing: life shouldn't be fair, it should protect goodie two shoes characters at all times and screw over pirate ship owners.

If you're inside a thick wooden cabin, at sea with the sound of the waves, having sex - then you wouldn't hear a crowbar hit a lock = No warning. Most people aren't really paranoid enough to consider this a problem and if you are one of the selcted few who do, then just dont have sex while being chased. Simples :D
Miri

Postby Miri » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:08 pm

Hmm... somehow I just can't see the point.

a) there's nobody but a couple on the ship - if they want to keep an eye on the lock, they can just stay onboard. Who're they hiding from? Seagulls?

b) there're more people on the ship - someone else stays onboard, keeping eye on the lock, they can go inside.

Where's the problem?
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:04 pm

As mentioned, two people having sex in a cabin can't just walk out of the cabin to check.
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
Miri

Postby Miri » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:36 pm

Arenti wrote:As mentioned, two people having sex in a cabin can't just walk out of the cabin to check.

So? Should they?
As I've written - if they're alone on the ship, they either do it outside or in a cabin - their choice. If there's someone else that would make being in a cabin a must, they can have this person watching the lock for them. Ergo no need for the in-cabin warning.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Can't have a bed on the deck, though. I managed to build one in a cabin although it takes damn lot of space. It would be cool if it was possible to build some sort of a pavilion on board that would allow seeing approaching vessels but would allow furniture to be built inside.
Not-so-sad panda
Miri

Postby Miri » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:16 pm

Should the pavilon be an open-building then?
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:35 pm

This has just happened recently in the game: I docked to a big ship and there was nobody on it. Assuming everyone is dead, I start breaking the lock. about 6 hours or so later I happened to have time to check on Cantr again, and sure enough, now there was some guy on the ship. The guy was outside on his deck, and totally oblivious that I was even there, breaking his lock.

How's that in any way reasonable, and why, really, are players required to do those insane hoopjumps with constant checking of their ship deck?

That's one simple reason why an audible signal would be convenient for everybody, and fit quite realistically with the rest of the mechanics.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:03 pm

Cogliostro wrote:This has just happened recently in the game: I docked to a big ship and there was nobody on it. Assuming everyone is dead, I start breaking the lock. about 6 hours or so later I happened to have time to check on Cantr again, and sure enough, now there was some guy on the ship. The guy was outside on his deck, and totally oblivious that I was even there, breaking his lock.

How's that in any way reasonable, and why, really, are players required to do those insane hoopjumps with constant checking of their ship deck?

That's one simple reason why an audible signal would be convenient for everybody, and fit quite realistically with the rest of the mechanics.

Finally a reasonable argument in favor of this suggestion.

In this case, I'd advocate for making docked characters (and characters inside vehicles on land) visible upon exiting a cabin/building. I think this is very reasonable and logical, applies more broadly, and adequately addresses your particular example.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:45 am

Point still stands - the players shouldn't be required to babysit their character and their ship's lock, with all that furious clicking back and forth that you affectionately call "checking your ship's lock". Remember, we are not talking about making ship locks impossible to break. We are talking about normal notification about lockbreaking attempts that the game really owes to the characters aboard.

Ships should have crews for a reason. One of which is lookout duty. It's just as simple as that. Picking a lock on a front door of a building shouldn't really echo throughout the other rooms. I really doesn't need to echo into ship cabins. If you mean to suggest that things should be made easier for one man crews that can't have anyone on the lookout, then you're suggestion isn't about fairness at all. It's more about laziness, really.
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:42 am

DylPickle wrote: If you mean to suggest that things should be made easier for one man crews that can't have anyone on the lookout, then you're suggestion isn't about fairness at all. It's more about laziness, really.

Unfortuantely thats what a lot of suggestions are trying to do recently. Trying to make things easier for players who don't look about and see whats happening around their characters. Makes it seem like the peoples playing ability has really gone down hill lately. Shame really. What should happen is these players cut down the number of characters they play so they can look after the rest properly, not implentent 'time/click saving' things that helps them briefly skim over all their charcters.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:50 am

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard said by an obv. smart man, CrashBlzz.

So, by you, the good players are the ones who "clickfest with the best", and the rest of their characters should probably be culled because they are useless ballast.

What about other characters who depend on or even love those you wanna cull just to make more time for you to run in and out of cargohold every cantr hour, on the clock?
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:15 am

Cogliostro wrote:That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard said by an obv. smart man, CrashBlzz.

So, by you, the good players are the ones who "clickfest with the best", and the rest of their characters should probably be culled because they are useless ballast.

What about other characters who depend on or even love those you wanna cull just to make more time for you to run in and out of cargohold every cantr hour, on the clock?

Thats not what I said. What I'm saying if is peolpe have so many characters that they can't look after them and pay enough attention to them, then they have too many and should cut back. Simply suggesting that they game flashes up with pretty lights and tells you step by step everything thats going on, (like a lot of recent suggestions want in one form or another) just because you don't have time or can't be bothered to check, is not the way to fix this problem.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:33 am

It's exactly the way to solve things, because the player's time should really always be everyone's top precious commodity. Which we want to save and channel into exciting gameplay, not paranoid-obsessive clickfesting.

IMHO, 'course.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:29 pm

I've had some interesting/tense/funny situations occur when my chars have tried to break into an "empty" boat. It's a risk you take when you break into anything, building or boat.

I still don't agree with this idea since you CAN hear a crowbar against the door if you're in the same room or on the other side. If a compromise must be made, I would agree on a random chance (50%) that it can be heard in ONE room within the area being broken into and that the sound cannot resonate past a 'depth' of one room.

Most of my chars who own vehicles or buildings habitually check to make sure no one is breaking into them.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown

Return to “Suggestions”