Breaking ship locks - fair warning.

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Cogliostro

Breaking ship locks - fair warning.

Postby Cogliostro » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:26 pm

Have any attempt to break the main ship lock generate an event inside every hold or cabin on the ship:

"You hear loud banging coming from outside.*
Doug R.

Re: Breaking ship locks - fair warning.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:20 am

Why?
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:24 am

I'm guessing because if someone goes in a cabin to have sex for a long time and some friendly bypasser decides to start breaking in just to see if anyone died on board, you'd want to be able to go out there and tell them there's no need to before they actually finish the project. Since if you're having sex, that's a good reason not to go out and check each day because it would break the illusion of it taking less than a day. Or, he could just be working on projects but then he doesn't have an excuse not to go out.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:28 am

Then I want it for buildings too.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:05 am

If you're worried about your ship and its locks, you'll check. Same with buildings. It doesn't make sense to me to have a "sound" resonate through several rooms to get to wherever you might be within some labyrinth.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:51 am

Well, maybe not several rooms but I don't think one would be out of question... Or maybe if there was only a 50% chance of hearing it, then you'd have to check if you wanted to be 100% sure but sometimes you'd get lucky and hear it on the inside.
Not-so-sad panda
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:40 am

Everything is about the sex with you people. Isn't it so?

Come on, it's just useful and fair to hear someone's breaking into your ship or building if they are, and you're inside.
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:40 pm

Make sense to me. I like it.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:11 pm

I don't like it. With rudder locks and whatever else people are on about introducing ships will have way too much security as it is.
Money

Postby Money » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:04 am

That depends on how you look at it. If you are an attacker who used to dealing with a lot less security then of course it would be to much, but if you are a defender you could look at it as not enough security. To me it seems in line with the "realistic" aspect of Cantr. If someone was breaking a lock from the outside, one could hear it in the next room of course. Though it resonating through a labyrinth of rooms is up for debate.
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:25 pm

Life on a ship shouldn't be fair. It's challenging, but the payoff is quite powerful enough.
You can leave a cabin to check on your ship lock without the risk of being quickly dragged away. Really, that should be good enough.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Huh??? Life on ships shouldn't be fair?

That reminds me of that time when I asked for removing the unfair mechanic that causes people to be able to dock the ships that kidnap them right back, and got the same thing: life shouldn't be fair, it should protect goodie two shoes characters at all times and screw over pirate ship owners.

I sure would like to know the mysterious and twisted logic behind that assumption.\

Point still stands - the players shouldn't be required to babysit their character and their ship's lock, with all that furious clicking back and forth that you affectionately call "checking your ship's lock". Remember, we are not talking about making ship locks impossible to break. We are talking about normal notification about lockbreaking attempts that the game really owes to the characters aboard.
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:17 am

I just tried this. It took me 5 clicks over a total over 6 seconds. (I could easily get this time down but I'm busy downloading a lot of stuff at the moment so cantr is slow)

Not exactly 'furious' clicking...

And life on ships doesn't protect goodie two shoes, quite the opposite. Well equipt pirates who know what they're doing get a lot of advantages by being on ships, far too many if you ask me.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:37 am

Nobody was asking your opinion about pirates. We're discussing an audible warning, not any major advantage for somebody on either side!

People, you have an incredible amount of prejudiced resistance against the most reasonable and self-evident things, always under the same fear-mongering banner:

"IT COULD HELP THE PIRATES WHO MUSTN'T BE HELPED"

Think of this scenario. I'm docked to your raker. None of us are pirates or anything like that. You're inside your cabinhold playing cantrsex (I guess that's all that's really behind all this mythical "real roleplaying" I hear much about). Though you just came out and checked your lock (like a complete paranoid idiot who has to pop out every now and then for no reason but that), it so happens that I docked a few minutes after you checked, and started breaking in - thinking it's a ghost ship full of treasure for me.

Don't you and your wife deserve a little warning maybe, that this is now happening?
By the time you come out to check up again, I might be done destroying your lock and looting the ship.
Ryaga

Postby Ryaga » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:04 am

Cogliostro made this thread to try to complain about some one sidedness he perceives. What a rebel. :roll:

But on the real side of things, I strongly disagree with this. You should have to be outside to guard yourself. In real life if you're all below deck why should you have any idea if someone is breaking the lock? There's water sloshing against the side of the boat and wind, there'd be too much ambient noise.

Return to “Suggestions”