Market stall - to buy and sell like we've always wanted to.

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Cogliostro

Market stall - to buy and sell like we've always wanted to.

Postby Cogliostro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:22 am

The proposed Market Stall is implemented behind the scenes as a unique type of vehicle, that is built in place outside and cannot move.

The builder/owner, as usual gets a key to their new, named market stall. They can enter inside. When a person is inside, the stall is "manned" by the shopkeeper (or anyone else with the key to get in) and can be operated by punters from the outside. On the vehicles/buildings page for the punters, market stalls have a special "Deals" or "Offers" button.

Clicking this takes you into a completely new screen. On this screen we see:

- the contents of a unique editable note (cannot be picked up) that resides inside the market stall. This is where the owner can write anything they want, include HTML and pictures like usual, to brand the appearance and message of their personal market stall. Here they advertise their main deals, requests etc. The same thing could be implemented as an interactive object (brings up the note editor for that note) inside the stall also.

- everything placed on the floor of the market stall "vehicle" by the owner becomes the shop's inventory. To this end, dropping an object while inside a market stall looks the same to players, but is handled a little differently than usual by the server: when you drop something while inside a market stall each object (only while it's on the floor of the stall) gains an extra button called "Price".

- The "Price" button when clicked displays a simple screen where you are prompted to

"Please select the resource type and amount you are asking in trade for this item. "
Resource: [listbox of possible resources]
Amount you ask for: [ ]

You first select from a simple dropdown box the resource type, i.e. iron, and then you enter the exact amount you want to price your dropped item at. Suppose you had 1000g of potatos dropped and you set the asking resource type to iron and the amount to 10g. Now, people outside who click the "Deals" button of your fledging new market stall will see (centered) :

John Doe's Lil Seaside Shoppe!
~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~~~

- Selling 1000g potatos for 10g of iron - [PURCHASE]

The potatos are the only item the shopowner has priced so far, so that's all we see appearing in the list. Other items might be on the floor of the stall, but they don't appear yet.

Of course, the point of this screen is to click on [PURCHASE]

This in turn displays to the buyer a very simple screen similar to current pick-up / drop item screens:

"1000g of potatos is being offered in exchange for 10g iron.
Enter how much iron you want to pay: [ ] "

Now let's say I only had 3g of iron, and so I enter 3g. My 3g iron goes into the inventory of the shopkeeper (inside of his market stall), and, only 300g of potatos go into my inventory. So you see, you can this way make very convenient partial purchases without tedious back-and-forth that can take days only to determine who has how much of what and what they want for it.

Key points of the suggestion which are sure to be contentious in ensuing discussion:

- This is not automation, because nothing is automated. Without a shopkeeper character inside, the market stall is inoperable.

- Our objection to automation is not a religious, uncomprehending hatred of it, but a very specific kind of objection: we don't want anything in the game which (like NPCs or other automations) isn't player-made and player-operated, because including such things would ruin the "purity" of Cantr as an intersting experiment in society-simulation powered by real people, not by pieces of AI code. This suggestion in no way impinges on that purity.

- Estimated programming complexity? Moderate. Expected effect on the game world? Difficult to comprehend, with deeply reverberating ramifications throughout, and all extremely positive. The crucial benefit is not even that you can trade much more efficiently, but that newbie characters and the generally dispossesed, suddenly see how much STUFF is actually available to them - if only... they had a little iron, for this and that. This directly motivates them into procuring whatever is needed to procure the items they want. Innumerable other advantages, especially for shops that sell RolePlay items like jewelery and clothing are obvious; at last, people who want something can find it in your shop for themselves, instead of you having to continuously find new people who want something you made. Seeing a ring for sale, may give a young lovelace character the idea that it's the exact ring he should give to his beau, and launch a whole epic story about how he jumped out of his skin to get it, and then Nick MacGregor looted the shop and killed everyone including the beau.

- Important limitations. Items can't be traded into the stall from the outside, this is obvious from the suggested implementation. Only resources, basically anything measured in grams. For trades where you give the shopkeep your sabre and he gives you 1000g potatos, you'll have to make old-fashioned verbal arrangements instead. Other limitations: when you as the owner of the stall set the asking price for your items or resources, it's 1-per-item. That is, you can't sell the same 1000g of potatos for 10g iron and for 15g diamonds at the same time. I imagine that'd be too complicated, requiring weird programming to do. So we kept it simple, one associated asking price per item on the ground is stored only. Picking up the item from the floor of the stall clears the associated asking price from the database, so it has to be set again. This way shopowners are able to reset/change the prices or types of resources they ask for at any time.

