Putting a sign at the exit of a room

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

SekoETC

Putting a sign at the exit of a room

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:11 pm

I'm not sure how difficult this would be to implement programming-wise but I think it would be a useful way to get visibility for important messages such as "no crowbars allowed beyond this point" or "did you read the laws before entering?"
Not-so-sad panda
YugoStrikesBack

Re: Putting a sign at the exit of a room

Postby YugoStrikesBack » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:11 pm

This would work perfectly with my strip clubs plans (No alcohol permitted beyond this point, all strippers must have their tops on past this point)
I did it cuz I hate you.
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:27 pm

Couldn't you just re-name the room to incorporate your message?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:03 am

I think it would look kinda messy to have a message in the primary name...
Not-so-sad panda
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:06 am

You can't have it as a secondary name? You can have a few names with buildings and vehicles, you can't with rooms?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:50 am

Yeah, but secondary names are only visible when entering, not exiting.
Not-so-sad panda
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:07 am

Ah, I see what you mean now.

I can't see it being needed too much though. You have to enter to be able to exit so whatever you want to say can be done on the way in, no?
YugoStrikesBack

Postby YugoStrikesBack » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:15 am

CrashBlizz wrote:Ah, I see what you mean now.

I can't see it being needed too much though. You have to enter to be able to exit so whatever you want to say can be done on the way in, no?

You obviously don't have dreams of owning a strip club and being able to wear sunglasses.
I did it cuz I hate you.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:45 am

1) If it's a coaster harbor then you enter from the seaside and only see the main sign.
2) If you stay inside a long time then you might forget things. "Oh, sorry, I just decided to take a walk with this sledgehammer, I totally wasn't going to steal it."
Not-so-sad panda
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:53 pm

I think that the most sensible solution for this is to have a list of exits from the location, so exit wouldn't be different from the rooms. Then it would be possible to get lost inside of a labirynth :) . The secondary name could be added inside - and then it's visible inside, and another outside, to be visible only there.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:16 pm

It would be cool if buildings could have a different "name" on the inside and outside, and if mechanical drunkenness ever gets implemented, it could scramble the exits so it would be easier to get lost in a labyrinth. It would be even cooler if you could specify direction (north, east, south, west and maybe the directions in between) for on which side of the room each exit is. There wouldn't need to be logical limits to how many exits you can have on one side, because for example in FTO we built a round mine tunnel once and it went onto a second round and still didn't connect with the first room, so you could just imagine it spiraling either up or down. It doesn't make much sense anyway that if you're locked in a room and someone changes the sign on the outside, you can see the change on the inside even though you couldn't get out. So signs on the inside and outside should be separate.

And I could just think of another use for signs at the exit. It could say "If you're planning to die inside, leave the door unlocked so we don't have to break it". If the owner of the house saw it each day they go out, it would sink into their brain so that if they decided to quit the game one day, they'd be more likely to unlock the door and not be a nuisance to others. It's kinda like the stickers the fire department mailed to people, they say "if there's smoke in the stairwell, close the door and call (the equivalent of 911)".
Not-so-sad panda
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:59 pm

Nice :)

So this implementation basically requires to separate exit name and building name.

Another idea: When there is an optional exit name, we could make all building names unknown (dynamic), or reserve that space for building discription.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:42 pm

I would appreciate it if as a result of this suggestion, all ways out of a room were listed on the same page. It's not very intuitive that the way to the outside is listed on the location page, while the ways deeper into the building can be found on the vehicles & buildings page.
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:46 pm

That's exactly what Rusalka said, or that's how I interpreted it.

Rusalka wrote:I think that the most sensible solution for this is to have a list of exits from the location, so exit wouldn't be different from the rooms.
Not-so-sad panda
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:09 pm

Yes! That is what I'm thinking about.

Return to “Suggestions”