Hiding Your Identity

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Chatette

Postby Chatette » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:00 pm

Nalaris wrote:And by the way, in your first post, it's "think", not "mind". To think is to use the mind. If I knew Polish I'd translate. Your other mistakes are too numerable to count, but my Latin's no better.

Oh please, don't eat him alive. Discussing in foreign language is quite stressing. Counting mistakes, makes it even harder.

Regards from Polish player!
Badania opinii publicznej opierają się na fałszywej przesłance, że publiczność posiada opinię.
Nalaris

Postby Nalaris » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:47 am

Like I said, my Latin's no better. My Latin's barely understandable, but he's only made one major mistake.
Octavio

Postby Octavio » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:00 am

I just want to make clear that my timer suggestion was just as last resource alternative. I'm all for an event when someone puts on or takes of a mask.

And the reason I suggested renaming the mask itself was both for being realistic and easy to implement. If you see someone with a mask and latter another person with the same mask, you'll easilly think it's the same person. As for implementation, it would be fairly easy to set dynamic naming for masks, I guess!

Anyway, I like WojD's idea of not renaming the mask. You see the person put on the mask if you're present, you'll see "a person with a cotton mask" do the actions, but you won't be abble to tell one from another. This will make thiefs life a bit more easy without breaking game balance. The only drawback with this one is that it won't be possible to exist masked heros since you won't be able to identify them. What do you think is more important? I guess there won't be heros anyway, so I vote for not renaming the mask. :)
Carpe Diem
amika-babilfrenzo

Postby amika-babilfrenzo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:38 am

I agree with the people above that changing into a mask should be viewable. Superman has to change into his costume in a phone booth, right?

As for names, I would imagine people would create their own nicknames for superheroes and criminals even if they couldn't be named with their mask on, sort of like how serial killers get names based on their methods. I doubt someone acting heroic would have to hold a press conference and say "Yeah, my supername is [insert name here]." And if you need your hero to have a name, perhaps have them arrive in an appropriately fast vehicle named for them (the issue of where the vehicle is when they're not being heroes pops up, but a hero thinks these things through.)
joo

Postby joo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:19 pm

Gran

Postby Gran » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:15 am

joo wrote:Image

Omgwin.

You made that?
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
joo

Postby joo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:36 am

Yes, I've posted it twice before.
Dev

mask

Postby Dev » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:25 am

I'm okay with the idea of having articles 'mask' an identity. Such that it would appear as "a man wearing a scarf".

I'm not sure what i think about having your character literally appear as being a different person though. I think this would be incredibly confusing. Maybe if "disguise" was a type of skill with others having the ability to counter that.

I dunno
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:14 am

It would be neat if some gear would allow concealing your gender as well.
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:24 am

You mean like strap-on... things?
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:43 am

Sure, although the "Cantrians have no sex organs" people and "someone please think of the children!" people might disagree. I think if it was possible to make items like a wooden phallus, it wouldn't be awfully explicit since I doubt all kids even know what phallus means. But at least bra stuffings and chest bindings, those couldn't be considered obscene in the build/clothing menu.

I had a f2m transsexual character and had to either emote how they look like or include "and I'm a guy" or "and I'm not a girl" after introductions since otherwise everyone would see him as a girl. It would've been easier if he could've at least made chest bindings out of hemp cloth without having to emote it. Then there would be even a slight chance of someone realizing from the character description that maybe this person doesn't want to look like a woman.
Not-so-sad panda
Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:18 am

SekoETC wrote:Sure, although the "Cantrians have no sex organs" people and "someone please think of the children!" people might disagree. I think if it was possible to make items like a wooden phallus, it wouldn't be awfully explicit since I doubt all kids even know what phallus means. But at least bra stuffings and chest bindings, those couldn't be considered obscene in the build/clothing menu.

I had a f2m transsexual character and had to either emote how they look like or include "and I'm a guy" or "and I'm not a girl" after introductions since otherwise everyone would see him as a girl. It would've been easier if he could've at least made chest bindings out of hemp cloth without having to emote it. Then there would be even a slight chance of someone realizing from the character description that maybe this person doesn't want to look like a woman.

Too bad that kids got Internet.
They know more than you'd ever imagine.
- Every person lost in war is two too many.
- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.
- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- I believe in True Love, do you?
amika-babilfrenzo

Postby amika-babilfrenzo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:32 pm

I think the idea of bra-stuffing, and chest binding in Cantr could be interesting. But yeah... wooden phallus... just no.
Kilroy was not here
Josephpowers

Postby Josephpowers » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:11 am

I am still for the mask idea. This suggestion shouldnt go to the graveyard.

concealing an identity with a mask is a good idea...
or even a hooded robe with a mask as clothing.

;)
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:05 am

Piscator wrote:You mean like strap-on... things?

Keep it behind closed doors...
-
As for on topic, it doesn't seem like it will work.

nitefyre wrote:I think he meant that the main identity of "man in his twenties" Would be replaced by "man with a veil" but if you knew them, they'd be changed to "John Hopkins" whether or not they wore the mask. But if you use <cantr> it 'd have the (man with a veil) making the case shown not able to be worked out. Since all you'd hafta do is mark the man "Criminal 780" or something and you'd still know who it was.
My old banner ;)

Return to “Suggestions”