- Shopkeepers themselves are easily able to sell any item, at any price they decide, expressed in any resource they decide! They can sell tools, weapons, clothes, and even notes! If the item is not divisible into grams (i.e. a sword), then you must pay the full price or you cannot buy it.

- Stalls are protected by a lock like usual buildings or vehicles and hence can be broken into, repossessed, renamed etc.

- We need to discuss a reasonable approach to limiting the proliferation of market stalls, so that they do not overload the building/vehicle list, or a way to somehow display them as their own category. The original idea calls for static stalls, but perhaps, since they are vehicles, they could be made mobile (very slow variety). This way, town leaders who are unhappy with rampant capitalism in their town, for instance, could order all shop owners to get the heck out by dawn, or else.

- If we decided market stalls should be moveable, then it will be important to make them extremely slow, less than a human on foot. This will make it inefficient to trudge your stall from town to town. Much better to build a proper rickshaw or van, if you want to work this way. But on the other hand, for the trader who stays in the same town and perhaps buys wares from the travelling ones, the market stall can't be beat.

- Sitting inside a market stall establishes that character as an active trader, point of interest for anyone visiting by sea or road vehicles. That man in his twenties would've looked like nothing special to you before, but since he's in a fancy market stall, you know he knows something or someone, and can help you with your needs. What's he trading? just click on "Deals" and you'll see what he has on offer in the stall, but also importantly his HTML message. Currently towns are littered with useless notes of the form "John's trade goods..."; you pick it up, and want something, but who the heck is John? It turns out he was someone who lived during the years 845-967... and on the Dutch island. With the stall's HTML message you read on the "Deals" screen, you know exactly who, what, and can even get (some of it) right now.

- Sophisticated roleplaying can arise when traders inside stalls combine using the stall with oldfashioned barter exchanges, allowing furious haggling and price wars between neighbour shopkeepers to occur. (it's easy to be dynamic and in response to arising situations, such as bitter scoldings from punters or other traders, to change the asking price of anything you like, when you the owner are inside the market stall)

- I would suggest several different types of stalls, made of varying materials, including for example gold and diamonds for the fanciest. The function of having the fanciest stall would be that, the fancier you are, the closer to the top of the list of local stalls you appear. No sorting by alphabetical name, to prevent "_111AA Shoppes". A higher weight allowance for the fancy steel-requiring stalls permits the trader to have a bit of a respite from daily restocking duty. By the way, I have tasted some of this kind of activity in other games, and it is EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE, moreso by far than any kind of monster-hunting. With a little imagination, we can call forth a reasonable range of a few possible market stalls. From simple and rustic (build requirements: wood, hide) to amazingly fancy (build requirements: windowglass, silk, "stainless" steel). :D

- Oldfashioned trading isn't going extinct from this, on the contrary, it gets a greatly needed boost. Many town owners/leaders, I think, will set up Market Stalls and have someone sell stuff that normally just rots uselessly inside of their buildings, without anyone even knowing about its existence (typically, the town leader meant to do whatever with it, but... they just forgot). A variety of tools and "rare" resources will this way become available to people who need them for something.
Last edited by Cogliostro on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:49 am, edited 30 times in total.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:54 am

In real life, the owners of market stalls and shops rarely care to man them themselves. Instead, they hire a cashier. This is a person who they trust with the key to the cash register.

With the implementation of market stalls, for the first time ever in Cantr, it would become possible to have other (trusted) characters operate local parts of your trading business ON COMISSION for you even while you are away. Why? Simply because, upon setting up what you have for sale in the market stall, you can always make a list, and write down how much iron (for example) selling all of it would have to bring in. When you return to the location (assuming your trusted associate hasn't jilted you, escaping with all the goods and maybe even the stall itself), your friend gives you the 2300g of iron you expected to make. You congratulate them on the excellent work, and pay them with 300g of iron, their cut of it.

