Keys to open several locks

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Tincho

Keys to open several locks

Postby Tincho » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:12 pm

This is my proposal: A key that can open many locks. Simple as that.

So when a character needs to make a lock, he has two options: the first, making the lock as usual (when the project ends, the result is a numbered key that only works with that lock); the second, if the character have any key, he can make a lock that works with that key (when the project ends, the result is a copy of that key).

For the second option may be necessary to use a file.
SekoETC

Re: Keys to open several locks

Postby SekoETC » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:29 pm

It would be useful if for example if you had an apartment complex, the keys to the apartments could all also open the main door. Or if you had a hotel or an apartment complex, there could be a master key that can open all the locks. But currently lock numbers are the same thing as the id of the lock object, so they would have to be turned into two separate things since two objects can't have the same id. It would make sense if here was a limited number of combinations so that when you make a new lock and a key for it, it might randomly be the same number as someone else's lock.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:09 pm

Skeleton key.

New lock type: skeleton lock
New key type: tenant key

Skeleton locks are made the same as a normal lock, except you have to add the key you want to use on it into the project. Once we implement multiple outputs for projects, you can then get out the original key, a lock with the same number as the key but appended with a letter (345678A), and a tenant key for of the same number. The skeleton key then ignores the letter, opening any lock with the same number. The tenant key doesn't ignore the letter.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Tincho

Postby Tincho » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:46 am

I like your idea. It's better than mine.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:03 pm

Master Key:

Idea - you take a bunch of keys, put them onto some machine, and output a single master key that opens all the locks of the original keys. Unlike regular keys, the lock IDs it opens would be kept invisible, so only the creator of the key would know what they open.
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:16 pm

mhhh.. I like orginal Tincho idea. And it should be easy in implementation.
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

https://www.kinkykitty.pl
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:19 am

Nothing wrong with his idea. It's conceptually simple.
Yang

Postby Yang » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:02 pm

So, can we move it to accepted?
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:09 pm

I think so. It's good idea.

One additional suggestion for it: it should be necessary to have specific key in the inventory to proceed with the creating lock project (to avoid strange situations).
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’

Return to “Suggestions”