Market stall - to buy and sell like we've always wanted to.

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

bobbogum

Postby bobbogum » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:46 am

If we were to go with the Vending machines you should be able to have any item for it's Currency.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:07 am

It's been a few months. Have the staff discussed the idea and implementation, and what conclusions did they come to in those discussions? :D
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:11 am

Didn't this die for a reason?

OH RIGHT! Decreases the chance for character interaction and RP which goes against what the core of Cantr is. NOW I REMEMBER! :lol:
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:27 am

There's nothing of that sort associated with this idea.
catpurr

Postby catpurr » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:59 am

Cogliostro wrote:There's nothing of that sort associated with this idea.

Exactly.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Cogliostro wrote:It's been a few months. Have the staff discussed the idea and implementation, and what conclusions did they come to in those discussions? :D

It went into the GAC and never came out. I could lead a recovery crew inside, but it might be too dangerous. Chances are, it died of starvation inside.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:41 pm

I'd appreciate it if at least the skull could be salvaged for me. For desktop use as a bookstop and reminder of the touching frailty of the good things in life.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:36 am

Our objection to automation is not a religious, uncomprehending hatred of it, but a very specific kind of objection: we don't want anything in the game which (like NPCs or other automations) isn't player-made and player-operated, because including such things would ruin the "purity" of Cantr as an intersting experiment in society-simulation powered by real people, not by pieces of AI code. This suggestion in no way impinges on that purity.

False. This isn't realistic. Handing things directly to people is. In my opinion this really would go against what Cantr's about.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:34 am

Your arguments are welcome, fellow simian. "Not realistic" isn't an argument when we're considering an infinitely practical gameplay-enhancing convenience.
returner

Postby returner » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:40 am

Joshuamonkey wrote:Yes, but trades are difficult without running the risk of someone running off.

I'll tell you what's realistic. If I pass someone an item for trade, and they run off, I should be able to grab them and get my item back.
But can I? No. It's unrealistic. I should be able to stop him.

So you're saying that if someone stole something from you in RL you'd absolutely be able to catch him? THAT, is unrealistic.
If you want to catch the guy that stole from you, chse him down with some friends and kill him... You can't expect to just be able to "get it back"...

If life were like that, you wouldn't need Visa!
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:46 am

I sometimes wonder if returner, Cogliostro and Darel are playing the same game as the rest of us or are oblivious.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:02 pm

So you're saying that if someone stole something from you in RL you'd absolutely be able to catch him? THAT, is unrealistic.
If you want to catch the guy that stole from you, chse him down with some friends and kill him... You can't expect to just be able to "get it back"...

Last edited by Snake_byte on Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My old banner ;)
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:19 pm

Snake_byte wrote:
returner wrote:Yes, but trades are difficult without running the risk of someone running off.

I'll tell you what's realistic. If I pass someone an item for trade, and they run off, I should be able to grab them and get my item back.
But can I? No. It's unrealistic. I should be able to stop him.

Fixed! You made Joshuamonkey look like a total idiot, had to fix that. :)
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:28 pm

:? Thanks, Dudel.

:oops: Sorry, Joshuamonkey...
My old banner ;)
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Doug R. wrote:
Cogliostro wrote:It's been a few months. Have the staff discussed the idea and implementation, and what conclusions did they come to in those discussions? :D

It went into the GAC and never came out. I could lead a recovery crew inside, but it might be too dangerous. Chances are, it died of starvation inside.

I will look into it again and report back here.

Return to “Suggestions”