Finally, since this idea gives me a major "hard-on" when I imagine all the possibilities for Cantrian fun it'll enable, I want to offer my own skills as a PHP programmer to help prototype, test, and put it into place. Barring of course, GAB vetos or major pitfalls I'm too stupid to notice at the moment, I think the hardest part is to figure out how to get the "dynamic" addition of a new button to objects only when they are on the floor of the stall and to remove it as soon as they are picked up. My gut tells me it should be very possible, but it does probably need the highest possible code access privileges etc. etc. to do.
Last edited by Cogliostro on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:12 am

Seems awfully complicated. I much prefer the suggestion from way back about vending machines. Either suggestion would only work in big towns, and the machine version would promote the use of coins.... if anyone still wants such things..
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:22 am

Just one of those things, difficult to explain every detail on paper, intuitive in practice. Drop your stuff, set your prices, man your stall - that's it! Unlike the coin-op, there's no hint of automation here, and it can be used anywhere not only large towns with coin production.
BZR

Postby BZR » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:31 am

Some automation in trade should be implemented IMO. I remember the discussion about vending machines, and the arguments against were mostly no because no.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:40 pm

This post is far too long to read. Sorry, you really need to relax.

Just one of those things, difficult to explain every detail on paper, intuitive in practice. Drop your stuff, set your prices, man your stall - that's it! Unlike the coin-op, there's no hint of automation here, and it can be used anywhere not only large towns with coin production.

That's much more concise. It may not strictly be automation, but it decreases the need for a player to log into the game, which in turn decreases role-play. Any suggestion that decreases a player's need to play his characters, I think I need to say no to on principle, since abandoned characters are already such a pervasive problem.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Elros

Postby Elros » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:30 pm

Doug R. wrote:This post is far too long to read. Sorry, you really need to relax.

That's much more concise. It may not strictly be automation, but it decreases the need for a player to log into the game, which in turn decreases role-play. Any suggestion that decreases a player's need to play his characters, I think I need to say no to on principle, since abandoned characters are already such a pervasive problem.

I can tell you didn't read the whole post or you would have noticed that you need to be online a good bit for the market stall to be succsesful. This isnt something you set up and then log off for a week and when you get back on you have a pile of iron. This is something that has to be set up and restocked often, and you always have to deal and haggle with other players.

I will say that this is one of the longest posts I have read on here, and that is saying a lot since I have read near 10,000 over the last few years.

When I started reading the first part I was against the idea. It seemed like another complicated, automated, Cogliostro idea. HOWEVER, the more I read, and the more I imagined all of the RP possibilities with the market stall, I really started to fall for it. By the end of the post(an hour later ;) ), I was definetly for the idea.

Yes it needs some tweaking, and yes it will take a lot of work, but YES, it will make for some great RP and a lot more trading and interaction going on between characters.

Great Idea!
Every action has a consequence.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:32 pm

Well, unfortunately, the post is prohibitively long, and I can't take the time to read it (I'm not being a dick, I seriously don't have time). When a concise and correct summary is posted, I'll toss in my two cents.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:46 pm

Tip: Print it out and read it in the loo. Then if you don't like it, you can take immediate GAB action!

I would ask that without reading it, you don't veto or criticize my magnum opus. Fair is fair?
Last edited by Cogliostro on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryaga

Postby Ryaga » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Doug R. wrote:Well, unfortunately, the post is prohibitively long, and I can't take the time to read it (I'm not being a dick, I seriously don't have time). When a concise and correct summary is posted, I'll toss in my two cents.
Forcing the player to log in doesn't create roleplay. At all.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:32 pm

The Market Stall actually greatly increases the need to play your character. It decreases the need to be awake at the same exact time as others in Cantr; which is very much in line with its original vision and design goal.

Unrelated to the above comment, I just want to throw in some tidbits, short illustrative scenarios for people who are like Doug really having difficulty with longer posts about anything. Cherrypick any paragraph and read just that, see if you like it.

You're a new to Cantr. It's a small town you spawned at, with gatherable cotton, potatos and not much else. You say your name and look around. Nobody is awake yet. Wow, there's a person inside a market stall - you open the screen and see that the town leader has set up shields, bows, and some useful tools for sale here, and the prices are all given in cotton. You gather some cotton and are now the owner of certain meager possessions, and experienced the first real success in the game. It makes you feel like things in this game just work, they work and are reasonable. More than that, it's all operated by players here, there aren't any artificial monsters or NPCs. Day by day, you're hooked more and more, learn about roleplaying and you are on your way. Sure, there will be many other crumsy and stupid things you'll encounter (until we fix most of them), but your critical first experience with Cantr was a very positive one, instead of saying your name and getting a one-week silence in return...

