Ship Anchors

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Mr. Bones

Ship Anchors

Postby Mr. Bones » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:33 am

I came up with this suggestion thinking of the boat security problems. Situations were people will leave a larger ship out in sea and dock to a town with a sloop or darter to take care of whatever buisness they have there. If a person manages to dock then break the main lock, the boat is theirs. And in the case of boats docked to towns occasionally people may forget to lock the boat, or have it open for short periods to drag resources or so passengers can move on and off freely. Then there is that troublesome incident of crewmen stealing boats. My suggestion is this: allow for an anchor to be built on the boat could be in the same form as a machine or door, that when activated and the anchor dropped the boat cannot move. It could be lockable so that access is only granted to the key holder. This would at least force a thief to not only gain access to the boat but to break the lock on the anchor as well before they can steal the boat.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Ship Anchors

Postby Piscator » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:45 am

That's basically the same as a rudder lock, which would take care of this situation and also prevent an unautorized person from changing course.
Pretty in pink.
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:11 am

Yeah well the point is extra security, so however it could be implemented, rudder locks or and anchor, it does'nt matter to me. As long as grants that added security, it's all good. I found also in the search engine that something similar had already been suggested but I think I don't think the staff ever accepted it or rejected it.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:36 am

It seems there is a need to repeat this, since we had to remove a whole bunch of posts from this thread:

Doug R. wrote:Recent moderation of the suggestions forum has led to allegations that moderators are singling out certain players and letting others get away with spam. Starting now, the suggestions forum will be tightly moderated. All off-topic or frivolous posts will be removed, regardless of who posts them (staff included).

To contribute to a discussion in the suggestions forum, your post must pertain to the topic being discussed, and must contribute to advancing the topic in some manner. If we are forced to moderate too many of your posts, we will simply remove your post privileges to the suggestions forum.
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:29 pm

I am mixed about this.

Yes, as a sailor (of a few ships actually) I would like to see that added security.

On the other hand however, that lack of security does add to the game, knowing who to trust, whether or not your boat is safe, if leaving it somewhere is a good idea...all these things add to the RP I think.

Now, as for the actual suggestion, I don't think this should be considered a lock. Instead, what would you think of having it be made a project? For example, lowering the anchor could take a certain amount of time (tic(s)) and raising it can do the same (but take longer of course, maybe a full day).

Now, with this proposed change to original suggestion, I am wondering if it would be better to have it be an 'automatic' project, or make it a manual one. The automatic version would allow for things to be pretty much as they are now, except it would keep the ship stationary for one day after the lock has broken (assuming the thief engages the project of course). The manual option would change things drastically as it would take time from doing other things, such as attempting to break another lock (if the boat has storage rooms/other boats).
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Lowering - automatic (the anchor falls with gravity)
Raising - manual
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:49 pm

Yes what Doug says makes sense. Unless you have some kind of machine attached to the anchor to raise it on it's on. But considering the primitive nature of Cantr, having a crank system for raising it would be likely (not that I'm suggesting a crank should be added, but it's just that Cantrians if they had an anchor it would likely be manual as such). But yeah something like that would ok I would think.
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:48 pm

I considder this to be a silly suggestion thats attepmting to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

There is no reason why ships should have more security than other things that lock beit a land vehcile or building.

However, I'll agree on the condcition its an added extra that costs 8,000g of steel to make (I know thats a lot but theres the anchor and then the chain attaching it to the ship...)
YugoStrikesBack

Postby YugoStrikesBack » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:56 pm

Doug R. wrote:Lowering - automatic (the anchor falls with gravity)
Raising - manual

What if you kidnap someone and they just continue to drop the anchor? Or if someone is just a douchebag and decides to drop anchor non stop? I mean if someone stops a boat, you can just readjust your course, but if you have to manually raise anchor, that could complicate things. And don't think this is unlikely, if I thought of it, it means I'll do it.
I did it cuz I hate you.
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:32 pm

Piscator wrote:That's basically the same as a rudder lock, which would take care of this situation and also prevent an unautorized person from changing course.

Would this take too long to implement if accepted? I like this better. :)
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:06 pm

Well I think that most captives are kept inside a hold or cabin anyway. Also it may be possible to put the anchor itself into a hold to protect it.
Crosshair

Postby Crosshair » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:45 pm

I think this is a good idea, and actually, a different form of security for these boats is a good idea, seeing as they do not move in the same way as land vehicles.

A rudder lock would be the best plan, something which can be broken. It would also be instantaneous, locking and unlocking or simply possessing the key, rather than needing a tick like an anchor might.
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/tvkg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/tvkg.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://dragcave.net/view/RgKP][img]http://dragcave.net/image/RgKP.gif[/img][/url]
toon

Postby toon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:33 am

I'm guessing there was never a decision on this? I'd love to have a way to secure a ship.

Return to “Suggestions”