The scene is now Doryiskom, a bustling city-state on the English island. Its harbour is full of abandoned, repossed, etc. ships of every kind. The town leaders have set up a Market Stall, which sells numbered keys. Mmm, the rakers are quite costly, asking for thousands of grams of iron, and that fully rigged one is ridiculous, at 10,000g. But the longboats? They're only asking 1500g gas for that here. You and friends decide you'll become seafarers and together collect the gas, buy the ship, and life is great. To do so, you earn a little iron somewhere and buy some ready-made secondhand gas valves from another local shop. This should have been possible with normal trade, but we all know, it only very rarely is. Whoever currently sells ships, houses, or vehicles consistently in Cantr? With their own market stalls, you bet they will. More than that, there will be people who will build, buy and steal vehicles with the sole purpose of selling them to the people who actually sell them in their popular market stall at a place like Doryiskom.

Another scene. A rugged mining town that has some serious gear built up, drills, quarries, and so it minds its own business and uses them as God intended. All is sleepy and boring, until one day a clever trader arrives. He: 1) commandeers a local abandoned building for himself for cheap 2) builds a coke oven and a distillation stack to produce petrol 3) gets his friends to ship him more oil regularly. Outside in the town, he sets up shop in a primitive little market stall for now. He's selling petrol useful to run the drills: more better faster, and the prices are for now in coal or whatever, that is gatherable locally. A little oldfashioned verbal advertising and a well-written HTML message for the market stall, pointing out how it's only reasonable to buy petrol to use on your drill, since you'll make more profit that way - and, miracle! Miracle! Everyone is buying petrol. Not just the town leader, who buys a lot at a time, but every random guy drifting through the town is buying the petrol as soon as he can. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of small transactions each day: 50g petrol here, 100g petrol there... For the intrepid trader, it's all adding up. Soon he's got a stainless steel stall with diamonds all over it, and owns half the buildings in the town. Until, that is, the town leader wises up and sets up his own distillation and his own stall, getting the first guy to gently or not so gently "move on to other places". Now those of you who consider themselves anal RP fanatics, tell me, who could possibly be awake or suffer the sheer drudgery of manually carrying out two dozen tiny manual trade transactions a day, instantly on demand from other players? It's humanly impossible, but absolutely necessary in the game itself... That's the reason why 2/3 of Cantr's economies are at a virtual standstill, not the absence of agreed currencies or anything like that.

Another scenario. The poet Alurae Drumazaen has a little stall in Siom where he simply sells notes. Things he's written and created. "Sell" is a big word for it really, the asking prices are symbolic only. A little food. But he happens to really like icecream. The character does. So he sets it up to offer some controversial in-demand poems about the town leader's wife to only be buyable with icecream. Now you're a bored traveller and you find this market stall. Who here WOULDN'T at least consider jumping out of his skin to buy those "touchy" poems? And what if you're playing the wife? "Here's your goddamn icecream, Alurae!, just stop writing anything about me!"

Once you've read and understood about Market Stalls, you'll be able to write your own little scenarios better than I can, and all day long if necessary. So maybe it's worth the time to read it? I thought it was worth the time to write it all down in detail and share with you.
Last edited by Cogliostro on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:39 pm

This might be tedious to implement though.

And let's not forget about the user interface for it.

A dropdownlist with all the resources/coin types/objects in it would be way too big.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:46 pm

That's why that dropdown list, in the suggestion, contains only resources. No objects of any kind. If that's still found to be way too long for use, we can adopt a two-tier approach:

- one default dropdown box for the most commonly useful types of resources
- under it, the optional "Other" listbox that has the monster list of all possible resources.

What do you think, Peanut?
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:50 pm

This would surely improve the game a lot.... And it would make it easier for newspawns to get a shield and food.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Thinking about addressing the problem we might run into where there are just too many market stalls in a location (people died and left them behind, etc.), I was just wondering if we are technically able to make vehicles deteriorate like other objects. Then the solution seems clear, make all stalls subject to fairly quick deterioration, so owners have to maintain them or they will crumble. The primitive ones would be especially susceptible, and much less so for the fancy windowglass-and-steel ones.

Return to “Suggestions”